My 99th and 100th dives, Pt. Lobos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And you won't make fun of my trim/buoyoancy? I make a horrible model, trying to stay still for Doc to take what I thought were pictures but then after, realizing it could be video.

Make fun of you? I'm totaly impressed you braved the boat ramp & those conditions!
With all that swell chaos I think Doc was the only one holding good trim!

I was struggling in the swell with my new HP100 doubles, you were flying around in your pink cape & he was just hovering there watching the scene, like a levitating Buddha, smiling and totally relaxed.

That guy is absolutely amazing underwater :)!

Aww Kathy, I felt totally safe with you and Doc. I'm surprised you braved the low tide ramp in doubles! We had good help though, divers sure are a nice bunch of people.
Doc did look good, didn't he? It was an honor to dive with you both!
XOXO

Aww Kathy, I felt totally safe with you and Doc. I'm surprised you braved the low tide ramp in doubles! We had good help though, divers sure are a nice bunch of people. Doc did look good, didn't he? It was an honor to dive with you both! XOXO

Awee you are sweet! Yeah Doc did look great - I can only dream of being that solid underwater someday!

I'm working on it :D!

Congrats on the 100th dive.

Allow me to make a constructive comment: if you are running out of air in an hour at 60 feet, that tells me you are overweighted. I do realize that the cold water does add to exertion, increasing air usage. However, overweighting really does increase your gas usage and you can make a big difference in your air consumption by correcting your weighting. Being overweighted, you are adding and dumping air from your BC, rather than once or twice, and also overcompensating in your breathing having to rise and fall to compensate. On a recent warm water trip (gasp), I used the same weight as in the past, but I was still sinking when I should be neutral. With 500 psi in the tank and deflated BC, I held a normal breath at the surface and floated almost at eye level, but ever so slightly lower. I took a whole kilo off (2.2 lbs!), dropping to 4 kilos total, and as soon as I hit the water on the next dive I could tell I was perfect. After that I could hover motionless. I touched my BC twice on the dives: add a quick shot of air at depth at the beginning, dump all that air at about 2000 lbs after the tank became slightly more buoyant. I mention the actual weight numbers to show that a big weight difference made a small difference in my float at surface test but a huge difference in how netutral I was.

Here's how to tell, besides the float at eye level test: if you have to move at all, at all, to keep yourself from sinking, you're overweighted. Schedule a dive to just work on your weighting. You have to have a place not affected by surge because it would be hard to distinguish. Maybe even a boat dive. The weighting will always be the same if you dive in this area. From then on, you're good and your air consumption won't be affected by that. You can breathe normally and not have to do all this rise and fall stuff. Next is work on what I call "sleep breathing"... :)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom