My Dive buddy is afraid of getting eaten by a Shark.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian Robinson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am not. I worry more about getting left behind or losing the dive boat. I bought a emergency Nautilus Lifeline GPS (problem solved). We live in Southwest FL and will primarily being diving the Keys and probably the Caribbean. I know the chances of having an issue with a shark are about as great as getting struck by lightning in your underwear while walking the dog. Can everybody help me by giving me more real statistics and facts, so i can get him to stop researching Shark prevention products and relax. I have actually seen many sharks will snorkeling and even one when doing our cert. dives. No Problemo. All of the stuff you see on TV is "After they have bloodied up the water and chummed it up real good to get the sharks attacking anything that moves.

I don't know how useful comparisons of shark attack vs (insert mundane everyday activity) statistics really are. They are typically not done in a way that is an apples to apples comparison.

As an example, comparing car accident probability to shark attack probability is very much apples and oranges even if the attempt is made to roughly determine number of people going to beaches, ocean, etc. Exposure time would still be extremely different and not accounted for in such an example.

However, divers make up a small portion of shark attacks, although I'm not sure if that is based on normalized data since there are more surface activities and participates than divers.

The best I guess I can provide regarding helping out your friend is the following:

I recently purchased a life ins policy, there were questions about hobbies, sky diving and scuba diving were specifically asked. Then there are specific questions about the type of scuba diving you participate in. After it was determined I was open water recreational only, no overhead environment, no deco diving the premium did not change one bit from the best rate. If insurance companies with tons of data and actuaries ensuring profit are confident I'm not likely to be eaten; why shouldn't I be :)

In the entire history of diving no one who is afraid of getting eaten by a shark has ever changed their mind because of Facts provided by their Dive Buddy.

Good luck

You say this is your "dive buddy." If so, why not just do some more dives with your buddy and give your buddy a chance to see that sharks have absolutely no interest in divers? I can't count the number of times sharks have cruised right past me--generally keeping a big distance from me--and not given me a second look. Not once has it even remotely seemed to me like a shark was approaching me. I wish a shark WOULD get a little closer so I could get a picture, but they never do. Has your buddy yet seen a shark while diving? The first time he sees one, he will also see the light.

I participated on a "shark dive" once where the divemaster fed the sharks. Even then, the sharks were only interested in the food they were being given.

Sharks don't "attack" divers ... and we're not on their menu. For the most part, they're not interested in us unless we do something to make them feel threatened. I've had dozens of close encounters with sharks, including almost landing on one as I giant-strided into the water in the Red Sea last year. About the most annoying consequence is them getting too close for me to get a decent picture ... in which case I gently push them away using my camera (which usually elicits a quick "excuse me" reflex from the shark as they veer off). In Fiji a couple years ago I had to duck out of the way of a bull shark at a feeding station (fairly well-known dive site where they chum on a daily basis). It wasn't attacking ... it was trying to leave and I happened to be in the way.

IMG_8076.jpg

Your buddy has nothing to fear from sharks ... but he does risk missing out on the experience of a close encounter with these magnificent animals, which can be the highlight of a dive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Believe it or not, encountering real sharks may be helpful. Sometimes it's needful to replace a distorted, dysfunctional fantasy with a much more benign reality. The Keys are a good place to do this. First off, nurse sharks remind me more of catfish than sharks; they're about as non-threatening as your going to get. Second, the reef sharks are apt to be something of a let down from a fear perspective (assuming we're talking about no spearing, not hunting lionfish, not a shark feed dive, just a random 'fly by' encounter on a reef dive).

I didn't start out particularly afraid of sharks in general, but I had some working my way up to before doing the shark feed diving I had in mind. Started with Key Largo (trip report - you can get some idea what that was like), later a live-aboard out of Belize (shark feed dive with reef sharks, some 'passer by' reef sharks), then diving amongst the sand tiger sharks out of North Carolina (trip report - they look scary at 1st; then you realize it's like standing in a cow pasture. Yes, you're surrounded by big animals that could in theory injure you if provoked, but so what? I grew up around farms...), then later some other species.

If all else fails, the mainstream west coast Bonaire diving is highly unlikely to involve a shark encounter of any kind (8 weeks there over the years, haven't seen one there yet). Aside from the extra charge shark feed dive at a particularly site, I've read Roatan isn't big on shark encounters; anyone know differently? My point is, there are places you can go where seeing a shark is quite rare (Bonaire's west coast), and places it's almost a given (Turks & Caicos from what I'm told).

Richard.

Last edited:
In the entire history of diving no one who is afraid of getting eaten by a shark has ever changed their mind because of Facts provided by their Dive Buddy.

Good luck
They have occisonaly had their mind changed by the landlord dropping by.

It's similar to fear of flying, a problem best solved by flying rather than presenting rational arguments or statistics, however convincing these may be to those not harbouring the same fears.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom