Musing about trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tend to credit the superman position as shown in the OP as a "student driver" technique ... as this person gets more comfortable with managing their trim they'll relax and look more comfortable. Sure, there are people who always dive that way ... they're used to it. I don't credit the "it's more streamlined" as being a wholly valid reason for doing it. The diver who's really mastered their trim and buoyancy skills will look relaxed and will be able to manage whatever trim and buoyancy state is warranted for the circumstances without it looking "contrived".

Besides, sometimes there are more important places for your arms to be. This is particularly true for those who use a camera and/or scooter ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am just learning trim and haven't taken anything other than PADI courses (OW and AOW). In my AOW the instructor indulged my desire to work a lot on trim/buoyancy. One thing we talked about was how both constant moving and "flaring" (i.e. stretching out as much as possible like in the first picture or in a 4-pointed star shape like a sky diver) can both mask underlying issues with buoyancy control. I think I only stretch out that far now when I'm adjusting or slowing the affect of some adjustment.

I have tried a trilam DUI and two Whites drysuits (one of which I bought), and the instructor for my drysuit class advocated for a "15%" upward tilt to my overall shape. In all my one pool dive world of experience, that did seem to work well and my neck was much more comfortable than when I was trying to be perfectly flat.

Thanks for the thread, it's so useful for a newbie to read the varying thoughts of more experienced divers.

Also, frankly, nobody really looks all that cool in scuba gear, arms doing jazz hands or not.

GRLock_20140615_0070.jpgStew_3907.jpg

Forward, backward. If it affects your trim so much, you're doing something wrong :wink:

Last edited:
I am quite comfortable, thanks.:D

44 copy.jpg

It's quite recent for me so I still remember.

We were taught both positions. The "superman" first, as the movement and position can be a good way for a newbie diver to experiment with what works and how subtle shifts effect trim. But the goal was to become more relaxed and to cross the arms in front of the chest. I got to the point where I could do this, when I learned how to position my tank on my back (higher or lower) and how to arrange my weights optimally. I even started experimenting with tucking my thumbs into my pits, resting them on the BC arm holes, or hooking them through the weight belt, or waist belt of the BC, in effect having them sort of "bound" so I could totally relax them in an effort to use less air.

I am just learning trim and haven't taken anything other than PADI courses (OW and AOW). In my AOW the instructor indulged my desire to work a lot on trim/buoyancy. One thing we talked about was how both constant moving and "flaring" (i.e. stretching out as much as possible like in the first picture or in a 4-pointed star shape like a sky diver) can both mask underlying issues with buoyancy control. I think I only stretch out that far now when I'm adjusting or slowing the affect of some adjustment.

I have tried a trilam DUI and two Whites drysuits (one of which I bought), and the instructor for my drysuit class advocated for a "15%" upward tilt to my overall shape. In all my one pool dive world of experience, that did seem to work well and my neck was much more comfortable than when I was trying to be perfectly flat.

Thanks for the thread, it's so useful for a newbie to read the varying thoughts of more experienced divers.

Also, frankly, nobody really looks all that cool in scuba gear, arms doing jazz hands or not.

I've never taken any technical classes or had a class in buoyancy control or trim or anything like that... Mostly just the PADI courses 20 yrs ago (or more).

I too find myself very UNcomfortable in a horizontal position, because it puts excessive stress on my neck. Staying perfectly horizontal and kicking like some noisy amphibian might work well in a small silty cave, but in open water I am doing flutter kick. My body is tilted up a little so my neck is not cranked back to see what is in front of me. In my experience a slight upward bias is not a big problem.

Of course people would probably say my trim is bad, because if I stop swimming and relax, I will go vertical eventually.

I should find and post the pic of me, in the vertical position, fins toward the surface with the camera upside down (to me) getting a video of a particularly nice moray who was being uncooperative. I'm sure without the context there would be a few remarks about my bad trim :)

I should find and post the pic of me, in the vertical position, fins toward the surface with the camera upside down (to me) getting a video of a particularly nice moray who was being uncooperative. I'm sure without the context there would be a few remarks about my bad trim :)

I know people who I suspect would have been critical even knowing the context, arguing that you should have skipped the shot if you had to go out of trim to get it.

This is the best vanity thread ever.

Unless a diver is in a situation that requires getting from point A to point B in a hurry, or has to move against a current, I think the impact of 'drag' at the speed most divers move is grossly overestimated. A diver may do as well or better by tucking the elbows in at the sides and crossing the hands over the sternum, gathering in any danglies in the process. It might not look as cool though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom