My ankles kill me! Split fins the answer???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John, I also dive and bike. If I have been doing a lot more biking than diving (especially mtb'ing) I find that my feet/ankles can use some stretching out as it seems to tighten everything up in that area. I can usually feel the tightness when I point my foot fully, letting me know it needs some stretching out. I now try to get in some stretching and yoga on a weekly basis to keep the problem away(and to keep this old bod flexible). Don't know if this is kinda the same thing you are experiencing or not. It has never caused me pain, just some tightness. You might also want to look in to your bike setup, make sure everything is lining up properly. An alignment problem on your bike could be causing stressed to your ankles that only show up (or show up most) when you are diving. Hope you figure it out.

And it looks like you've already got the message to lay off that poaching. So happy diving to you.:wink:
Matt

FSU John:
I appreciate the advice, I really do. So I guess I am the only one who has publically admitted to not being the best diver in the world as you all make yourselves out to be...I dont believe that taking TWO lobster for four days in Bimini hardly constitutes poaching.

I still don't think you "get it" judging from your recent posts. I'm sorry doesn't cut it for some. Jail time or a fine would be my prefered punishment. "I swear, I only killed him once," isn't a defense I would suggest to you in the future.

Your profile states that you have completed your AOW class. Please read your post below with your past training in mind and you will see why I'm still not sure you aren't a troll.

Good luck diving and for the record, I do hope you become a better diver because you put everyone at risk with your current diving style, including yourself. You broke almost every rule of diving in the post below. I counted 13 things wrong with that post and the scary thing is the poaching was the least of your troubles. We aren't only smacking you on the back of the head here because you were breaking the law, but also because you almost killed yourself. Get it?

This board is a wonderful tool that will help you as it has helped us all, so take your medicine like a big boy and don't kill yourself over some lobster. Scuba isn't a football game. If you lose, you don't get to play Miami or the Gators AGAIN next year!:wink:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=135326

Good lord scubadoobah, are you TRYING to scare off the man? He hasn't even been on the boards for 24 hours, and all he wants is some help with his bloody fins.

Wait until he's been here for at least a week, and THEN start nitpicking his diving, calling him a troll, and using the "almost killed yourself" lines. If you jump the gun on this, it makes the misery inflicted less sweet! You haven't been attending our regular hostile greeter meetings, have you? :flame:

I really don't get any satisfaction from this guy's misery. The exact opposite actually. My apoplogies if I seem to be abusing this guy. It's not what I am out to do. Part of the problem is that two threads have run together, mostly my fault I will admit.

Nonetheless, read what the guy wrote in the other thread I linked to carefully and you may agree that I'm simply trying to save this guys life with a dose of reality. Poaching, beer, bounce diving, broken gear, too much weight, inflated confidence, the list goes on and all in ONE dive. I am hardly nitpicking at his diving.

That said, I will back off now and won't return until I have properly greeted 10 new board members in a positive manner.:wink:

scubadobadoo:
That said, I will back off now and won't return until I have properly greeted 10 new board members in a positive manner.:wink:

Yeah! Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Keep the fresh meat coming!

FSU John:
I am considering Scubapro Twin Jet Split Fins, but preferably(b/c of lower price) Scubapro Twin Speed Split Fins. Are Twin Jet that much better???
I have the Twin Speeds and have used the Twin Jets. The Twin Speeds are far supperior to the Twin Jets in my oppinion.

They are stiffer and give better control, also are a larger fin.

i have the twin speed's and they are definitely stiff. they probably would not help your ankle situation very much, but they do have a very stable footpad so you can use your whole foot to give you good leverage. i do love the twin speeds, though, getting back on topic, i guess.

FSU John said:
I am a 21 year old guy, seriously into bicycling

Does anyone recommend graphite, over yellow, or black Twin Jet?
Or Cobalt over Titanium Twin Speed?

I'm a cyclist, averaging 3000 miles a year with all my training rides and ride events combined. Cycling has had only positive effects on my diving, giving me a nice, low SAC rate on most dives. I never ride and dive on the same day.

I've had a pair of Scubapro Twin Jets for a few years now, the yellow ones, and love them. Honestly, I chose them only for their brightness at first (local Puget Sound diving is often low-vis) but came to love them for performance. I forget I even have them on, and have never had any propulsion woes, even in strong current.

That is, until I put on a drysuit. With my new shell drysuit, I'm noticing the drag. It's probably a combination of the suit and the additional 10 lbs. of weight I now require, but it's still a drag. I'm thinking about moving to a stiffer fin for a little more boost.

Still, if most of your diving is in warm water, where you'll be streamlined in a slick wetsuit, you'll be happy with the yellow twin jets. And your buddy will be able to spot you for miles.

By the way, check out this ride... I rode it in 2005, and I'm lining up a group to tackle it again in 2007. http://www.redmondcyclingclub.org/RAMROD/

Safe diving and cycling to you,

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom