Must-have accessories for first boat dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the Keys the SI may be only a half hour. If the air is at all cool. I bring a long rain jacket. Just throw it on over the wetsuit. Evaporation stops. Suit goes back to providing insulation.

Heat retention is really important if you are thinking of 3-4 dives a day.

Steve, you are spot on with the rain coat. Up here in Panama City I used to always carry a dark green rain coat, even on sunny days. The captain would make fun of me for carrying a rain coat. Between dives I would put on the coat over the wetsuit, which perfectly cut the wind, stand out in the sun and be perfectly toasty. Meanwhile everyone else in hunkering down in the cabin trying to get warm outta the wind. Most couldn't understand my thinking, they thought I was nuts.

Definitely invest in your own safety gear: Safety sausage (SMB) the bigger the better with OPV, finger spool, whistle.
Here is a great package DRIS has for Netdoc's students:
NetDoc Safety Package - Dive Right in Scuba

And I agree with the collapsible mesh bag for your gear...lightweight, drains, drys quickly, stows easily, even smushes up to fit in your suitcase easily and makes it easy to tote stuff to and from the boat.
After a dozen or more bags over the years, I love my SplashBag (actually each is custom made in the Keys).
SplashBag - A Splash of Color for your dive gear.

I also recommend adding a clip or carabiner to the handle of that bag. Most of the Keys boats only have storage beneath the bench and under that bench many have scupper holes, some larger than others, where loose items go sliding out to sea. I have chased more than one bag or fin that slide through. So I recommend you clip or tie one bag handle to the other around some of the bench legs or other boat part if your boat has scupper holes...and keep all your stuff gathered up together and out of the way when not in use.

Just my 2psi

Plenty of great ideas for the safety items, and especially to avoid bringing your luggage on the boat.

If you are going to do both the morning and afternoon trips, you might want to pack a lunch. You may only have about an hour between trips, which is not a lot of time to drive off and grab something to eat. If you pack a lunch, it will give you time to just eat, hydrate, and relax before the next trip. Plus, the weather will be a lot warmer, and it is very easy to get dehydrated running around and being in a constant rush to catch a boat.

Enjoy KL, it is one of my favorite dive locations.

Mike

Safety gear like a SMB/safety sausage and whistle are very helpful if you need them. The only problem is getting into the habit of including them as part of your usual gear. But they don' take up any space.

I also carry a small signaling mirror in my pocket on all dives off a boat. Less than $10 at a camping or sporting goods store. Mine has a hole in the center to help sight the mirror. Visible up to 10 miles and requires no batteries. It won't last forever but at the price they are easily replaceable.

For on the boat I like to have a towel and change of clothes in a dry sack. Boats will usually have a dry area for these things but just in case. I also put my wallet and cell phone in a Pelikan hard case big enough for both items. Too many chances for the phone in particular to have something heavy causing damage and will keep them dry if they fall into the water.

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2015 at 07:16 PM ----------

Sometimes I will include a few beers or a 6 pack to share depending on how long the ride out and back takes. Most boats won't have beer to purchase but will be happy to put in the cooler or fridge.

A compact and powerful dive light that has an emergency strobe function might be a good idea.

680 Lumen Dive Light | MAKO Spearguns
M680DL-2.jpg

Also a high volume, inexpensive mesh bag that rolls up into a compact bundle for storage might be a good idea:

Ballistic Mesh Dive Bag | MAKO Spearguns

MMB-2.jpg

A water proof dry bag to store your wallet, clothes, towel and phone can also be very useful:

Waterproof Bag - Transparent | MAKO Spearguns

mwbt_exp.jpg

1ltr disposable bottle of fresh drinking water - many uses, mask/GoPro rinse, drink, pour into wetsuit to cool yourself if overheated.
Sunscreen
Hat
Sunglasses with case and safety cord - though maybe not you most expensive pair, boating can be very hard on specs..
DSMB & spool with double ender clip - Get someone to teach you how to use it, they can be dangerous if misused. - Never clip it off if you have deployed it and your are on a safety stop..
Whistle or BCD air horn
Minimal size soft or mesh bag to keep your stuff together and out of everyones way.

Also recommended - mark your personal gear with your initials or name - helps avoid mixups.

One of my instructors told me that most dive ops won't have 1 pound weights. They just have 2 pound and greater. So, I bought a couple of 1 lb'ers to take with me for tweaking my weighting to get it just right, if needed.

I always take some hard candies in a small dry box... Sharing them around the boat is a great way to make new friends on the boat, and they help to get the salty taste out of your mouth! They aren't exactly critical dive gear, but you never know if that other guy on the boat might own a beachfront home in Bonaire until you get friendly! :)

These are my favorites! :)

Attachments

• zwerthers_1.jpg
    zwerthers_1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 188
1ltr disposable bottle of fresh drinking water - many uses, mask/GoPro rinse, drink, pour into wetsuit to cool yourself if overheated.

You definitely want to take water, but respectfully, I suggest a refillable bottle. Plastic water bottles are the scourge of our planet, and largely unnecessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom