Must to dive Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

igi2003

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I plan to be in Florida (Miami area) next month.
Would like to have your recommendation for few dives (unfortunately it will be short visit).
I preffer to dive and photogaph "big animals" , preferable sharks.

What is the better place for me?

You'll see more sharks an hour or so north of Miami in Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach or Jupiter.

Cheers.

-J.-

johnny_bravo:
You'll see more sharks an hour or so north of Miami in Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach or Jupiter.

Cheers.

-J.-

What kind of sharks? If nurse sharks count my personal record in South FL is 14 sharks in 16 dives. Of course, 9 were nurse sharks and only 4 were grey reef sharks. This was in the Upper Keys / Key Largo area.

I have done a bit of diving in the Pompano / Fort Lauderdale area and have not been as lucky.

There is other big stuff to be photographed as well such as goliath grouper and spotted eagle rays. Good luck and have fun!

johnny_bravo:

Cheers.

-J.-
No doubt - WPB or Jupiter more consistant

If you can get away on a Friday, Jupiter Dive Center (www.jupiterdivecenter.com) has a 3 tank trip ($75 for 3 tanks;includes lunch) - you have to be NITROX certified; advanced, have a computer, etc - they only do the trip on Fridays (possibly Wednesday's some weeks now that I think about it, but call and check) and go to 2 sites that are known for sharks (Reef, nurse).

I don't find the Keys at all consistant for sharks - did Carrysfort (in N. Key Largo) last Saturday - saw a small reef shark (maybe 3') and a decent sized nurse, but its not consistant - you feel lucky to see them.

Thanks for your answers , guys!
I don't have any restrictions from the certification point of view (Instructor and Technical diver).
Could you , please , provide a little bit more recommendations for the dive center that will be my dive base for 1-2 months. I'm looking for good dive area and like-family feeling.
I'll busy in business interests and want to be ready for diving maximum as I can.

P.S. I assume that the dives are very expensive (from my point of view) are becuase all from the boat. Does Ft. lauterdale and/or Keys has a shore diving?

igi2003:
I don't have any restrictions from the certification point of view (Instructor and Technical diver).
Could you , please , provide a little bit more recommendations for the dive center that will be my dive base for 1-2 months. I'm looking for good dive area and like-family feeling.
I'll busy in business interests and want to be ready for diving maximum as I can.

P.S. I assume that the dives are very expensive (from my point of view) are becuase all from the boat. Does Ft. lauterdale and/or Keys has a shore diving?

I've lived here 3 yrs, and the word is usually no shore diving in the Keys, but I do it all the time around Hollywood. Hollywood Beach off Michigan Ave, Dania Beach either N or S of the pier, Pampano off Hybiscus are all easy shore dives with Pampano being the shortest swim...maybe 100 ft offshore.

Sharks in Florida are hit and miss. We do see them from time to time, but you can't count on it. You'll have better odds diving NC. If you want big fish, you'll see Jewfish on most dives in the Gulf (other side of the state from where you'll be).

igi2003:

In Jupiter the 2 tank trips cost $50 w/ your own tanks, more ($60 - 65?? - I always bring my own) if you have to rent them.

Keys tend to be a little more $$ per trip.

Some places offer a discount if you pre purchase a set of trips ( 5, 10, etc) and pay in advance which could be an option for you if you will be down for a while, as your post indicates. You may be able to get a discount as an Instructor; worth an ask.

Best think to do is call or e mail the shops/operators suggested - or do a google search - and see what can be arrainged.

(Others can disagree, but the best diving in South FL, IMO - especially in the Keys where the reefs are 5 - 6 miles offshore - is done by boat. Having the option of shore diving is great, but the options and sites are better offshore).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom