Multi-word searches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sounds silly, but I'm unable to do multi-word searches. I've tried using the "+" and logical "AND" with equal success (as in none)

So what is the trick?

I've never really had 100% success with the Scubaboard search function, though perhaps I'm using it wrong.

I generally do a Google search of the keywords for the Scubaboard.com site. In other words, Google search this (without the quotes) - "site:scubaboard.com dive knife" - if you want to look for dive knife posts.

The trick is... use google. Put in site:scubaboard.com when you do.

The search feature from vBulletin is limited, and works off of our database. Special operators like + "" and... don't do anything for it.

Sorry.

Thanks. So search is officially 'lame'. Wonderful !

Thanks. So search is officially 'lame'. Wonderful !

Maybe… but the Google technique works so well, why fix it? There are enough software tools to master without introducing another one.

Also note that this technique is useful on any site, not just Scubaboard.

This is a great tip.

To set up a multi-keyword search option for Scubaboard.

1. Go to Google Custom Search
2. Start a New Search Engine, enter the site (scubaboard.com, or a sub-section of the site). Give it a name and Create.
3. To set it up for date sorting, select the search in the Edit function, select Search features/Advanced tab, Results Sorting = ON, and check sort by Date.
4. Go to Setup, Basic tab, Details, Public URL. Copy the URL and past to the browser address bar.
5. Bookmark or link the URL so you don't have to go looking for it on the Custom Search setup page every time.
6. When you do a search, you get Relevance sorting by default, but Date is an option (upper right side of results page).

It's 2014, probably 20+ years after the forum software was invented, and you can't search for joint occurrence of multiple keywords except via Google, and for date-sorting you have to use this clunky method. Yay.

I did this in Firefox, I assume it will proceed similarly in other browsers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom