Must-have accessories for first boat dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Newb boat diver or newb in general? I wasn't a newb but the GoPro can be quite distracting. I once descended with my snorkel in my mouth for instance. Don't task overload.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I like to have a backup cheap wristwatch like the Ironman type just in case something goes haywire with the computer. Also, I always have my whistle with me on boat dives and as Hank said I believe...dry bag! I hate coming up from a dive to wet clothes. If they hang their lifejackets by a net from the ceiling thats where I usually stash my little clothes bag with keys in it. That way its off the floor and away from the water.

Bring a decent attention span and listen to the dive briefings.

Newb boat diver or newb in general? I wasn't a newb but the GoPro can be quite distracting. I once descended with my snorkel in my mouth for instance. Don't task overload.
Diving Newb. And, yes, I know the GoPro is lower priority than the safety gear. And for now, my main task underwater is working on diving skills, not photos. I stick the GoPro on my wrist and turn it on at the start of the dive. At this point I just deal with 40min of useless video after the dive to get a few good moments, rather than worry about pushing buttons underwater. On the wrist the camera faces forward when I'm calmly finning with arms crossed and perfect trim. Of course, since I'm a newb, I do end up with some crazy footage shot as I thrash my arms to and 'fro. Working on doing less of that :wink:

If you are old, ugly and over weight like me I find a real small speedo swimsuit is a real ice breaker on a boat. :)
I like a full body rash suit if not wearing a wet suit, also wear it between dives to hide from the sun, most boats have shades but you get a lot of sun off the water.
I like a small hand towel or bar towel to wipe my face after a dive.
A bottle of water in case the boat does not have water, maybe a candy bar.
A hat is nice too.
The stuff that I want to keep dry I put in a plastic bag.
Just go and have a good time, you will find what you will need and make your own list later.

Looks like we're heading to Key Largo in April. I've decided to hold off buying major equipment until I have some experience, but I figure there's some important stuff even a newb should have.

I currently have:
Mask
Fins
Snorkel
Dive Computer
GoPro + accessories - yeah, not exactly critical, but it's fun :wink:

What other "little stuff" makes sense to have?

Safety Sausage?
Whistle or noise maker?
knife?
other?
[is a compass included or at least available with most rentals?]

Thanks in advance!
-Don

so sounds link your renting major gear? They do not provide accessories cheep snorkel keeper is great octo holder or retainer in a pinch...

as far as the gopro goes I do not like the wrist mount I found it twisted and I was always out of frame. I like the BCD mount if your going to just let it run. It swivels so you can point forward and get buddy shots on ascend and descend then point up forward when horizontal. It is steady and easy to frame. Also if your going deeper than 20ft (I hope you are) you will need a red filter check out the FLIP3.1 Combo Package with SHALLOW, DIVE, and DEEP Underwater Color Correction Filters for GoPro Hero4, Hero3+ & Hero3

In Key Largo, yes. Not everywhere in the world, of course.

Virtually everywhere. I've never been to a place where that wasn't the case. Though I understand Australia and NZ are exceptions.

I like a small hand towel or bar towel to wipe my face after a dive.

"Always know where your towel is."

When you get up between the dives, the water can evaporate quite quickly from the suit, esp. if there's a bit of a breeze. That can cool you down pretty quick and have you shivering when you get back in the water. I usually peel the top off, dry off, and put on a dry tee if there's much sun and/or wind.

So dry t-shirt and a towel in a dry bad. (edit: a dry bag, damn lysdexic fnigers.)

Last edited:
"Always know where your towel is."

When you get up between the dives, the water can evaporate quite quickly from the suit, esp. if there's a bit of a breeze. That can cool you down pretty quick and have you shivering when you get back in the water. I usually peel the top off, dry off, and put on a dry tee if there's much sun and/or wind.

So dry t-shirt and a towel in a dry bad.

In the Keys the SI may be only a half hour. If the air is at all cool. I bring a long rain jacket. Just throw it on over the wetsuit. Evaporation stops. Suit goes back to providing insulation.

Heat retention is really important if you are thinking of 3-4 dives a day.

In the Keys the SI may be only a half hour. If the air is at all cool. I bring a long rain jacket.

I've gotten cold in 10 minutes in Curacao (80F sea/85F air), so YMMV as they say. A raincoat or swim parka would do the job, too, you're right, and the raincoat probably doesn't need a dry bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom