Mr. Kim Lost In Oregon Wilderness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Sad.

Has anyone ever heard of "Bending the Map"?

I first read about this in Deep Survival. This case sounds like classic case, or I guess it could be simple hypothermia.

The stages of being lost--

You deny that you're disoriented and press on with growing urgency.
You admit you're lost, you begin to panic.
You calm down and form a strategy.
You deteriorate both mentally and physically as your strategy fails to get you out.
You become resigned to your plight as you run out of options.

The curious thing is that there is a suggestion that the psycology of being lost and the disorientation that ensues causes people to die more quickly than otherwise expected.

Any survivalists out there with knowledge on this subject?

Ive been following it on the news.. its a very sad situation... Yes, I have heard of it, and I would assume that it is something like that in this situation. Its hard to tell, not knowing his experience.

I wonder how long people would be able to stay in the car. Nine days must seem like a very long tome. The area looks very remote. I can't stand the mountains when you cannot see very far, down in a crack like that. I like to be able to see the horizon at all times. I wonder what kind of food people that live in the cold should keep in their cars.

They say that people who are lost often do illogical things like tear off up a steep embankment and use up all your energy. I think you are supposed to really focus on conserving energy...
There have been many instances where they find people who have died who have emergency packs and have never opened them.

A few decades ago I was driving in my old pickup with camper through the Kalmiopsis Wilderness up in Oregon and a sudden snowstorm came up. Although I got stuck a few times, I was able to eventually get out and get back down to lower elevations. Fortunately I carried food, water and everything else I needed in the camper.

However that experience has caused me to follow this particular situation. The news has been speculating that he is leaving clothing, pieces of the map, etc., so rescuers can follow his trail. I hope he is still alive and will be found so he can be reunited with his family. A potentially sad story, but let's hope not.

drbill:
A few decades ago I was driving in my old pickup with camper through the Kalmiopsis Wilderness up in Oregon and a sudden snowstorm came up. Although I got stuck a few times, I was able to eventually get out and get back down to lower elevations. Fortunately I carried food, water and everything else I needed in the camper.

However that experience has caused me to follow this particular situation. The news has been speculating that he is leaving clothing, pieces of the map, etc., so rescuers can follow his trail. I hope he is still alive and will be found so he can be reunited with his family. A potentially sad story, but let's hope not.

Dr.bill: Unforunatley the brave Mr.Kim, trying to save his family, was found dead this afternoon:

They found him, he succumbed to the elements, condolences to his family.

Likewise, condolences to family and friends. Truly a sad piece of irony that the husband goes off in search of rescue for his loved ones, yet he dies and they are safe.

nine days is a long time to "wait".

I wonder if he became lost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom