My Dive buddy is afraid of getting eaten by a Shark.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't say that - I'm going in a couple of weeks time for a nice holiday!

Got any fava beans?
Like I replied to that guy asking to be taught about the hood--"Watcha back Jack". Don't look up at the skyscrapers or your wallet will vanish.

Like I replied to that guy asking to be taught about the hood--"Watcha back Jack". Don't look up at the skyscrapers or your wallet will vanish.
Same in most big cities tbh.

I try to avoid looking too much like a tourist when I go places I don't know. Only carry the cash I need and leave the rest in the room along with important documents. A little situational awareness goes a long way.

Have your buddy read my column:

DIVE DRY WITH DR. BILL #760: AND YOU THOUGHT SHARKS WERE DEADLY!

Recently I learned a new word: galeophobia. It is an extreme fear of sharks. And a recent digital article from SCUBA Diving magazine also caught my attention. It gave a new twist to an old story. The topic was things that were deadlier than sharks. A few, like vending machines and coconuts I've known for a long time. I generally avoid vending machines because of price rather than the danger they pose. And I've been in enough tropical dive destinations to be well aware that falling coconuts are also to be avoided. Jean-Michel Cousteau has many warning signs at his resort in Fiji.

However a number of new dangers were listed in this article and I thought I'd bring them to my reader's attention because I want all of you to be safe. And you may be safer joining me underwater than staying at home according to this piece. After all, there are usually about half a dozen deaths by shark "attack" worldwide during an average year (and we kill as many as 200 million a year). I'd say the odds were highly skewed against the sharks, not us!

But, but, but... you saw "Jaws." Well, so did I and, yes, it scared me out of the water for three years until I saw the ridiculous sequel to it. I've dived with sharks throughout the world, including a few great whites in our waters (some I didn't see but I did hear the theme from "Jaws" so I knew they were close!). The only species of shark that has ever "attacked" me was an 18" horn shark (Heterodontus francisci) and it was provoked since I tried to pick it up and move it for a better picture. This vicious fish swam up to me and tried to bite me on my chest as I laughed and spit out my regulator. So, no, those holes in my wetsuit were from wear and tear, not shark bites.

So what should you be afraid of instead of sharks. Well, hippos, horses, lions and tigers would be reasonable things to fear. But were you aware that "selfies killed more people (12) in 2015 than sharks did (8)? Some of these deaths occurred during roller coaster rides and I religiously avoid those. Elevators apparently cause more emergency room visits (10,000) than sharks although the magazine did not indicate there were any deaths due to them. Whew!

You also had better avoid those ball park franks. It was reported that about 77 children choke to death on hot dogs each year. That figure doesn't include the effects of the nitrites in them. And while you're fixing those franks in the kitchen, be very careful around the sink. Very hot tap (over 150° F) kills about 100 people each year. You are just NOT safe in your own home. Need to go to the toilet? Heck about 42 lose their lives every year by falling off one or having a child drown in one. Feeling tired after reading this? Don't go to bed. About 450 people die each year from falling out of theirs (or perhaps their partners).

If you feel the need to celebrate that you haven't been the victim of one of these, give it careful thought. I was shocked to learn that about two dozen people die each year from champagne corks! Of course about a third of these deaths occur at weddings (which can be deadly events in and of themself). Good thing I keep my bottles corked and in the fridge (since I have little to celebrate).

So by now you must feel pretty foolish about your fear of sharks... and are probably a bit leery about heading home. Well, in the interests of statistical fairness, I have to admit that there is a factor that must be considered in evaluating these risks. It is estimated there are about 7.6 billion people on Earth and they are all confined to the 30% of the planet that is solid rather than liquid. These deaths from topside events are a very small percent of the overall population. There are far fewer who venture into the other 70% of Planet Ocean, so that increases the statistical probability of a shark attack to what is still a very small level.

You can live your life in fear, or you can live it to the fullest and seek out many adventures to enrich your stay on Earth. Your choice.

© 2018 Dr. Bill Bushing. For the entire archived set of over 750 "Dive Dry" columns, visit my website Star Thrower Educational Multimedia (S.T.E.M.) Home Page

Image caption: All of these are more deadly than sharks!

DDDB 760 deadlier than sharks sm.jpg

I agree with all drbill says. But as I've often posted, I don't go looking for sharks. There is always the possibility they mistake you for their normal meal, or that they may be very old and unable to catch their normal prey. Though I probably have the least fear of flying as anyone, I wouldn't step onto a plane unless I had somewhere to go. We all know driving is way more dangerous then sharks or the possibility of plane hijacks/crashes. But most of us have a need to drive in today's world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom