Multiple divers from same boat to chamber today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So should a dive op refuse service to a diver who is clearly not taking responsibility for themselves? For example, diving without a computer or diving without consulting tables?

I don't agree with your examples, but yes. Dive ops should refuse service to all kinds of people, in my opinion. And divers should refuse to bring their business to dive ops, for all kinds of reasons. Not really on topic for this thread, but you asked. :)

So should a dive op refuse service to a diver who is clearly not taking responsibility for themselves?
Yes. And I've seen people be told straight up that they wont be diving for the rest of the day and they will be denied further service from the dive op after they made a stupid ass decision on the first dive and then tried to teach the staff about how safe it was and how they had done it many times before..

So should a dive op refuse service to a diver who is clearly not taking responsibility for themselves? For example, diving without a computer or diving without consulting tables?

Off topic to a topic that we don't even know if it's really a topic or not yet...

Yes, from just being a good human being and yes from just protecting your businesses reputation in the market place.

I won't cite specific examples such as an obvious drunk getting on the boat, there is no need to do that, the criteria is simple from the stand point of a business you want to protect your reputation, protecting it from liability and protecting it from slander a business should always weigh the decision on when to refuse service to a customer. You'd also hope they would try to protect somebody from themselves too, just based on being a good human being. The topic always comes up how dive masters don't get paid enough or tipped enough to risk their lives, well I'm pretty sure most anyone in a position of low pay and high responsibility for people's care, for the most part is there for different reasons in the first place and the compensation probably isn't high on their list for why they would or wouldn't risk their life for someone else in trouble.

Dive ops should refuse service to all kinds of people, in my opinion.

Of course.

Now what percentage do? I mean really.

I think it is a little on topic. Esp since we are short on facts and just killing time jawing. Makes the topic broad. Someone else posted somewhere else, that a DM is a guide and that is it. It is a lovely expression of liability avoidance and probably should be said even if not truly practiced. Same as DM should expect certified divers to be competent, even if they got off a floating petri dish for their 10 dive ever after at a 2 year break. How many shops will say, no you can't dive with us until you demonstrate skills in the pool? Or conversely take them diving do nothing about the diver clearly endangering themselves?

Again it is matching real world to how it should be. Divers should be competent after OW and should be fresh on skills when they choose to go diving, but often they aren't. So you have to meet in the middle somewhere.

Again it is matching real world to how it should be. Divers should be competent after OW and should be fresh on skills when they choose to go diving, but often they aren't. So you have to meet in the middle somewhere.

Reality is that newly certified divers are newbies. How many here, if you know that a person is at the low experience level, pay periodic attention to that person during a dive?

Reality is that newly certified divers are newbies. How many here, if you know that a person is at the low experience level, pay periodic attention to that person during a dive?
I pay "periodic attention" to my buddy and any other person diving with me regardless of their experience level. I also plan my dives based on both mine and my buddies experience levels. You know, kinda like whats supposed to be done?

Right, Ron. I do as I suspect most do and my DM seriously does. Should she have to deal with that? Maybe not, but she does as I am sure most DM do. I am always amused and remember back to the days when she would raise her gauge point at it and then at me to make me tell her how much air I had left. How crazy is it that a certified diver might miss that tank going empty? And, left to their own devices, how many would be that surprised a newbie did it?

Even for the rescuer. DMs do not get tipped enough to risk their lives. The first law of rescue is to not become a victim yourself.

Bent is rarely a risk to life. Especially when the chamber is at most an hour away. Stupidity in choosing dive profiles is often a risk to life, but the line is fine between the two.

I have heard rumors (and that's precisely what they are at this point) of multiple (3?) divers from the same unspecified boat who had to go for chamber rides earlier today.

Am I the only who's heard this?
Did someone see an old post about Scuba Mau and not look at the dates? Seems to be a big coincidence that there are 3 divers bent again. This has happened before, people see an old post then ask questions as if it just happened and it goes viral all over again.

Of course.

Now what percentage do? I mean really.

I think it is a little on topic. Esp since we are short on facts and just killing time jawing. Makes the topic broad. Someone else posted somewhere else, that a DM is a guide and that is it. It is a lovely expression of liability avoidance and probably should be said even if not truly practiced. Same as DM should expect certified divers to be competent, even if they got off a floating petri dish for their 10 dive ever after at a 2 year break. How many shops will say, no you can't dive with us until you demonstrate skills in the pool? Or conversely take them diving do nothing about the diver clearly endangering themselves?

What percentage? Not nearly enough. Again, JMO.

You speak of liability avoidance. Interesting... would you be surprised if you discovered that some (many, maybe?) of the "divemasters" on this island are not credentialed? i.e. they truly are "dive guides" with no additional training beyond yours, perhaps, but we still call them "divemaster"? Ask around. Ask to see the DM card of your DM, and many won't have one, or have ever had one. That doesn't necessarily make them a bad guide, but we toss "divemaster" around like it means something, and I don't think it does in many cases.

As to how many shops require some demonstration of skills, I don't know. I can tell you that when I run a trip somewhere, I encourage my divers to get in the pool prior to reaching our destination, and upon arrival at that destination, I do my best to arrange a shore dive for everyone with an instructor prior to getting on the dive boat, to ensure their maximum level of comfort and safety. So it does happen. If we as a dive community demanded better service and were prepared to put in that little bit of extra effort ourselves, wouldn't the world be a brighter place? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom