MV Spree--DCS hit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the guys who was on that trip was talking about it last night at our club meeting but I didn't get any details.

Dee:
One of the guys who was on that trip was talking about it last night at our club meeting but I didn't get any details.

I was on the MV Fling at the same time. Monday afternoon - a diver was dropped off at an oil rig and picked up by the Coast Guard.

Later in the week - either Tuesday morning or Wednesday morning - Coast Guard made another trip out to pick up another diver - this time the helicopter and MV Spree matched speeds and diver was lifted up in a basket.

All the details I know.

Odd how they keep getting nailed with DCS hits. The dives aren't that aggressive - 75~85' - plus they have at least a 2 hour SI between dives. Basically the same dive profiles as the SeaSearcher II, except they have Nitrox on board.

I hope she recovers without any complications. It would be interesting to find out more about her dive profiles.

I'd look first at her ascent rates and safety stops. Whatever the cause, it's only supposition and serves no purpose.

I hope she recovers fully.

Texass:
Odd how they keep getting nailed with DCS hits.

??? This is the first set if hits in what two-three years. For the numbers they do and what they do, I wouldn't call that all that bad.

The dives aren't that aggressive - 75~85' - plus they have at least a 2 hour SI between dives.

If you are diving air, it is entirely possible to max out a computer on each dive.

It is also easy to get dehydrated on this trip if you don't follow instructions.

TwoBit

[<SNIP>
If you are diving air, it is entirely possible to max out a computer on each dive.

It is also easy to get dehydrated on this trip if you don't follow instructions.

TwoBit[/QUOTE]

That's what I keep hearing after all the people I have talked to about this. We had 12 people on the Spree about two weeks and all of them have said dehydration.

??? This is the first set if hits in what two-three years.

Has it been that long since we were out there together? I thought that was just last year.

Let me start out by saying I wish both victims a full recovery and many more years of diving.
I spoke with Gary, who was one of the trip leaders on that trip said that one of the victims had suffered a DCS hit in Cayman just six months ago. I would suspect that dehydration and fairly rapid ascent from the last 15 ft and their own bodytype made them get a undeserved hit. I have seen to many people out there after their saftey stop literally pop to the surface. Remember that last 15 feet is when the last big woosh of bubbles is going to happen. In addition I really hope and pray no one contacts a bottom feeding attorney. In this world of lawsuits of (no personal responsibility) it scares the hell out of me. When stuff like this happens.

Safe Diving to all
Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom