My Cave Diving blog... On my way to the Abe Davis Award.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, keep logging, Pete. Hope Mexico is great and that it doesn't spoil you for the home-grown variety. Which one was the "Naked man surprises SF2 divers at the Lips" dive!?

Well, keep logging, Pete. Hope Mexico is great and that it doesn't spoil you for the home-grown variety. Which one was the "Naked man surprises SF2 divers at the Lips" dive!?
That would be #16 I've never seen eyes that huge in a mask before.

Elena went off without me today as I battled with Montezuma. Things have cleared up, so I hope to be in the water again tomorrow. :D Got to meet Markus and Manuel from Planet Scuba Mexico at Latitude 20 across the street for lunch. jim, jacob and Isaac have taken very good care of me over there. Great food and great service so if you're in Puerto Aventura, be sure to stop in and say hi.

Last edited:
Latitude 20 has the BEST burgers in PA! (And pretty fantastic ceviche, too.). I think we end up eating there more than anyplace else, unless Café Ole has some good live music, as they often do, or we're hungry for homemade pie.

Where did Elena dive today? (When you are writing about Florida, I yawn . . . but you're in MY backyard now, and I love reading about other people's experiences there.)

I think we're going to the 'Pit' today. We're across the street from Latitude 20, so it's more than convenient. Jim, the new owner, is as friendly as you can get as are the rest of the crew.

If you're at the Pit, one of the shallower tunnels has a really cool skeleton of a prehistoric sloth in it, on the main line not too far from the entrance. You don't want to miss that one.

06/17/2015 Quitana Roo, Mexico, with Elena. Natalie Gibbs of Under the Jungle was our Guide and Aurelio was our Sherpa.

23: Mayan Blue, Death Arrow Passage, Max depth 80. There were a number of crosses around this cenote' to memorialize the divers who died here. This isn't Florida and they set their caves up a bit differently here. Take a guide and learn the system. There's just no need to die in these beautiful caves. Mosquitoes were bad here and we ran out of repellent. I hurried into the water to wait for the girls only to be assaulted by the carnivorous tetras! Aye carumba! Why is it that they have to bite ME??? :D :D :D This was far more rustic than Edan, and I liked that. The colors and the formations on this dive were phenomenal! It wasn't a long dive before I had to turn it, but it will be a memorable one for sure.

24: Chan Hol, Main line, Max depth 43 ft. This was in someone's front yard and it was gorgeous. Yes, there were mosquitoes here as well and they were worse, probably because we had run out of the repellant at the last stop. :D The entrance to this cave is v-e-r-y tight and silty. You hold on to the line as you descend and in about 2-3 minutes you come into a fairly large room. Up on the shelf at 5 meters is a collection of bones (not human) and ancient pots. There's a decision to make right then and we took the longer, more scenic route to the right. We are less than 20 ft from the exit and there is absolutely no light coming through that passage. After about thirty feet of dark silt on the floor, the cave brightened up to a bedazzling white. Calcite glass covered the bottom and there were crystal blossoms all over the place. The formations escape my ability to describe them. The textures, the formations and the variety were just amazing. The little tetras swam with us to the very back of our 2000 ft penetration. What a cool place!

Last edited:
It's Mayan Blue, not Blue Maya . . . But how did you get to the Death Arrow passage? Did you start with A tunnel? I didn't like A tunnel much until I got in there with a bunch of people who really lit it up. It's huge, and super decorated, but with the tannic haze in the water, you just don't realize it.

I'm surprised you didn't do B tunnel. That's where Mayan Blue gets its name -- stunning white limestone and cobalt blue water.

Chan Hol is one of my favorite caves of all down there, and the best parts I've found are to the right at the T. But then you have to jump off into the smaller branch passages. We dove one which was fabulous, and at the end, the line arrow said "Kakuk", which delighted me. Chan Hol, to the left at the T, used to have a fairly complete human skeleton, but it has been removed for research purposes since I got to see it.

Glad you spent time with Natalie. If you see her again, say hello from me!

Hi Pete,

Fun to meet you as you were getting ready to enter Chan Hole and we were exiting. It just isn't possible to describe, is it. BTW, that was my 102nd post full cave cave dive; hit 100 the day before at Car Wash on a dive to Room of Tears and beyond on my first day down here this trip. Not a bad dive to mark that milestone ��.

Glad you spent time with Natalie. If you see her again, say hello from me!
She says 'Hi' back as she reads this over my shoulder. She sends big hugs to you and Peter. There are so many spots to dive here, even if we had a month! I've been happy with her choices so far. Unfortunately, we've hit a snag with Elena's ear issues and will have to sit out for today.

I will be in Cozumel tomorrow night. No ear issues allowed!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom