My ankles kill me! Split fins the answer???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you do decide to go with splits, I'd go with one of the less stiff ones like Apollo Bio Fins. Stiff split fins (like Twin Jets) don't make sense anyway. The whole benefit of splits is that kicking feels effortless and the blades bend to propel you. Stiff splits seem like less efficient blades to me...it's a blade with a slice in it...you only get the unique propulsion of splits if they are floppy. Plus, the less stiff ones might actually have some benefits for your ankles. Apollo Bios are the best fins out there IMO.

Well I appreciate all of your insight. Although I dont believe that taking TWO lobster for four days in Bimini hardly constitutes poaching. I am going to head to the scuba store later today to see if they can cut me a deal with trying out the fins to see if I like them. Thanks for all the replies! This scubaboard is great, although I was up till 4:30 reading tons of stories and such from you guys:)

#1. Taking ANY game out of season or outside the limits of the Law is Poaching!

#2. If you were Serious about your other hobby (Cycling), you would know that pedaling does not just involve pushing down on the pedals. You apply pressure around the full cycle of the crank. UP, Down and over the top. That is why Serious Cyclists use Clips or Cleats. " So your answer is NO...The cycling has nothing to do with your ankle pain."

FSU John:
Although I dont believe that taking TWO lobster for four days in Bimini hardly constitutes poaching.
No? How many illegal lobsters do you think you have to catch to qualify as a poacher? I always understood it to be ONE.

That said, Mares fins have great thrust, but tend to be on the stiff side. Splits are probably worth trying.

Okay Okay I Was Wrong, It Was My First Time In The Bahamas, Give Me A Break!

FSU John:
Okay Okay I Was Wrong, It Was My First Time In The Bahamas, Give Me A Break!

Capitalizing Every Word In Your Sentence Does Not In Fact Earn You A Break! Understanding why people are giving you a hard tiime about it will. Note that in spite of the fact they didn't approve of your poaching most were still giving you advice.

I appreciate the advice, I really do. So I guess I am the only one who has publically admitted to not being the best diver in the world as you all make yourselves out to be...

FSU John:
I guess I am the only one who has publically admitted to not being the best diver in the world as you all make yourselves out to be...
Don't take it that way... we're all trying to become better divers. Part of that though is respecting the marine environment and local laws. Hunting protected species is bad for the regions we visit, and bad for the reputation of divers in general.

Here in the Northeast, those of us who dive for lobsters legally often have unpleasant run-ins with fishermen who assume all divers are out to steal their catch. We're trying to change those attitudes, but they get those ideas precisely because there are plenty of poachers out there. It's not much different in many other parts of the world, and I for one prefer not to have locals biased against me when I travel. In the future, please try to be part of the solution, rather than part of the problem.

Very well said Matt. Your ability to stay rational and explain yourself is much more effective than putting me down and telling me I should be in pain or pick another hobby. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom