Mr T's Wild Freedive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
On this, we definitely can agree. If not much else.

Why don't you get busy on some data with scuba divers doing a CESA and see what the probability of blacking out is?

Or you can just parrot whatever you read.

No I am not.
Yes you are because you are assuming that the couple of bars of extra nitrogen would magically disappear from the lungs if you just swim around for a minute before ascending.

of course it can be tested for sure. anyone attempting would end up in hospital or worse.

silly indeed but rather important discussion anyway it seems

You don't have to get all huffy, bro,
You seem to have a problem with my posts: not the other way around. Hey, if I've posted something in error, then please show me my mistake. Otherwise, huffy is as huffy does.

That's not to say I think they're necessary accurate, in fact some of them are completely bonkers,
This might qualify as one of the most understated observations ever. Socrates' "I drank what?" and Lovell's "Houston we've had a problem." are the only two that come to mind.

The gas in your lungs, no matter the depth, is 78.1% N2, 20.9% O2 minus the amount you've metabolized,
I read that and snickered. I thought to myself, "Go mow the lawn a bit and I bet he'll have edited his post to something reasonable." I've been at it for over two hours and no edit. I mean, how can you be that wrong and then unequivocally state
. Are you guys sure you got your open water?

But hey, 3 acres down and I still have 7.5 acres to go. I might have to clean out the carburetor before I continue, so I'll finish up lunch and get going. I'll see if they come up with anything more accurate by this evening.

Yes you are because you are assuming that the couple of bars of extra nitrogen would magically disappear from the lungs if you just swim around for a minute before ascending.

of course it can be tested for sure. anyone attempting would end up in hospital or worse.

silly indeed but rather important discussion anyway it seems

At depth you will use it as faster, hence the higher affinity of 02 in free divers. Above 10 meters, during the most dramatic pressure change, that affinity goes away, and now your brain is faced with a sudden drop of 02.

So. If you use your 02 at depth, before surfacing then you black out. So this is dependent on how long your hold breath and how much 02 you had to start.

Doing anything that reduces the amount of 02 you started with, increases the odds that you will not have enough and you will pass out. Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

At depth you won't use it as fast, because of the higher affinity of 02.
Citation required. This is not how this works. It has to do with the partial pressure of oxygen. The higher the pressure, the faster you metabolize it. Why do you think they put the guy who ran a 100 yd touchdown pure O2? The body consumes oxygen faster at depth due to the higher PP and then, then the already depleted PP of oxygen drops as you ascend. Once you hit a certain point, cerebral hypoxia occurs and you black out.

Don't know not sure what your point is. Anyone doing one on a half a breath or no breath, then ascending will have a much higher chance of passing out.
The point is to attribute outcomes to the correct causes. In this case, the cause being simply holding one's breath too long, not a result if something unique that occurs in freedivers that have taken a breath at depth. You may get to the same end result, but how you get there matters, especially when we are talking about identifying risky behaviors.

That was a typo, obviously. I edited it. We are talking about having enough 02 to come up, if you didnt use it as fast at depth then you would have plenty.

The higher affinity is a way for the body to offset the faster consumption. When you come up, that snaps back and you can be without enough 02 or not enough 02 pressure.

The point is to attribute outcomes to the correct causes. In this case, the cause being simply holding one's breath too long, not a result if something unique that occurs in freedivers that have taken a breath at depth. You may get to the same end result, but how you get there matters, especially when we are talking about identifying risky behaviors.

It is the exact same it is no different. There are 2 things that can cause a shallower water blackout, not to be confused with a deep water blackout:

#1 Not enough 02
#2 Not enough pressure to get the 02 to the brain

I really have to go, I told myself I would not spend all day educating but here I am. I leave you with this, you should really read it:

https://www.degruyter.com/downloadpdf/j/tnsci.2013.4.issue-3/s13380-013-0130-5/s13380-013-0130-5.pdf

I also recommend looking into the citations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom