my 5 year old daughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's nothing wrong with asking for information.

Right Walter, but there is the issue of common sense parenting. I equate looking into sucba diving for a five year old child the same as a parent seeking a driving licence for their 9 year old to put them in the family Corvette on I-95.....it is just a no-no!

Either you jest, or you are a candidate for a vist from your local Child Protection Service!
There is no need to be abrasive over a question or even a series of questions. What may be plain to you, may not be for another. Comments such as these serve no purpose other than to keep people ignorant of a wide range of subjects.

I just started diving last year and my 6 yo has decided it's the coolest thing in the world. He loves the water but until recently he would not put his face in it. So last week I get home from work and he's been at the pool all day and decided that if he was going to go diving with Dad he had to start swimming under water. In an hour he went from not sticking his head under water to swimming 20 - 30 feet on the bottom of the pool at a time.

Really stunk when I had to tell him it's at LEAST 4 year until he gets to dive. But I did tell him that I'll get him a snorkle and we can snorkle in the pool this year then when we go visit Nanna when she moves to Naples FL this winter we can go snorkling.

My 12 year old son is certified. My 9 year old daughter has used scuba equipment in our swimming pool and has for the last yea. She can set up the equipment and is comfortable breathing from a regulator in our pool. I see no harm in that. The equipment is a bit heavy for her, however. I am not sure she will be able to handle her own equipment even when she is 10 (2 months from now)

the equipment is also heavy for my son, and he is almost 13. BTW, the agency that certified my son does not use or teach NDL tables; strictly computer diving.

Regardless of how mature your 5 year old appears, there are too many risks to start her on diving. As Net Doc, says there are also to many unknowns regarding possible ill effects of depth on a child so young.

I suggest you start her on swimming and snorkeling. There's lots to keep her interested and when she's a little older she'll be ready for diving if SHE wants to. dF

My 12 year old son is certified. My 9 year old daughter has used scuba equipment in our swimming pool and has for the last yea. She can set up the equipment and is comfortable breathing from a regulator in our pool. I see no harm in that. The equipment is a bit heavy for her, however. I am not sure she will be able to handle her own equipment even when she is 10 (2 months from now)

a child diving in a pool is still risky. was a death in a pool not too far from me where a student held his breath as he surfaced in a pool. that apparently can happen even in shallow pool water depths.

5 or earlier is a good time for swimming lessions and snorkling. My daughter was swimming at 3 and very good in the water by 8. She was on the local swim team during grade school and high school. At 8 I would take her in shallow water (10') with mask and fins breathing from my octo and holding on to my harness and I holding on to her. At 13 she was diving shallow reefs (25'-30') with a 40 cuft single. She was certified at 16.
I think 8 to 10 is the earliest a child should be introduced to scuba in a limited controlled environment and even then they should be good swimmers and completely comfortable in the water

There is a SASSY unit that a 5yo could use in a pool under supervision. It is constructed so that they will stay on the surface but would be on a regulator

A suggested progression: Swim lessons. Get real comfortable in the water. Snorkeling and all the skills involved. Start with a floatation vest. Then graduate off of it. My 8 y/o struggles blast clearing a snorkel. SASY- Supplied air snorkeling. Gets the child accustomed to breathing off of a reg and monitoring air supply.

Best wishes to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom