Mr T's Wild Freedive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Higher ambient pressures create a higher affinity for oxygen, if you read my post you would see that.

So saying pressure doesn’t affect this process when free diving couldn’t be more incorrect

This is one reason you black out, because the affinity for 02 at depth is higher, and when you break 10 m on ascent there is a sudden drop in available oxygen to attach to the receptor

So like I said, if you let out a breath at depth and come up you have just increased your risk of passing out. This is not a worry on Scuba because you have a constant supply of gas.

This has been my point all along, that you cannot take a breath from a scuba diver and continue free diving, for multiple reasons.

You are either gonna take a breath and ascend, while exhaling, or you are going to keep taking breaths and you become a scuba diver.

STORKER ALREADY ANSWERED TO THIS WHILE I WAS WRITING :)
It's called being ninja'ed:)

Higher ambient pressures create a higher affinity for oxygen
I know Henry's law. Are you alluding to something else than that?

Your problem is, the effect of Henry's law is rather insignificant compared to the affinity of haemoglobin towards oxygen. So the effect of pressure isn't significant for O2 transfer from the lungs to the blood.

Higher ambient pressures create a higher affinity for oxygen, if you read my post you would see that.

So saying pressure doesn’t affect this process when free diving couldn’t be more incorrect

This is one reason you black out, because the affinity for 02 at depth is higher, and when you break 10 m on ascent there is a sudden drop in available oxygen to attach to the receptor

So like I said, if you let out a breath at depth and come up you have just increased your risk of passing out. This is not a worry on Scuba because you have a constant supply of gas.
I understand what you mean but it gets very confusing and brain hurting if not using the correct terms all the way. You really should use the partial pressure term to make the posts more understandable

I know Henry's law. Are you alluding to something else than that?

Your problem is, the effect of Henry's law is rather insignificant compared to the affinity of haemoglobin towards oxygen. So the effect of pressure isn't significant for O2 transfer from the lungs to the blood.
as I understood it he was talking about maintaining the life supporting level of oxygen partial pressure by increasing ambient pressure in relation to the fading oxygen levels in tissues?

You are arguing a mute point, if you exhale while free diving, attempt to dive, and then ascend you have severely increased your risk of blacking out. Especially if you are 2 pounds positively buoyant.

If you know anything about free diving, or actually did it, then you would understand this. But for some reason, you are trying to argue that I am wrong.

Could you possibly do it and be fine, of course. Thats why I said it increases your risk, I never said it will happen for sure. If you have the perfect ascent profile and exhaled perfectly you might have enough 02 to safely surface as it expands because you took a breath of compressed air at depth.

But that is not the scenario. It is dive down to 70 feet on a breath hold, take a breath off a regulator, continuing free diving for a while and then come up. That would be the whole point of needing to adjust your buoyancy by exhaling right?

So you are trying to tell me, that through multiple process, the free diver did not increase his risk of a shallow water black out?

You are wrong, as usual.

maintaining the life supporting level of oxygen partial pressure
You're gonna black out long before the pPO2 in your lungs drops below "life supporting level". Your main concern won't be anoxya, it'll be drowning due to SWBO

You're gonna black out long before the pPO2 in your lungs drops below "life supporting level".

WRONG lol

Almost every post. You don't black out until you get back to shallow water.

You're gonna black out long before the pPO2 in your lungs drops below "life supporting level". Your main concern won't be anoxya, it'll be drowning due to SWBO
in tissues not airspace

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom