my first computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xsports

Reaction score
so as you can tell am a pretty new diver..Im buying my first computer.I am interested in the pro plus 2 or the Vt3 but im just not advanced enough to know which one to get.Can anyone help me or would even like to share there story?:confused: Thanks so much

I recommend Sunto Mosquito conservative useful friendly stuff reliable easy to replace new battery.

Sorry, what brands?

What kind of diving will you be doing? Are you NitrOx certified? If not, do you plan on taking NitrOx in the next couple years?

What are your goals in diving?

These questions will help us help you pick the right computer.

FD

Whatever you get, I say spend the extra few bucks and get a computer thats nitrox-ready; chances are in the next few years you'll get nitrox certified - then you won't need to buy a new computer. Thats what I did.. I bought my computer this past spring (Genesis ReactPro) and I plan on doing nitrox over Christmas.

S.

I say stay away from air-integrated. I need to explain why: I REALLY like the idea of a air-integrated computer but so often when someone comes on my boat with a air-integrated computer that doesn't work. 9 out of 10 times these divers don't have a backup gauge, so they have to use our gear. While this doesn’t matter to me, they're usually upset as they've put quite a few $ into their gear.
If you absolutely must buy any air-integrated computer, GET A BACKUP AIR GAUGE! But then you think: If I've already got the air gauge, why bother with air-integrated? I can't give you a good answer (it’s a cool toy maybe?). Again I really like the concept of being air-integrated, but it doesn't work out often enough that I would recommend against buying one. Check out the VEO series if you're into Oceanic gear.
I'm sure that many people will say the opposite, that their air-integrated computer works perfectly every time, but that has not been my experience. The boat I work on takes up to 14 divers per day, so I see ALOT of gear being used.
All the above being true, I still have to say I really want to be air-integrated. If your choice were between the pro plus 2 or the Vt3, I'd go with the VT-3: it’s smaller, wireless (how cool is that) and wrist mounted. Of course if you have any vision issues then the pro-plus has got really BIG numbers that are really easy to see.
As a final tidbit of information: all computers by Oceanic run on the same algorithm. This means that any 2 Oceanic computers on the same dive will read the same data. I believe this is true for most companies. This means that when choosing between two computers made by the same manufacturer, pick based on the features you like (i.e. wrist mounted, nitrox capable, bottle opener, whatever).
I hope this was all helpful.

sbrooks:
Whatever you get, I say spend the extra few bucks and get a computer thats nitrox-ready; chances are in the next few years you'll get nitrox certified - then you won't need to buy a new computer.
S.

I second this thought. The main reason I haven't bothered with Nitrox is that I don't feel like buying (and learning) a new computer.

I keep saying that when my computer dies, I'll start diving nitrox.

Grounded:
I second this thought. The main reason I haven't bothered with Nitrox is that I don't feel like buying (and learning) a new computer.

I keep saying that when my computer dies, I'll start diving nitrox.

Why on earth do you need a new computer to dive nitrox? Use your brain.

as others have stated, make sure its nitrox capable. I made the mistake, got an air only console computer thinking I was never going to do nitrox.. what for... air is fine.. well... I now own a vyper and the air computer sits in my closet.

the only thing I noticed from the 2 options you mentioned was one seemed like a console, one a wrist mount. I have both and significatly prefer wrist mount, easier to see while ascending, at safety stop, moving your arm in front of your face is easier than looking down at your console, smaller console is more streamlined, etc. These, however, are personal preference items and I am sure others have different experiences/opinions.

hope this helps.

TheFoggyMask:
Why on earth do you need a new computer to dive nitrox? Use your brain.

I'd assume because he has a non nitrox capable computer now
and he doesn't want to use tables which assume square profiles.
-----------------------------------------------------

xsports,
Having a nitrox computer makes using nitrox easier
and calculates loading better than tables.
My dives in Cayman on a live-aboard using steel 95s would
have been shortened quite a bit had I been using nitrox on
tables and substantially shorter or fewer dives/day using air.

That being said, since you said you are a new diver, you
probably wouldn't be able to take full advantage of nitrox
until you get your air consumption down.

As far as computers go, the Aeris AI is basically the same
computer as the Oceanic Pro Plus 2, slightly different
more compact form factor.

If you want/need to save some bucks and don't have to have
air integrated but still want nitrox capability, something like the
Aeris Atmos 2 is a good buy right now. Under $300 or
the full Atmos 2 console with SPG and compass for just over
$400.

--- bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom