My Experience in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adrian_london

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all

This is just a quick post to let you know about my recent experience in Maui.

I arrived on the island knowing that I wanted to complete my PADI Open Water course. After speaking to a few different people and moving about I ended up completing my course at Pacific Dive on Dickenson Street in Lahiana.

The owners are Arty and Piper. I had a lot more dealings with Piper throughout my time in Maui. She was very helpful and cheerful. In fact, I never saw her without a smile on her face. There was a man who worked there by the name of Mike who was also very pleasant to deal with. My dive instructor was a man called Patrick. He was excellent. Also very friendly and we had fun while completing the course. It was not made out like 'boot camp'. Although I had trouble clearing my mask at first he gave me the encouragment I needed. There was no pressure and with his help I managed to complete all of the requirements.

The other great part about it was that they were VERY competativley priced. In fact, they were the cheapest about that I could find. I was more than happy with the costs. Their prices on the rental gear was also very competitive. I did get a slight discount on the tanks I used as I completed the course there. I'm sure that is normal with most companies but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

I cannot speak highly enough of Pacific Dive in all departments.

I have been out on a few dives since gaining my certification and they were even able to find me a dive buddy with PLENTY of experince. He was a really nice guy called "Pops". I learned from him too (thanks Pops!!!).

I did hire a scuba kit from Maui Dive after gaining my certification and to say I didn't like their gear was an understatement. I went back to Pacific Dive and gladly used their gear for the rest of my time.

Just so you all know, I do not work for Pacific Dive and they have not asked me to write this. Please do not look at this posting as an advertisment for them. I am just happy with how they did things and I'm on my way home very soon with lots of pictures and great memories.

If anyone wants to ask me any questions on my experience with them or anything else to do with my diving experience in Maui then please do drop me a PM. I will not discuss actual costs on an open forum as I believe that is a little rude but I will answer any cost questions in a PM.

Adrian

Pops is a nice guy -- I dove with him a few trips back.

Glad you had a good experience and good introduction to diving.

AWESOME! Another Maui success story. Thanks for sharing. And by the way, since there wil be some confusion, who do you mean when you say Maui Dive? Mahalo again!

Congratulations on getting certified and glad you had a great time - what's funny is that I had just called "Pops" to say hi and while we were talking (on the phone now) I came across this thread. He was my first "regular" dive buddy (we started diving together on my third dive I think) and is a great guy to dive with.

Hope you are able to return to our islands again soon and enjoy even more of the beauty.

Aloha, Tim

The shop I wasn't happy with their equipment was Maui Dive Shop in Black Rock. They were in the shopping complex. I THINK it was called Whalers Wharf. Although the service was good their actual equipment wasn't. Every time I inhaled it made a nasty noise. As I'm so inexperienced it might be something very simple to fix or just a bad piece of equipment. Yes, I could have gone back and changed it but at the time I really couldn't be bothered.

Back
Top Bottom