My ankles kill me! Split fins the answer???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FSU John

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All! This is my first post, so I will try to make it short and sweet.

I am a AOWD and dive <hopefully>:D at least a dozen times a year. I am a 21 year old guy, seriously into bicycling and have pretty strong legs. I am 5'10'' 160lbs. Every time I dive, the down stroke of my scissor kick (where the force of the water points your foot fully extended) REALLY HURTS! I have some basic Mares fins, hand me downs from an uncle.

I don’t know if I have weak ankles, or what.... Do you think it is bicycling, where 95% of the time I am pushing ONE way and diving pulls my feet both ways???

I am considering Scubapro Twin Jet Split Fins, but preferably(b/c of lower price) Scubapro Twin Speed Split Fins. Are Twin Jet that much better???

Does anyone recommend graphite, over yellow, or black Twin Jet?
Or Cobalt over Titanium Twin Speed?

This is a big investment for a college guy who just likes to get in the water, and these will definitely be on my feet for the next 10 years. All your replies will be a great help! Thanks!

FSU John:
I don&#8217;t know if I have weak ankles, or what.... Do you think it is bicycling, where 95% of the time I am pushing ONE way and diving pulls my feet both ways???

I would guess this is a part of it. Although I have never heard of ankle-related issues with fins before. Usually it's calf cramping, or foot pain from poorly-fitted fins. Maybe you have weird Achilles' tendons or something. Or it might be your finning technique. I can sort of see how finning very quickly for prolonged periods might wear out your ankles. Most people cramp up well before that would kick in, however.

Split fins tend to reduce calf cramping for many people, though. That's fairly well established in the scuba and skindiving community.

That said, plenty of non-splits are great too.

There's a huge thread on the boards about splits vs non-splits. I, personally, dive with splits and so does all of my family. I hear ya about being a college student...I have said it a lot today....BROKE! Good luck with that. GO NOLES! (My sis goes there...I personally cry WAR EAGLE and bleed orange and blue...)

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=133320&highlight=split+fins

Well technique wise, with the fins I have now,<if that is a good excuse> I am not a good frog kicker. I usually have a plan when diving, whether it be for lobster, head north along the reef or whatever. SO when I get in the water I go! And for whatever reason the down kick really strains the ligaments and tendons at the top of my foot and ankle. I do fin stretches, pretty much to increase my ankle flexibility while in the water.

Hmmm... you might be a good candiate for a floppier fin. Less strain than with a stiff fin. Downside is that you won't get as much force per kick.

I think I would try and find a pair of Split fins on Ebay...........I had to replace an Atomic fin a while back and was able to find a pair for considerably less than the new cost and they were in great shape. The splits require a bit of a different kick.......smaller, quicker kicks but don't strain the calves and ankles as much as a more traditional fin. With practice, you will love them.

While the gang here has, as usual, given some thoughtful and very good answers, the reality is that nobody can answer the question but you. You will simply have to try some split fins out and see if they help the issue. Rent or try before you buy is always my personal motto, if possible.

For the record, I started diving with quatros and jets and then switched to black twin jets (black=stiffer than the colored versions) for a year and didn't like them at all so I got rid of them and went back to my quatros and jets. This of course was MY personal choice and I don't regret it.

Go Noles! Class of 96!! OOOHHOOOHHOOHOOHHOOOHH...

Altough some consider them heretical, you might try and borrow a pair of Force Fins. The kicking style used with them is more of a bicycling motion with the knees bent, rather than the straight leg kick used by other fins. I love mine and have never had problems with ankle pain or cramps.

Back
Top Bottom