Mr T's Wild Freedive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have the perfect ascent profile and exhaled perfectly you might have enough 02 to safely surface as it expands because you took a breath of compressed air at depth.

But that is not the scenario. It is dive down to 70 feet on a breath hold, take a breath off a regulator, continuing free diving for a while and then come up. That would be the whole point of needing to adjust your buoyancy by exhaling right?

So you are trying to tell me, that through multiple process, the free diver did not increase his risk of a shallow water black out?
I really hope the freediver would exhale during the ascent because his lungs would explode to little pieces if he would breath hold the scuba breath from that depth. He would probably be HAPPY to black out at that point I believe o_O

exhaling on scuba ascent is for letting out the expanding air so that is does not rip the poor diver apart. buoyancy control is maintained by other means when ascending

I really hope the freediver would exhale during the ascent because his lungs would explode to little pieces

Are you trying to explain lung over expansion to me? Something I have mentioned in this thread multiple times? Thanks for that.

My point is if you let out too much air, you won't have enough 02 when you hit 10 meters due to a sudden drop of oxygen levels, increasing your risk of blacking out. But if you let out air very slowly and ascended in a multi-level diving manor then theoretically you could exhale the gas in your lungs at the proper rate to get you all the way to the top. IF you could maintain your buoyancy, which I further doubt.

So if thats your plan, I say good luck to you. Chances are due to the buoyancy change you will let out too much air in a panic and then as you ascend you will black out.

Thats why when free diving you hold your breath, it doesn't work if you let out air, for multiple reasons.

in tissues not airspace
Well, unlike others in this thread I'll freely admit I'm on extremely thin ice right now.

That said, life is extremely tenacious. Which is a consequence of evolution. And when the conditions turn to the extreme, the organism is able to employ some rather extreme measures. Perhaps the most extreme measure is total and complete unconsciousness. Which above water - where we evolved - might be a good strategy, but might not be an equally good strategy below water, as we're rather prone to drowning - and dying - if we become unconscious below water. Particularly if we haven't a reg - with a gag strap - securely fixed in our mouth.

tl;dr: passing out ≠ dying. Unless you're under water, because then you'll probably drown.

Are you trying to explain lung over expansion to me?
As you don't quote whatever you're replying to, it's kinda difficult to determine who you're replying to.

But just in case you're replying to me: no, I'm not.

Are you trying to explain lung over expansion to me? Something I have mentioned in this thread multiple times? Thanks for that.
As I've said before, you'd probably benefit a little from dialling down the condescension level in your posts. Your style doesn't much support your arguments. Because a truly knowledgeable person is, in fact, rather humble about what they know.

And yes, I know I'm not the poster boy for that practice.

As I've said before, you'd probably benefit a little from dialling down the condescension level in your posts. Your style doesn't much support your arguments. Because a truly knowledgeable person is, in fact, rather humble about what they know.

And yes, I know I'm not the poster boy for that practice.

And you may want to read up on free diving before exclaiming I am incorrect. I am regurgitating information I have read in the past and combining that with my experience, if every word I post isn't 100% correct my apologies. I thought my point was very clear and well substantiated.

So how many divers suffer from shallow water blackouts doing CESA training?

What's the difference between a diver doing a CESA and a freediver that has exhaled and then breathed off a scuba tank doing a CESA?

So how many divers suffer from shallow water blackouts doing CESA training?

What's the difference between a diver doing a CESA and a freediver that has exhaled and then breathed off a scuba tank doing a CESA?

Funny you asked that, as in previous conversations thats why I said you should take your reg out of your mouth in that situation, and people roasted me for it.

Also remember the context of the conversation, we are talking about someone taking a breath off of a regulator while free diving at depth, and then continuing a dive, without taking another breath off the regulator, then surfacing.

If you take a breath and then ascend right away yea you should be fine. But if your down there consuming the oxygen, or let out all your air, for instance if you ran out of air on scuba you wouldn't have a full breath, your chance of blacking out goes way up. But this has been my point all along, if you take a breath off a reg, your free dive is over, for multiple reasons.

Unless you are on a shallow reef, as I explained earlier.

Not very much. But are you willing to trust that the freediver is competent to understand that they should keep their airways open during an ascent after having sipped compressed air? Unless I know the freediver in question rather well, I'm not. I'm not willing to take the responsibility for an embolism.

Not very much. But are you willing to trust that the freediver is competent to understand that they should keep their airways open during an ascent after having sipped compressed air? Unless I know the freediver in question rather well, I'm not.

I don't disagree, but there's all this talk about shallow water blackouts for a free diver taking a hit off a tank that if that was a concern for some of the reasons discussed, would present itself with a scuba diver doing a CESA.

I 100% agree that there are lots of risks with giving a free diver a breath off a tank, but I struggle with shallow water blackouts being one of them, at least at a higher level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom