My dive flag story - a near miss!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And in CT at least, if you have had a few beers on the water, you better not be at the helm. In CT drunk boating and drunk driving laws are the same and in many cases will result in the same fines etc. applied to both the boating and driving licences.

In other words, have a high blood alcohol level on the water and you can have your car drivers licence pulled, have to go to driving rehab classes, insurance cancled, etc.

In Southern New England and Long Island Sound, anyone under 18 needs some type of boating safety certificate ...snip.......Rhode Island
Rhode Island Boating License and Boat Safety Course - Who May Legally Operate a Boat or PWC
All those born on or after January 1, 1986, are required to pass an approved boater education course before they legally may operate any vessel powered by a motor of more than 10 horsepower. Anyone operating a personal watercraft, regardless of age, must have passed an approved boater education course. The boater education course must be one that is approved by the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management.

Operators who are required to have passed a boater education course must carry on board their certificate of completion. The Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management will issue certificates of completion to boaters passing approved courses.

I took this course in May 2008 with my wife and children (who are all divers) and do not recall any mention of diver flags. It is in the hand-outs but there was no discussion during the class or on the exams.

It's all related to the safe operation.
Flags, believe it or not, are designed to convey messages....
I know, I know, what message does my beer stein flag convey...."here's the party", and if I run out of beer, I hang it upside down...
Ok, getting back to my point,
Flags are displayed more now for novelty, and with that, their actual meaning has been back burnered. It should be a part of every safe boater class and it should also be a sticker applied to the dash board of all new water craft, I mean Hell, I had stickers telling me not to smoke while appying fuel, and that gas/fumes are dangerous........really? Huh, who knew?
If you're going to apply stickers that are meant to prevent an idiot from meeting his own demise, attach another one that shows both diver flags, that way, most will know it means to stay away.
I'm interested in what the laws are regarding the flag in other states.
In California, displaying the flag is not required for recreational diving, but (obviously, why wouldn't you?!). When it is displayed all vessels are to remain a minimum safe distance of 300 feet. I'd like it if it was doubled to 600...but that would just cause more problems.

Any other regs regarding the flags and their displays from other states?

As a boat Captain you would not believe what I have seen boaters do over the years. Your story makes a great point that we really should have some kind of required boating course for pleasure boaters. There are resposible boaters that get informed are take a class but the vast majority just go buy a boat and drop it in at the boat ramp and take off. They don't know the "rules of the road," don't adhere to no wake zones, no idea what alpha flag or diver down flag looks like or means. I won't even get started on Jet ski's! I leave any area that they are in! It's scary to me that to drive a car you have to pass a written and a driving test but anyone can buy, rent, and or borrow a boat with no knowledge of how to properly operate one. I agree diving the Caymans was the best dive I have experienced thus far but I still love the Keys for a close weekend getaway. See you around the reef!

You mean like driver education has given us a country full of safe and excellent drivers?!?!:eyebrow: What makes anyone think that someone stupid enough to be reading charts etc.... while operating a vessel will suddenly be a safe and sane operator after taking a course? The problem is most people don't give a wit about what their actions do to others. Especially if they think nobody is around to see it.

SharkWhisperer, Here in Rhode Island a flag is required. A fine is attached to not having one.
The same in CT and MA. I never used one in the past but these days I'm older and more safety minded. I also have emergency gear on the float which I could not have without a float. I don't like having to handle the line and keep track of the slack as I change depths, but what can be done?

I am glad i do not dive in the states with all these horror stories, you should have some kind of legislation regarding boat ownership or at least for boat operators

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom