Multiple divers from same boat to chamber today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I had to guess what happened my first guess would be a down current.
:bonk:​

Have you been in one? I have, took me and my 2 OW students to 279.99999999 feet (the computer stopped at 279). We weren't bent, narced, toxed, or any of those. But a person has to believe what they have to believe.
Where?! Couldn't swim out of it? I've only had one, not a bad one, easy to swim out of - but I'd left my pony on the boat because it was planned as a shallow reef second dive. Got pulled off the top. :eek:

OK, I just wasted thirty minutes of my limited time left, reading this pile..:turd: If there was a Bull$hit Chamber, I would need it.....:worried:
I just got BS bent.........
You knew better. No pity.

YES!! That is every dive boat in California!! You don't have anyone holding your hand EVER! Your buddy is your lifeline period, and I remember being shocked that in a cold, low vis environment with kelp forests and lots of other hazards that the 'norm' was 'you're on your own, don't get killed'. That's why many divers around here scoff at the 'resort scuba' crowd who are used to valet service and an in water baby sitter.
Boy, none of them told me anything - nothing, other than when to be back on the boat. The DMs never got in the water either.

Don, it took a long time for the truth to start leaking out, and all the while it was doing great damage to the livelihood of the dive ops and professionals on this island who were loosing business as a result of it. Keeping quiet and letting the rumour continue (to this day as this thread has evidenced) is not the same as being open about the bumbassery that caused that incident. Allowing people to believe a lie about you in that instance is no different that telling it yourself, in my opinion.
I know it was a dumb stunt all the way. One of the divers was never able to talk about it, one didn't have access to the net, and the movie guy was probably afraid to speak. He wasn't hurt, but I haven't seen anything from him since.

There's a Hooters in Coz now? Hmm, maybe I won't stay at an AI on my next trip...
One diver on one of my boats there invited me to go to some full service strip bar once. I have no idea if it was BS or not.

There's a Hooters in Coz now? Hmm, maybe I won't stay at an AI on my next trip...

Grupo Anderson owns both the Carlos & Charlie's and Senor Frog's chains as well as other iconic restaurants like the Shrimp Bucket in Mazatlan.

I did not know there was a Hooters there either! My non-diving, recently single, never been to Coz, thinks it's like Cancun during spring break no matter what I tell him nephew will enjoy that bit of news.

I'd be interested in having that next level conversation. :)

Consider that this is just Cozumel. There are many, many places where divers, new or not, are actually left to their own devices. Imagine that. My dives 9 and 10 were on Vancouver Island, and the instructions went something like this: Here is your rental gear. Here is a wheelbarrow. Put your gear in the wheelbarrow and take it to that boat. On the boat, set up your gear. Now the DM gives the briefing: Here's where we're anchoring. Go down the line, take a heading of 60 degrees, and once you get to the pinnacle at the wall, go down the wall. Be back in 45 minutes. I'll be here on the boat waiting for you.

That's not an uncommon scenario. It imagines that certified divers are actually qualified to take care of themselves.

And as to your number 2, phooey. Programs don't rush divers through training: INSTRUCTORS do. Bad instructors. The agency that I teach with offers "performance based training" - not time based. So if I certify someone who is unqualified, don't put the onus for that poorly trained diver on my agency: it's MY fault.

First, for the record, Karibelle and I are not engaging in gossip or speculation, we are engaged in an erudite deliberation on generalities as there seem to be little in the way of fact or gossip to speculate on. Hence we are filling pages while we wait. I don't think we said anything about the actual incident or even if it occurred. (if it did)

And don't say hydrate to Karibelle. Its a red word....

I would not be at all surprised to find that DMs out there aren't trained above OW. I wouldn't even be surprised if they weren't certified at all. It Mexico. So many things are more like guidelines than rules. And maybe I should have said 'avoiding blame' rather than liability. Liability seems to be less important if you haven't hit someone with a car.

As for other place, I get that. Hey, I am not saying that divers shouldn't be that skilled, you know that. I am also sure you would take reasonable measures on your dive trips, which sound fabulous by the way, and make sure your crew is up to snuff.

However, the model in Coz seems to find divers getting more care from the DM. Those rusty one day or new divers thrown in current seems to often need attention and a little work. So they shouldn't have to, but what can a DM do but try and square them away, right?

And on training, you don't think that training agencies, generally, have made it easier to get through generally? I mean I only took each of my classes once, so I don't have the first hand knowledge that was just my understanding. Of course, YOU, I am sure, still teach courses that are as robust as ever and turning out well prepared divers; I was speaking in generalities, not specifics. Maybe I got the wrong impression on the direction of training?

Oh, I am relishing the chance to go down the personal responsibility road with you! THAT could be fun. Even Socrates might say, "Guys, really, enough already....." :)

Now, since someone requested gossip, I *heard* a DM saw a nurse shark with a harpoon or spear or something it is head on Cedral the other day. Apparently he tried to remove it but the shark took off. Anyone hear about this one?

There's a Hooters in Coz now?

What he said
lol.gif

Oh well, at least now I have some place to go now that I found out Carlos and Charlies is closed.

El Hooteros in Cozumel, that's funny.

What he said
lol.gif

Oh well, at least now I have some place to go now that I found out Carlos and Charlies is closed.

El Hooteros in Cozumel, that's funny.

I have never been much for wings. I am more of a breast man, so I never really liked Hooters.

Is that an Oxymoron? (Am I?)

Have you been in one? I have, took me and my 2 OW students to 279.99999999 feet (the computer stopped at 279). We weren't bent, narced, toxed, or any of those. But a person has to believe what they have to believe.
Do you always take your OW students out where there are down currents and no hard bottom?

I guess I'll believe what I want to believe.

---------- Post added March 14th, 2014 at 08:24 AM ----------

One diver on one of my boats there invited me to go to some full service strip bar once. I have no idea if it was BS or not.
Of course there are full service strip bars on the island, it is Mexico after all. I'm just shocked at the proliferation of American chains.

Where?! Couldn't swim out of it? I've only had one, not a bad one, easy to swim out of - but I'd left my pony on the boat because it was planned as a shallow reef second dive. Got pulled off the top. :eek:

St. Lucia. I did swim out of it. That's why I'm here to tell the story.....

Do you always take your OW students out where there are down currents and no hard bottom?

I guess I'll believe what I want to believe.

I would expect you would. Actually, we were at safety stop. The students and I drifted out into deep water while I was winding up the reel. Next I knew, I was at a hundred feet looking down at the students. THAT'S how 3 divers get bent from one screwing up, I went and saved their young asses. We didn't get bent, but the girl ruptured an eardrum.

I would expect you would. Actually, we were at safety stop. The students and I drifted out into deep water while I was winding up the reel. Next I knew, I was at a hundred feet looking down at the students. THAT'S how 3 divers get bent from one screwing up, I went and saved their young asses. We didn't get bent, but the girl ruptured an eardrum.
Sounds like you lucked out. Well twice, first the bad luck, then the good. That situation could easily have turned deadly. An uncertified diver in a downcurrent and narced at 200'+ could easily panic and cause all sorts of havoc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom