Must gear be purchased from the LDS you are getting Open Water certified at?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forgot to ask is your wife a small framed person, perhaps short or a 100 lbs or less? Is there any possibility she is to small for a regular small BC?

Even is so this requirement to buy form them is BS, just looking to get the full details here?

If it were me, I would contact the agency they teach under and report them for unethical practices. That would get their attention very quickly and very seriously. I would also find another, more ethical, dive shop for my classes. Here in AZ we were all required to buy mask, fins and snorkel, not necessarily from the shop where we trained. They did give a very nice discount and allowed us to try the gear and exchange it if it didn't work for us after the pool sessions. I've always said it takes more words to BS me than it does to tell me the truth and this seems a good example of that principle. Good luck.
RichH

Here is my experience with OW lessions. All gear including BC, tanks, computer, regs, wetsuit and hood were part of the price. The only gear required was mask, fins, gloves, and booties. If you had your own gear they were subjected to the approval of the instructor since some of the divers wanted to use snorkel masks. If you bought from the store as a student you were offered a discount. You were encouraged but not required to purchase gear through the store but they also had a price match for internet prices for any of the same brands carried in the store.

I did but several items from the store including a wetsuit, BC, mask, and fins. I also purchased a BC online for my daughter since the rental ones they had for her didn't fit perfectly. She is also very petite at 15 and even the XSM BC they had was still a little loose. I have signed her up for AOW classes and there is no question regarding the BC and they are going to train her even in gear that was not purchased through them. In fact the owners don't care and since they service the same brands in the store (just didn't carry that particular model) are more than happy to service the BC even though I didn't buy from them.

I did look at many other dive shops in town before picking the eventual LDS and instructor. Another store actually told me that even if I purchased elsewhere they would be more than happy to show me how to dive the gear I purchased. I would say that any LDS that tells you they can't give you lessons in gear that was purchased elsewhere is not telling the entire truth. It may be their shop policy but is not an insurance requirement. If a shop owner will bend the truth by telling you it is an insurance requirement imagine how they will treat you or what they will say to you if something goes wrong? How could you ever trust what they say to you after that?

Bunch of lying no good egg sucking dogs. The insurance thing is total crap. Tell them that you will not return the bc. That your wife likes it and it is what she will be using after the classes. If they don't like it demand a full refund. Also tell them you want her taught to RSTC standards and that she will be able to plan, conduct, and safely return from a dive without professional at the end of her OW dives. She will have all the knowledge and skills as well as be comfortable doing it or they will be reported to their certifying agency for insufficient training. Also tell them you will be her buddy for the checkout dives or they can give you your money back now. Most of all tell them you named them and described what they told you here on this site. Hell give em a link to this thread.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Seems to me that would just open the door to the shop failing her.

---------- Post added June 25th, 2013 at 03:03 PM ----------

If it were me, I would contact the agency they teach under and report them for unethical practices. That would get their attention very quickly and very seriously.
RichH

I suspect the agency would do nothing.

Seems to me that would just open the door to the shop failing her.

---------- Post added June 25th, 2013 at 03:03 PM ----------

I suspect the agency would do nothing.

They have already failed her in more ways than one.

I actually looked up the DS in question and they state that they provide all gear except mask, fins and snorkel for the class. And believe me that PADI will take your complaint seriously enough that you will, at the least, get a call from the shop asking what the issues were. I had a problem locally with very sub-par, read none, instruction on my wife's buoyancy class and had to write PADI. The LDS response was swift and very accommodating. Don't underestimate what the agencies will do with a complaint, they are very interested, and concerned, at least with their image.
RichH

I actually looked up the DS in question and they state that they provide all gear except mask, fins and snorkel for the class.

lol why didnt we think of that...

i'd say this is an open and shut case... they have to provide her with the equipment for the training.. if they dont want to use hers no probs, you shouldnt have to pay extra

I actually looked up the DS in question and they state that they provide all gear except mask, fins and snorkel for the class.

Which page is that on? I looked and don't see it. I do see "Sales~Services~Rentals~Dive Instruction" where Sales is first and Instruction is last.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom