Music trivia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sapphire once bubbled...

Nope, no swamp diving! Just shopping, eating, drinking, relaxing, museum, and baseball - a great long weekend!

I know when you FINALLY give in and tell us (because I for one give up) we will all be kicking ourselves. Maybe your new hints will help someone else, however...

My own reason for guessing JA (besides the female lead singer thing) was that my friend's mom used to be married to the drummer - I love to talk to her about her "rock band" days!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

sapphire

That got my attention! Which drummer???? Skip Spence was the original JA jammer but he left after "Takes Off". Spencer Dryden joined in '66. Joey Covington replaced Dryden in '70. When they renamed as Starship, Pete Barbata grabbed the sticks and then Aynsley Dunbar (formerly of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, the Mothers of Invention, and Journey) started beatin' the skins in '79. JA reformed in 1989 and with all the personnel changes, I lost track of drummers.... It's great to talk to friends who have ties to (and stories about) the industry. Way Cool!! :D

I will unveil the name of the lead singer later today so we can move on......

tankajava once bubbled...

??????

Panzer,

Was that a band or a song?

The band in question above was a popular act in the SF Bay Area and they performed this song at the Filmore West's final show. One of the members of the band Nazreth wrote the song........

is not the name of a song... I was referring to the band leader Count Basie....
His Mom called him Bill... (for some reason I keep reading that).....

New trivia
Now, can't you hear those hepcats call,
Yeah!
Come on, boys, let's have a ball!
The jim, jam, jump on the jumpin' jive
Makes you dig your jive on the mellow side,
Hep-hep!
Hep-hep!

Name the song and the artist...

Sorry panzer,

The lead singer is female and not called Bill (at least to her face :wink:).

WileEDiver pegged the group. The lead singer's name is Lydia Pense and the band still plays today in small venues. Lydia has been compared with Janis Joplin and recently with Susan Tedeschi. Albums from this SF group include Cold Blood, Sisyphus, First Taste of Sin, and Thriller (No relation to Michael Jackson's hit). Song was written by Dan McCafferty of Nazreth is called "You Got Me Hummin'". Well worth a listen along with a little touch of Tower of Power and early JA.

Good footwork WileE! Sorry I missed your response earlier....... How 'bout them Giants!!! You're next in the batter's box!

taj

How 'bout them Giants!!! You're next in the batter's box!

taj
taj-

:thumb:Speaking as a season ticketholder, you gotta love 'em (sorry, Sapph)!

Now batting:

I can't do the talk like they talk on the TV
And I can't do a love song like the way it's meant to be
I can't do everything but I'll do anything for you
I can't do anything except be in love you.

subdude once bubbled...
Dire Straits?
Yes, but need the name of the song, as well.

WileE,

Romeo and Juliet by Dire Starits from Making Movies or Alchemy.

BTW:I'm a local boy from Morgan Hill and the East Bay. Been a Giants fan all my life! Used to love to watch games at the Stick!!

Gotta give it to tankajava.

E.B. myself (Hayward). Pass thru Morgan Hill everytime I go to Monterey. Ever been to a place called the Morgan House (on E. Dunne, I think)? Don't know if it's still there, but friends of mine used to play in a band there (cocktail lounge stuff) back in the late 70s.

I also had some great memories of the 'Stick including the earthquake W.S. game, Brenley making 4 errors in one inning (at 3rd base) and then winning the game with 2 home runs including the game winning HR with a full count and 2 down in the bottom of the 9th, Mike Ivie pinch-hitting a grand salami, and of course Joe Morgan knocking off the Dodgers on the last day of the season one year and being made an honorary citizen of Atlanta for that feat! Come back out some time and let's go diving and then catch a game at the best ballpark in the Majors!

WileEDiver once bubbled...
Gotta give it to tankjava.

E.B. myself (Hayward). Pass thru Morgan Hill everytime I go to Monterey. Ever been to a place called the Morgan House (on E. Dunne, I think)? Don't know if it's still there, but friends of mine used to play in a band there (cocktail lounge stuff) back in the late 70s.

I also had some great memories of the 'Stick including the earthquake W.S. game, Brenley making 4 errors in one inning (at 3rd base) and then winning the game with 2 home runs including the game winning HR with a full count and 2 down in the bottom of the 9th, Mike Ivie pinch-hitting a grand salami, and of course Joe Morgan knocking off the Dodgers on the last day of the season one year and being made an honorary citizen of Atlanta for that feat! Come back out some time and let's go diving and then catch a game at the best ballpark in the Majors!

Most excellent, Dude!! I used to live on W. Dunne at the base of El Toro. Don't know if the "House" is still standing. Graduated from Bishop O'Dowd in East Oakland and remember competing against Hayward in Track and Cross Country. Recall many games at the Stick watching Mays, Cepeda, the Alou Bros, the Dominican Dandy, and Barry's dad. Bobby was such a part of the Giants for so long...it's hard to believe he's gone. Hope they win for him. Watched Bobby Bolin throw a 1-hitter while the Giants got 2-hit by Atlanta - luckily the second Giants hit was a liner by Bolin himself that cleared the left field fence. But I ramble. I'll fire off a private post later. Gotta hit the sack for the graveyard shift tonite.

I love good harmony in a pop group. Let's go to the '90s and grab a quick listen. Should be fairly easy on the ears and the memory.....

Can't this car go any faster
Faster, faster
Can't this car go cause I can still see where I am

taj

That got my attention! Which drummer???? Skip Spence was the original JA jammer but he left after "Takes Off". Spencer Dryden joined in '66. Joey Covington replaced Dryden in '70. When they renamed as Starship, Pete Barbata grabbed the sticks and then Aynsley Dunbar (formerly of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, the Mothers of Invention, and Journey) started beatin' the skins in '79. JA reformed in 1989 and with all the personnel changes, I lost track of drummers.... It's great to talk to friends who have ties to (and stories about) the industry. Way Cool!! :D

It has to be Skip Spence, because she was married to him BEFORE my friend was born, so if your dates are correct that is the only possible answer :) ! BTW my friend thinks you know WAY too much about Jefferson Airplane drummers, LOL!

sapphire

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom