My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You’re in a thin wetsuit. Try doing the the same in a drysuit and thermals. That’s a big difference.
Have you tried it with a flooded suit yet? Or cramp, or something properly nasty?

It would save on staff costs too. I guess there is a bigger minimum crew requirement in case a body or injured person needs to be recovered.

I think I noticed a Canadian boat with a lift.

yes there is one in tobermory ........its great to have it but ive being diving in a dry suit taking off fins for over 35 years so now a lift is just a treat

I can say that if you have such shoulder mobility, the Xdeep will be very hard to reach the central dump on your butt, especially with glove rings on! I couldn’t reach mine.
Common for some. A good mod is to run the pull dump up to the shoulder.

Well, heard back from the local boat. The key words here are "minimal help" for crew safety reasons. SM divers have to hand their tanks up on the ladder, getting them up to a decent height for crew to grab. Clipping off SM tanks on a line for crew to pull up is not allowed (crew safety reasons). If a diver wants to clip bottles off on a line, the diver has to pull them up themselves. Crew won't do it. In fact, I'm told all divers have to go up the ladder with their tanks or hand them up.

Well, heard back from the local boat. The key words here are "minimal help" for crew safety reasons. SM divers have to hand their tanks up on the ladder, getting them up to a decent height for crew to grab. Clipping off SM tanks on a line for crew to pull up is not allowed (crew safety reasons). If a diver wants to clip bottles off on a line, the diver has to pull them up themselves. Crew won't do it. In fact, I'm told all divers have to go up the ladder with their tanks or hand them up.
If you’re going to clip off to that line, aluminum cylinders will save you from dropping them into the abyss when they’re empty and thus float.

Their boat their rules even though the rules suck. You're really in a quandry because of the limited boats on the Great Lakes and that doubly sucks.

Make yourself a line to clip your tanks off to, make the line thick enough that it's easy for you to hold onto. Make the clip off points far enough apart that only one tank is in the air at a time. With steel tanks, you always want them clipped to something because you will drop one at some point - unclip the top, clip it to a line then unclip the bottom. Clip off one back gas tank and one deco tank, climb the ladder with just one back gas tank. Stick it in their face and smile while you're doing it.

Handing tanks up a ladder is dangerous, they drop the tank and it falls back on you. You can go on and on about the problems they are creating but it comes down to their boat, their rules.....

That's really a ******** boat to dive from period but I know you have limited options and with that being what you want to do, figure a way to do it is all.

Scuba diving is supposed to be fun - I'd have to imagine that most instructors do this for the joy of teaching, seeing the huge smile on someones face after a dive - that's why I do it. It seems that some boat owners don't fall into that joyous catagory, their loss..

Their boat their rules even though the rules suck. You're really in a quandry because of the limited boats on the Great Lakes and that doubly sucks.

Make yourself a line to clip your tanks off to, make the line thick enough that it's easy for you to hold onto. Make the clip off points far enough apart that only one tank is in the air at a time. With steel tanks, you always want them clipped to something because you will drop one at some point - unclip the top, clip it to a line then unclip the bottom. Clip off one back gas tank and one deco tank, climb the ladder with just one back gas tank. Stick it in their face and smile while you're doing it.

Handing tanks up a ladder is dangerous, they drop the tank and it falls back on you. You can go on and on about the problems they are creating but it comes down to their boat, their rules.....

That's really a ******** boat to dive from period but I know you have limited options and with that being what you want to do, figure a way to do it is all.

Scuba diving is supposed to be fun - I'd have to imagine that most instructors do this for the joy of teaching, seeing the huge smile on someones face after a dive - that's why I do it. It seems that some boat owners don't fall into that joyous catagory, their loss..

Well, I have several options. I have several tech trained friends who have said they are willing to help, whether I dive doubles or SM. I could only tech dive off boats that are willing to help more. I’m told they DO exist by other Great Lakes tech SM friends. I have no direct experience of such myself. Or I don’t get tech trained.

If I clipped off ANY tanks on the local boat, either me or a buddy would have to pull them up. No way around it. Doesn’t matter if they’re deco tanks or back (side!) gas.

Those are my options. The last one (not getting tech cert) is not really an option, but I just included it as I tend to be practical.

For me - I think it's harder walking on land with two sidemount tanks verses a set of doubles, it's the way the weight is carried I guess.

Just make your own clip off line, have the crew tie it off and hang it over the side of the boat, use like 5/8 or 1/2" line and attach clips to that line.. All our ladders are fin off and have hand rails - there isn't enough room between the handrails to come up with tanks on.

It's a pretty easy boat to dive from, all things considered. The other alternative would be to find a better strengthening regimen and ensure she can work towards walking up the ladder by yourself. Fully kitted I imagine moving from a single to double HP80s addeds ~35lb of net weight.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom