my 5 year old daughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Either you jest, or you are a candidate for a vist from your local Child Protection Service!

Getting her started on the PATH to scuba is a lot different than chucking her into the water with a tank and a prayer. If his daughter is anything like my kids she sees what Daddy is doing and can't wait to join him.

To the OP, if you aren't doing it already put her into swim lessons. This will help her get used to moving in the water, and it can be a lot of fun. Then, after she is a competent swimmer, introduce her to snorkeling and later down the road you can see if she likes free diving. Throughout the process I would recommend taking her to the nearest aquarium as often as you can and reading books on the underwater world with her on a regular basis (and other subjects as well; you can never read too much with your children!). The key here is that whatever you do to ease her into it do it together. You'll give her a solid foundation for when she is old enough to begin diving, and the bonding time is priceless!

Jason

Group,
I agree with risk and the unknowns with high pressure gas on young bodies, but some kids are just way more comfortable in the water than others. My entire family has been growing up swimming and both kids were swimming by themselves by 3. The oldest (5) is comfortable grabbing rings off the bottom in a 10ft pool and very relaxed underwater. I wouldn't take her to a beach and dive, but in a very controlled situation, I'm comfortable working on skills with her. See the attached picture. She is comfortable without a mask and actually does not like using a mask as she feels the drag when she swims. She has a XS transpac and a LP14 tank which is just her size

That being said, I would worry about uncontrolled ascents, so I am always only an arm length away.

Safe Diving

Attachments

• MakennaDiving.jpg
    MakennaDiving.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 32
Why do so many people here assume first off that the child does not know how to swim?

I have seen 5yr olds in the pool swimming.. I know our kids started way before that.. Keep in mind my wife was a lifeguard all through high school and college as well as a scuba diver. Being "water people" we naturally have exposed our kids to water of all types from a very young age. Our kids are the types that you have to drag out of the water cause they cant get enough of it.. which is exactly what one would expect when you are very comfortable in your element..

Our kids are now 10,12 and 16yrs old. All are certified. All have been diving in one way or another before certifications.

As for the car driving references... My 16yr old takes my 320rwhp z28 on racetracks on the weekends. My younger ones are soon to start Karting..

To the OP:

I have a five-year-old daughter that wants to go diving with me. (And I with her.)

At this point, the most important thing to have her do is learn to swim. Although the majority of divers would, quite frankly, fail the swim test*, it's important that she's capable of treading water and swimming laps. She'll have to be able to handle water in her nose, getting splashed on her face, and just generally be exceedingly comfortable in the water.

As for how old she should be, that's really up to you. The nitrogen absorption tables are based off statistical analysis of healthy young men in excellent physical condition. As you move away from that, you get into unknown territory. That's why they say "don't dive pregnant" -- DAN hasn't got a clue of what would happen. So what would happen to pre-pubescent people? Nobody has a clue.

Be conservative with your approach to diving with your daughter. Be patient and wait until her body has developed enough so that she's at least approaching the table / computer outlier cases.

*No, I don't mean YOU, reader. You're a great swimmer.

Why do so many people here assume first off that the child does not know how to swim?

I have seen 5yr olds in the pool swimming.. I know our kids started way before that.. Keep in mind my wife was a lifeguard all through high school and college as well as a scuba diver. Being "water people" we naturally have exposed our kids to water of all types from a very young age. Our kids are the types that you have to drag out of the water cause they cant get enough of it.. which is exactly what one would expect when you are very comfortable in your element..

Our kids are now 10,12 and 16yrs old. All are certified. All have been diving in one way or another before certifications.

As for the car driving references... My 16yr old takes my 320rwhp z28 on racetracks on the weekends. My younger ones are soon to start Karting..

I don't think that anyone is assuming that she can't swim. What all of the swimming lesson posts have in common is that they are identifying a progression that can be followed by all parents who have children who are interested in scuba diving. As with any continuum it is not "start" here and "end" here; it is more like jump in where you fit in.

For the record I have two three year olds and a one year old and all of them are currently learning to swim.

Back
Top Bottom