My dive flag story - a near miss!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caribguy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here's my dive flag story.

Last August my wife and I were vacationing in the Cayman Islands. We were scheduled to be there a week. On the third day everyone at the resort was told that we would have to leave the island because of a hurricane. We were evacuated to Miami.

Not wanting to cut our week short, my wife and I rented a car and drove to Key Largo. We found a dive ship and signed up for a couple of trips.

The next morning we went out from Key Largo. One the boat was my wife, an instructor and four student divers, and I. We proceeded out on the reef and tied to a mooring ball. This was an extremely shallow dive (I guess because of the trainees). The point where we were moored was only 20 feet. My wife and I went one way while the instructor and his group went another. After about 30 minutes, my wife and I became kind of bored, after all, we had just dove Cayman two days before and this dive did not impress us, to say the least. We were right under the stern of the boat, contemplating whether to end the dive or to make another circle around. Suddenly, we heard boat engines and they were getting closer very quickly. I was right under the boarding ladder and I saw a boat plow right by in front of our boat. It was obvious that the boat was very close, but of course it's hard to judge distance underwater. After the prop wash cleared, I saw the mooring rope, which was no more that 15 feet long, floating free in the water. The boat had actually cut our mooring line. This means that the prop on that boat had come within 15 feet of our boat. I decided "Time to get out!" I got out and found the two-man crew on the radio. They were trying to contact the other boat. They said that the boat just came straight at us. They blew their horns, yelled on the radio and did all they could but the boat never turned or slowed. There were prop cuts in the mooring ball itself. The crew radioed the Coast Guard. The CG said that since no one was injured, they were not going to investigate. Oh, I left out one part. The instructor and his students, they were under the mooring ball when the boat crossed. Bear in mind that this water was only 20 feet deep!

This was perhaps the scariest dive I have been on. The boat was a very large, (about 70-ft) expensive cruiser equipped with radar, sonar, loran, and all the goodies but somehow the pilot was unable to see a 46-foot dive boat or its flag. Considering that our mooring line was 15 ft and their prop cut the mooring ball, this means that they missed hitting our boat by mere inches! It is a miracle that none of the student divers was injured. Had the boat actually hit our boat, my wife and I, too, could have been seriously injured, as we were only inches from the boarding ladder. The crew could also have been seriously injured. It was infuriating that the CG refused to investigate. We all theorized that the driver of the other boat was either drunk or on drugs, or both, but weÃÍl never know. The boat did finally stop and talk on the radio. The driver stated that he was ÅÓeading charts and did not see us. Ours was not a small boat. We were five miles off shore but we could still see land. IÃÎ sure our boat was visible for at least two miles. There was no reason for him to cruise at high speed across the reef in shallow water; thereÃÔ plenty of deeper water just a little further out off the reef.

Needless to say, I have become more aware of boats operating in the vicinity of divers. Unfortunately in this case, the driver could not see the boat, much less our dive flag! The reason I began this story telling of our interrupted Cayman trip was this, my wife and I now joke that we escaped being killed by a major hurricane only to be run over by a darned boat.:blinking:

A decade ago, before I began diving, I purchased a lot of tools from a woman recently widowed. It came out in conversation that her husband had died locally in a scuba diving accident. Evidently, surfacing not far from shore, he was decapitated by a jet ski!

That gruesome mental image has never left me.

At 5 feet, even with a flag, I stop and against all the rules, hold my breath (more exactly, pause after exhaling) for just a moment to LISTEN before committing to the surface. Scared of power boats! Avra

Last edited:
caribguy,

I wonder if it would have been better to contact the Florida Marine Patrol
since they are a law enforcement agency enforcing boating safety laws and regulations?

Wow, thanks for sharing your story.

I was on a shore dive (30ft) and a zodiac raft went above us and dropped anchor.
(This day there was at least 4 dive flag floats in the water.)
Another instructor and student were directly below and the instructor had to push his student out of the way. The anchor barely missed them. Then the boat dragged the anchor across the ocean floor. The anchor was dragged between myself and my buddy. It was crazy, we both just watched it go in between us, each of us in shock that we were seeing this happen.
My buddy was video recording our dive and surfaced to video the boat so we could later report it.

As a boat Captain you would not believe what I have seen boaters do over the years. Your story makes a great point that we really should have some kind of required boating course for pleasure boaters. There are resposible boaters that get informed are take a class but the vast majority just go buy a boat and drop it in at the boat ramp and take off. They don't know the "rules of the road," don't adhere to no wake zones, no idea what alpha flag or diver down flag looks like or means. I won't even get started on Jet ski's! I leave any area that they are in! It's scary to me that to drive a car you have to pass a written and a driving test but anyone can buy, rent, and or borrow a boat with no knowledge of how to properly operate one. I agree diving the Caymans was the best dive I have experienced thus far but I still love the Keys for a close weekend getaway. See you around the reef!

We were anchored off Point Loma, Dive Flag flying on the boat, when a 40' Cabin Crusier on Autopilot went by about 10 ft away. A woman on their bow said "Watch Out!" to us.:confused:

I have a nice old brass 24mm flair pistol and am not afraid to use it by putting the first flair right next to a wheel house, the second will go into the wheel house.

But, so far, the few times I have had to send one downrange always got the attention required and I have never had to send the second one. So far.

My husband and I have made a few dive trips to the keys every year for many years. When I read this report to him, his comment was "I can believe it". I haven't been on a boat where the mooring line was cut, but I have had several boats go directly over us while we were diving. Because of Rob Murphy's accident, I have found myself listening more while I dive. In the past, I didn't pay as much attention to the sounds of boat traffic, figuring that the other boats captains knew there were divers down and would be watching for us. On our last trip to Key Largo, I was amazed at how much traffic there was around me.

Thank you Caribguy for your post and thanks to NetDoc for setting up the forum. I know that it has raised my awareness and I hope that it makes other divers safer as well.

Back
Top Bottom