Multiple divers from same boat to chamber today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So should a dive op refuse service to a diver who is clearly not taking responsibility for themselves? For example, diving without a computer or diving without consulting tables?

Hang on a minute, you're all blaming the divers, unless you know something way more than I do. If I heard a rumor about 3 divers on the same boat needing a chamber, the last thing I'd suspect is go to deep and stay too long. The first think I'd suspect is bad gas, especially in Cozumel, like that's never happened. The second is come up too fast as a group, like, bringing another distressed diver to the surface. Anyone here know more to the story than has been put in this thread?

What happened to personal responsibility? If a certified diver is not qualified to take care of themselves, they ought to be beating on their instructor's door, if anywhere.

One diver the odds are it was something the diver did. Three divers, odds are its more than that, that's all, just reasonable deductive reasoning.

One diver the odds are it was something the diver did. Three divers, odds are its more than that, that's all, just reasonable deductive reasoning.

The very deep Scuba Mau cluster boo boo is at odds with that reasoning.

Hang on a minute, you're all blaming the divers, unless you know something way more than I do. If I heard a rumor about 3 divers on the same boat needing a chamber, the last thing I'd suspect is go to deep and stay too long. The first think I'd suspect is bad gas, especially in Cozumel, like that's never happened. The second is come up too fast as a group, like, bringing another distressed diver to the surface. Anyone here know more to the story than has been put in this thread?
I don't see why the entire group would have to risk DCS if the DM had to bring a distressed diver to the surface. The reason why some dive ops in Cozumel prefer to have the entire group surface together is for safety; obviously, making the entire group surface too fast is hardly safe. If that were the case, it still would be the divers' fault for surfacing too fast even if the DM told them to do so.

Bad gas, perhaps, but Meridiano now has CO detectors from what I understand and if they weren't working, it would likely be more than just three tanks affected. If it were CO poisoning, DD will have a field day.

True. Exceptions always exist. That is why I specifically chose the word 'probably' when I said:

Yow, that's never a good thing, that probably won't look good for the dive operator or dive master

When I had a rebreather diver have a heart attack on a dive, both of his buddies bent themselves bringing him back to the surface. The victim didn't make it. Both of the buddies did. The rest of the divers on the boat finished their dive in the allotted time.

This kinda needs to not become a habit, unless Cozumel decides to cater to that type of diver....

This kinda needs to not become a habit, unless Cozumel decides to cater to that type of diver....

The Scuba Mau incident involved the dive shop owner, a person reported to be a divemaster (possibly for that dive shop) and another person who reportedly was close to the dive shop owner. Plus the dive was incredibly stupid not only because of the depth involved but also because minimal gas was taken with them.

I agree with Mossman. I will not get bent by following a distressed diver/DM pair if the conditions do not warrant it. If at a Palancar site or similar, there are plenty of boats. Take care of the one/two people in need. Do not needlessly create new victims.

I agree with Mossman. I will not get bent by following a distressed diver/DM pair if the conditions do not warrant it. If at a Palancar site or similar, there are plenty of boats. Take care of the one/two people in need. Do not needlessly create new victims.
Even for the rescuer. DMs do not get tipped enough to risk their lives. The first law of rescue is to not become a victim yourself.

Back
Top Bottom