my 5 year old daughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a child diving in a pool is still risky. was a death in a pool not too far from me where a student held his breath as he surfaced in a pool. that apparently can happen even in shallow pool water depths.

risky?? maybe. but very minimal. I know of people who have drowned in bathtubs, so I suppose that is risky too. Quantify the risk, now that's the trick.

Cajuncru Diver:
Right Walter, but there is the issue of common sense parenting. I equate looking into sucba diving for a five year old child the same as a parent seeking a driving licence for their 9 year old to put them in the family Corvette on I-95.....it is just a no-no!

Of course there is a common sense issue, but not necessarily in this case. Most of us are very familiar with driving and would be very likely to see a problem with letting a child drive. OTOH, many folks here are novices themselves at diving. They are not aware of the issues involved with children diving. I think it shows common sense to actually ask about the possibilities/problems instead of strapping on a tank and taking her diving. The fact that many agencies will certify children at age 10 encourages folks to believe there is no problem with babies on SCUBA. Most people actually believe all agencies have safety as their number one concern and that they are really authorities on diving. These "authorities" are encouraging folks to certify their children at an age that is simply way to young to be safe.

underwasser bolt:
risky?? maybe. but very minimal.

My opinion is vastly different. I believe it to be insanely dangerous. You are counting on always being lucky. I pray you are for your daughter's sake.

My opinion is vastly different. I believe it to be insanely dangerous. You are counting on always being lucky. I pray you are for your daughter's sake.

Luck and hope are not a strategy or a plan. If you think having an 8 year old breathing off a regulator in a swimming pool is insanely dangerous, our definitions of dangerous are vastly different to be sure. insanely dangerous is having 16 year old kids driving. I have pulled for more kids out of crashed cars than I have kids out of swimming pools. My point is risk is relative, and I think having a supervised 8 year old breathing from a regulator in 7 ft of water with NO weights attached is relatively safe.

My two oldest daughters were both certified when they were 12 and 10 (they are now 14 and 12)
I started them out from birth in a pool and they were swimming at age 4 to 5.
After they could swim I started them on a snorkel and mask in the shallow end then to the deep end diving down and swimming to the shallow. By age 6 let them start breathing on my octo while swimming them around under my arm. Around age 8 started letting them wear the gear themselves and use it in the shallow end, all the time I am instilling the importance of safety, and i am always right beside them at all times, by age 9 they both could set all the gear up and do a safety check, do all basic underwater skills and even clear their mask. At age 9 I also took them through the open water diving book and taught them how to do dive tables.
So by age 10 (with my oldest being 12) they both went through OW class with no problems and were both top of their class in dive skills and scored a 98 and a 96 on the final exam.
All that being said I spend as much time with my kids as I possibly can I love being with them, and believe that if your kids are interested in something like diving at an early age then a parent must spend an enormous amount of time with them.
At 14 and 12 I do not allow them to go out on a boat dive into the open ocean, They dive a quarry that is 25' max depth (perfect for them to train in and get experience) and when we go to the beach we will dive the jetties. they both have about 50 dives in the quarry and 10 or so on the jetties.
On a final note I did not push or even suggest them getting into diving they both decided on their on at a young age.
And i also have two more daughters ages 4 and 2 who are already showing interest also.

The more comfortable your daughter is in the water before she starts diving, the better. Nothing can replace time in the water. Swim lessons are a great way to start. Consider introducing her to a mask, fin, and snorkle. If that goes well, you might also consider SASY - Supplied Air Snorkling for Youth. SASY allows children the opportunity to get comfortable with breathing from a regulator while remaining on the surface.

Please visit my ad at: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...air-snorkeling-youth-sasy.html?highlight=sasy

I just don't think that very young children will have an adequate understanding of things like decompression, oxygen toxicity, buoyancy, etc... needed to be safe, not to mention the presence of mind to stay cool under pressure and not rocket to the surface or make another bad decision when they are alarmed or in trouble.

I take my 7 year old daughter out snorkeling and she has been doing it since around the time of her sixth birthday, but I don't expect her to be ready for scuba for at least a few more years.

I just don't think that very young children will have an adequate understanding of things like decompression, oxygen toxicity, buoyancy, etc... needed to be safe...

This would disqualify most certified adult divers...

:eyebrow:

Very uncalled for!
Ignore people like him!

But yeah she's only 5! What the others said, teach her to swim, the more comfortable the better!
Hopefully in about 10 years she'll be scuba diving like the rest of us :):)

Good luck x

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom