Multiple divers from same boat to chamber today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens

Toadfish. Splendid is implied but not guaranteed.
Reaction score
I have heard rumors (and that's precisely what they are at this point) of multiple (3?) divers from the same unspecified boat who had to go for chamber rides earlier today.

Am I the only who's heard this?

EDIT: It's now a day later and the original sources don't seem to know anything more. I'm calling BS on the rumors.

Last edited:
Heard it as well but no details or conformation from anyone on the other Cozumel forums.

Last edited:
Yow, that's never a good thing, that probably won't look good for the dive operator or dive master

Apparently denizens of other Coz forums have pointed at The OP/DM and then later retracted or deleted their comments. The reason I don't know. Draw your own conclusions. Also, it would be interesting if there were any other unbent divers on the boat. And if so, how their profiles differed.

Last edited:
There were some posts made on Cozumel 4 U which were retracted. I believe the reason was because said posts were based on rumor, not fact. Regardless, if this topic is going to be of interest, I hope it follows a fact track and stays on point. Maybe it won't turn into a nasty debate... SS

Yow, that's never a good thing, that probably won't look good for the dive operator or dive master

What happened to personal responsibility? If a certified diver is not qualified to take care of themselves, they ought to be beating on their instructor's door, if anywhere.

What happened to personal responsibility? If a certified diver is not qualified to take care of themselves, they ought to be beating on their instructor's door, if anywhere.

I agree. I lay in bed and dream of a world with more personal responsibility. Either I am getting old and crotchety or it is going the other way.

Now in the real world, I would never suggest a diver go with an DM that isn't watching out for their divers in Coz, unless I knew they watched everything themselves. I have met divers on the boat that needed a keeper. And it isn't a small percentage is it? Divers that dive once a year or haven't been in the water in a couple years or just go out of OW and are still a little clueless.

So what is the answer:

1. don't take their money and let them dive;
2. Take only divers from some hypothetical program that isn't rushing divers through training;
3. Post a sign, your life is in your hands on this boat;
4. Make sure they are hydrated, just in case, :D or;
5. provide additional service beyond 'guiding' the tour.

Absent facts to the contrary, could not one wildly speculate that the profile was not a good one and they were following the DM guide?

Of course I agree with you philosophically. And you would probably not agree with me when I tried to apply the theory of personal responsibility further.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I dove a computer that was more conservative than what was built into the rental reg set I got from my op, and I took it upon myself to motion that I needed to go a bit more shallow when my NDLs get low. (Of course, I dove easy dives anyway, so it really wasn't an issue until the end of a week. I'm also aware a computer doesn't keep you from getting bent.) But a diver getting bent doesn't seem to have much to do with the op. I very much played follow the leader with my DM, as a newbie, but I also knew it was my responsibility not to do stupid things.

And without details, we don't know if they were following a DM, or if these were the kind of divers the DM has to go into a full out vertical dive to grab them since they went so deep without knowing what they were doing.

Now, a boat sinking, crap rental gear- that's on the op.

I do hope the divers are alright though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom