My dive flag story - a near miss!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone drops an anchor near me when I am diving and I will cut the line.

I have been float diving off the East Coast of Florida and have had more than one boat come straight at our dive flag as we were surfaced waiting for our dive boat to come pick us up. Scary. Once, we had to descend to make sure we were not tun over.

Not nearly as scary, but I've been ice diving and had some ice fisherman wander up to within a few yards of the dive hole, with a dive flag flying, and start fishing in one of the vent holes.

Usually a few terse words will wake them up to the fact that dive flag laws apply regardless of if the water is liquid or solid :)

As a new diver you guys are a weath of information. Thanks!

I think that that once your 3 miles out it becomes federal waters
3 miles on the Atlantic side; 9 miles in the Gulf.
Rick

enough of my ignorant post regarding the neccessity of a flag when spearfishing from a surfboard...i decided last night im going to sacrifice my board and fiberglass a flagpole onto it for a 3'X5'!

and i love the idea of luminous munitions! gotta get me some of those!

My gosh, I realize this topic is old, but it's never one that's far from any diver's mind.
I have a number of opinions about boat laws and I'll offer one real quick as a side bar;
California has no restrictions on boat ownership/operation when it comes to private boats.
With the exception of a child under 12, or a drunk/impaired person, anyone can operate a boat without the slightest inkling as to the rules of the road or even common courtesy.
I've been a boater most of my life here in Southern California, where the adage is "Any idiot can own a boat", if you need proof, go to your local launch ramp....
I've seen incredible stupidity and lack of concern for anyone, much less themselves.
I've been sitting out 15 miles from land, drifting in the open ocean in the San Pedro channel, and sure enough, another boat will approach, and pass at 40 knots within 50-100 feet. They look at you like you're blocking traffic.....like I'm the problem...you have the entire ocean!!!!
Ok, before I completely lose my point;

I'd taken a friend out diving for a day, and we'd anchored my boat out off Palos Verdes, my boat is 30 feet, and although not a large vessel by comparison, certainly bigger than most that day. We'd set the anchor and I put my dive flag: I put it on my VHF antennae, which stands well over 6 feet above the highest part of my boat (which is the radar arch), the flag I bought is 4' X 6' with a wire to keep it extended without a breeze. It's VERY visible from 360 degrees no matter where you approach from.
As we prepared for our 2nd dive, and were gearing up we were commenting on the amount of boats that passed us, typically "weekend warrior" fisherman on a tralerable boat out for a day of fishing. Most passed well within 200 feet, and as we were getting ready to jump in, I watched as the F/V Matt Walsh, which is a well known local fishing charter boat, approach my bow and pass the boat about 40 feet from us. I was amazed at the blatant lack of respect for both space, and the obvious diver down flag. Of course I was in my gear, so getting to the VHF and screaming at the skipper of the Matt Walsh was out of the question. I did scream and wave at the captain, who I could clearly see in the pilot house, with his black baseball cap and red t-shirt, and all of the people who'd gone out for a day of fishing....
I was so angry, these guys are supposed to be professional, and KNOW the laws....they have to take a test to operate a commercial fishing boat.

We made our dive, listening to the constant buzz of boat traffic above, we made sure to follow my anchor line to the surface (thank goodness for good nav skills as vis was awful that day). As we surfaced and made our way to the stern of the boat, I floated there for a moment discussing what we'd seen. I saw a 30 or so foot sport fishing boat, pass to the front of mine about 40 feet away, as he came around my boat, he turned suddenly right at us, we were floating off the stern hanging onto a 50 foot drag line with a large white bouy on the end of it.
As I saw this idiot turn right for us, I began frantically waving and screaming "Diver's in the water!". He came within 20 feet of my stern before he turned off, I don't know if he ever saw us, but he certainly had no clue of the flag.

I decided that was our last dive for that day.

On another trip, we were taking our surface interval as a small boat pulled up about 100 feet off my starboard side, and began fishing. The occupants were oblivious to the flag. I calmly leaned over the side of my bridge and yelled out to them "Do you guys see that flag"? pointing at the dive flag, and one of the remarked, "Uh, yeah". I said, you have no idea what it means do you, he said "no". I calmly explained to him and he stared at me, then said (it was all I could do not to jump into the water and swim over there to chat) "it's not your ocean". I said I was going to call the Coast Guard and let them explain it to them, and of course, they put their poles away and motored on.

Ok, as I try to finish this epic rant, I suppose my point is; Most boaters (not all mind you) but most have no clue of the rules, and that flag means nothing to them. Their ignorance, can be deadly to a diver who is surfacing, so; in conclusion, be very aware of your sorroundings as you surface, and when you get within 15 feet or so, wait a moment, look, listen and wait....a boat approaching will be getting very loud very quick.
It's also a good idea to carry a diver below bouy, in case you come up away from your boat or off shore, I'd much prefer to replace a $40 float tube than to have me or another diver killed by some idiot behind the wheel of his boat.
:D

They're putting auto-pilots in everything down to 25 ft center consoles. Now there isn't even an idiot behind the wheel.

Wow, this is sad! I took the coast guard auxillary boat safety course when I got mine. I didn't know you didn't have to take something.

I also took several courses when I began spending so much time on the water. I took the USCG, and the BoatUS online course.
I think we're a couple of the few who have.

That's another good point, with all the auto-pilots and auto-helm, that boat is tracking a planned course, dive flag or not, and if those idiots are all down below playing cards and not watching.....sheeeesh, I'm getting peed-off again.....

It's amazing, so many dumb people and every time state legislation tries to enact laws, they get shot down. I dunno if more laws is the answer, but some type of accountability operating a boat with some clue as to the rules just seems like the right thing to do...
Sigh.....

In Southern New England and Long Island Sound, anyone under 18 needs some type of boating safety certificate and most have to have it on them when out on the water. In Mass and New York, not cert is needed if you are over 18.

Here is CT and RI regs, but I have to tell you that it doesn't help, we have all the same problems as there is zero enforcement other then in some harbors.

As for professional mariners, well they know there is no enforcement which is where a 25mm flair come in along with a call to the Coast Guard etc.

Connecticut
DEP: Certification Requirements
Certification

A Safe Boating Certificate (SBC) will allow an individual to operate any recreational vessel registered in Connecticut except a personal watercraft ("Jet Ski" type vessel) on Connecticut’s waters. A Certificate of Personal Watercraft Operation (CPWO) will allow an individual to operate any recreational vessel including a personal watercraft ("Jet Ski" type vessel). Any person required to have a Safe Boating Certificate or a Certificate of Personal Watercraft Operation must have their certificate on board at all times while operating the vessel.

Certification Requirements: In order to obtain a Safe Boating Certificate, an individual must successfully complete an approved basic boating course. Applicants for a Certificate of Personal Watercraft Operation must successfully complete a combination Safe Boating and Personal Watercraft course or receive a passing grade on an equivalency exam administered by the DEP.

New York
BoaterExam.com - New York Boaters License Frequently Asked Questions
In order to operate a vessel on New York State (NYS) waters without adult supervision individuals must be at least 18 years of age or have successfully completed a Boating Safety Education Course and be between the ages of 10 and 18. Additionally, you must complete a Boating Safety Education Course in order to operate a PWC on NYS waters. The required boating safety certificate must be carried at all times while operating the boat.

Rhode Island
Rhode Island Boating License and Boat Safety Course - Who May Legally Operate a Boat or PWC
All those born on or after January 1, 1986, are required to pass an approved boater education course before they legally may operate any vessel powered by a motor of more than 10 horsepower. Anyone operating a personal watercraft, regardless of age, must have passed an approved boater education course. The boater education course must be one that is approved by the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management.

Operators who are required to have passed a boater education course must carry on board their certificate of completion. The Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management will issue certificates of completion to boaters passing approved courses.

Back
Top Bottom