My Atomic subframe is here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:14:So what are you waiting for, jump into your wet suit and hit the pool,it's a great mask you'll love it, remember to clean it real good they have a tendancy to fog when new, but once you get it clean it's awesome, have fun!

I used an atomics frameless in my O/W pool class and i was miserable because it fogged every 10 seconds (well, the water was 90 degrees and the air in the pool room felt very humid).

i'm guessing i didn't prepare the mask well enough -- it was brand new. how many times do i have to scrub the darn thing with toothpaste? how do i know if i really did what i need to prepare it -- without getting back in the water? (i'd like to know in advance of my next class that it ain't gonna fog up again...)

:14:after you clean it real good, try baby shampoo instead of an anti fog, worked great on mine. I have seen alot of posts where the initial cleaning took a bit of time, mine I cleaned about six times and its been great ever since.

CONGRATS!!!!
Let me know what you think about the vision in it. I'm still tossing between a black shirt or clear in a low volume single lens mask. This will be new mask for me. I tried on the Atomic. Just a little too narrow for my face.

Did you try both sizes?

I bought mine (black with black skirt) right before I went to Cozumel. It fogged up really bad, I smashed my forehead into a stalagmite in a cenote. Ever hear someone scream obcenities underwater?
Anway against manufacturer's recomendations, I took some toothpaste to it and it worked great after that. It's a great mask, it really cuts out on all the light coming from the sides. I had my sister get one before her OW class.

I have a Subframe and love it. It's the only mask that ever gave me squeeze, mustache and all! :D

To initially clean it use soft scrub, or a similar product. You may need to clean it a couple of times. Once they brake-in there are no fogging issues, or at least I don't experience any.

They make two sizes. If one does not fit, than try a Cressi BigEye as they fit big faces! :11:

I do black on black! I find clear sides annoying in that you can kinda see through them, and in strong sunlight, you can get glare in from the sides.

Atomics are expensive, but if I lost mine tomorrow, I'd replace it in a day or less.

I for one however don't need photos! :rofl3::rofl3:

the atomic frameless comes in two sizes, the subframe only comes in one size (i called the manufacturer to check, and to make sure i get get prescription lenses in it). i'm wondering.........when you send it off to get the prescription lenses done.........will you still have the same issues with having to clean it a bunch of times to get it to stop fogging? i was thinking perhaps when they make the Rx lenses that it won't have the coating on there that causes the fogging. any experience with this?? also.......i was wondering whether to send it to Prescription Dive Masks or to use the people that ScubaToys send masks off to which is feather lens or something like that. i'm hesitant to drop about$200 additional dollars for the prescription lenses (i'm having a bifocal put in on one side). how to decide where to send it?

My favorite way to clean the lenses is to remove them from the mask so you can clean the entire surface of each lens.

There is an allen screw on the interior of the mask that holds down a metal bracket on the exterior of the mask. Remove that and carefully find the tabs that are holding the lens retainers; slide your finger nail around the nose section to release the tab on the retainer and then go to the eyebrow section to do the same thing. I believe there is another tab on the cheek section as well. That's as far as I was able to go without fear of breaking the retainer from the mask. I couldn't find any tabs or get the retainer to let go from the outer edges of the mask. There is enough clearance to pull the lenses out anyway, no reason to have to go any further. I would avoid using any tools other than finger nails to remove the retainers, they seem pretty delicate.

Observe where the letter "T" is painted on the lens (often on the inside; the lens is also grooved to fit in one direction) and then carefully remove the lens. Best if you handle the lens in some kind of protective cover like a foam lens pocket or wrapped in paper towels etc. while you're walking around with it but if you're careful enough not to drop it, then do what you like.

Use toothpaste enamel (not gel or anything else) and a large brush with soft/medium plastic bristles. Give the entire surface of the lens a good scrub for about a minute and rinse. Repeat if you like and then you can wait for the lens to dry or install them wet. Snap all the tabs back in place and replace the screw on the bracket (not too tight!) and you should be set.

You can then use your favorite anti-fog slime or spit in the mask and rinse before your dive and that should keep the mask from fogging.

I first used the subframe last month and it works great even for freediving. I like how the skirt doesn't require so much of your face to make a seal. Sometimes my hair gets in the way on my forehead with the previous mask I had (Seac Sub X-One). I'm glad I decided to get this mask when I did.

Atomic claims they use pure/clean/clear glass for this mask and while I had the lenses out of my mask, I noticed the edge of the lenses were white/clear rather than greenish like some of the other lenses I've dealt with.

The mask strap is not easy to remove and seems more difficult to try to replace. I would avoid trying to remove the strap unless you have a lot of time and patience on your hands to try to put it back in place.

Have fun.

Tao

The subframe is a beaut, love mine. :D

Anyone have one of the new ARC Lens-coated versions? Thoughts?

They cost about £100 (approx $200) over here, bit pricey though (the 'normal' subframe is about £70.)

I have a clear skirt I love it...the glass is so clear, amazing. Not a fan of the black skirt..looks super cool but it tunnels my vision too much. I like ambient lighting flooding in from the side of the mask. It's probably just me...but hey that's why they come in different types.
If you have not tried their (Atomic) fins, do so...Very comfortable.

I had three Atomic Subframes in the past year. I love the mask for the most part...great fit, good field of view. The problem I had with all three was that eventually...after 50 dives, or so on each mask...the silicone pulled away under the mask strap buckle creating a huge leak. I'm taling about a big leak here...big enough so water would actualy shoot into my eye from the holes at times. Atomic replaced every one of them for me, no questions asked, but in the end all of the great features were negated by that one flaw.

I'm curious, if there is an Atomic rep reading this thread, if and when they anticipate a fix. I know several divers who have experienced this issue. Love the mask...hate the leak issue.

Back
Top Bottom