Mr. C Boat Schedule?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey LeeAnne I knew you would come through!

Okay - sorry for the delay, everyone - I didn't see this thread on Monday or I would have been in here right away.

So, here's the deal: we're unable to access the Mr C website at all, to make any changes or updates, or even access messages. The person who put it together had a hard drive crash and we can't get into it at all. Pat feels very bad about this, but no emails sent through that website are getting through. We're working on this, and Pat sincerely apologizes for any confusion this has caused.

For any calls about Mr C, please call Pat directly: 818-640-9389. He ALWAYS answers all of my calls, so he'll answer yours too. HT, I forgot to ask him about your hood - I'll call him a bit later and ask about it. If it's on the boat, we'll find it and get it back to you. Sincere apologies for the delay!

Schedule: the charters he had going on with Sea d Sea are now over for the season. He has one more charter coming up with Ye Old Dive Shop in Simi for 11/14 - you can sign up for that with them.

Chris - your 2-for-1 coupon is definitely still good, and Pat will make sure you get to use it. He's working with the captain to set up an open-boat schedule now. I'll personally communicate with you once we know what it is.

I completely understand that this appears to be a case of poor/uncaring customer service. Nothing could be further from the truth, and I take responsibility for not managing their presence on ScubaBoard, as I promised to handle that for him. I should have seen this thread two days ago, and immediately hopped on it. Sorry everyone!

As for upcoming trips: we're looking at putting two trips together in the near future:

1) A Saturday night lobster dive - 3 dives at a nearby breakwater. This will be AWESOME - no long plow to Catalina, GREAT price! (Price to be posted once we get it confirmed). Sunset departure, return at a reasonable time so you can get a good night's sleep, with your bugs in the fridge. :wink:

2) I would like to sponsor a DIR/DIR-Curious dive day! Similar to the DIR/DIR-Curious day we did at Laguna Beach, but on a boat. I'll be posting a separate thread for this, to see if we can drum up enough divers. If we can get 15 or more, we'll have a trip. Now, I'm not in a financial position to be able to actually *charter* the boat - it will have to run as an open boat - but I would LOVE to sponsor this. Thoughts?

Anyway, I want to apologize again for the lack of response, and problems with the website. Feel free to call Pat any time. Also, feel free to PM me personally. PMs on SB notify me with immediate emails, so I promise to respond quickly.

Oh, and one more point: I am not an employee of Mr C. I'm just, shall we say, a "friend of the boat". I think they are great guys, and run a fantastic operation. This is not an easy task - taking over this boat - but they are up for the challenge. I encourage you to give them a chance. :)

Thanks for the update, LeeAnne! They really ought to do something about the website. Having people sending e-mails and getting no response is doing them harm. At worst, they should just pull the site down while they get it in order.

I know a few of us would be interested in a trip on 11/20 to Catalina (few/no hunters in the group). If anything can get set up, definitely post details.

Right now, I'm organizing roughly monthly DIR charters (on various boats). We're getting a good turn out for those. I think a day on the Mr. C could certainly work. The biggest issue for many of us is ample warning. We tend to book our schedules at least two to three months out. If I, or anyone else can help, just say the word.

Appreciate you taking the time to follow up on this. Hopefully we can (finally!) get on the Mr. C for a trip. :)

Hi Chris,

Well 11/20 won't work for me, only because that's my last day of DIR Fundies. I'm going to be spending MY entire day underwater at the dive park! :D But if you have enough people interested in a Catalina trip, please let me know and I'll see what Pat can do for that date.

I should have mentioned - the DIR/DIR-Curious day I'm talking about would be in early to mid December. AFTER I've finished Fundies. :wink: I'm still waiting for confirmation on possible dates, will post when I have more info.

Meanwhile, do you want me to talk to Pat about seeing if he can do an open boat day on the 20th?

Yes, totally agree about the website. That's really a problem, and he's trying to get that resolved. We didn't realize what was going on for a while, and now that we do, we can't even get in it to take it down! Stay tuned - we'll get that resolved one way or another.

Why spend it at the dive park when you could do it on a boat? :wink: [Very excited to hear how your class goes!]

As for a DIR day, I know several of us are away the first weekend in Dec, but perhaps we could get something organized for the second weekend?

Hard to get any firm commitments for 11/20 without the boat having a published charter for that date, but if Pat wants to organize something, I can start seeing about serious interest in getting out. If we don't hear anything by next week, we'll probably just make plans to shore dive.

LeeAnne, like I mentioned in my PM this afternoon, the first weekend in December is booked for a few of us....but I'm free the second and third weekends of December. Once we get the Mr. C schedule figured out, we should post a thread (maybe a poll?) to see how much interest there would be. When we set up charters, we always make sure that we have enough people committed to going before we commit ourselves financially. That said, that's a much easier task when you know the people personally, rather than over a forum!

Do let us know about the Mr. C schedule. In the meantime, we could post a thread to see which date would work best for the most people. Also, do you know how many people the boat can take? Are they doubles/scooter friendly? Do they pump 32% or just air? Most importantly, are you going to be bringing delicious dessert for the boat that day? :wink:

Oh, and one more point: I am not an employee of Mr C. I'm just, shall we say, a "friend of the boat". I think they are great guys, and run a fantastic operation. This is not an easy task - taking over this boat - but they are up for the challenge. I encourage you to give them a chance. :)

Well, since basic computer skills are essential these days to run a business, Pat should have gotten on here himself and responded and continue to do so. I'm sure he has internet access and only takes a few minutes to set up an account. Having you (a non-employee) respond to this thread just increased the first impression I got from the thread. If it were my business, I'd jump in here and stand behind / for my business, not have a "friend of the boat" do it. :shakehead:

Do let us know about the Mr. C schedule. In the meantime, we could post a thread to see which date would work best for the most people. Also, do you know how many people the boat can take? Are they doubles/scooter friendly? Do they pump 32% or just air? Most importantly, are you going to be bringing delicious dessert for the boat that day? :wink:

I wouldn't plan on bringing a whole lot of extraneous gear. It's a fairly narrow beam. There's room for dive boxes and stuff on the bow. While it's been about 6 years since I've been on Mr. C, I don't seem to recall there being much in the way of extra space (assuming a full load of divers).

I think they do 3000PSI air, so if you have 130s, bring them.

Not being able to get the scooters on would be a deal-breaker for me.

I believe it's air only, so treat the dives like the Spectre (i.e. shallow).

I wouldn't plan on bringing a whole lot of extraneous gear. It's a fairly narrow beam. There's room for dive boxes and stuff on the bow. While it's been about 6 years since I've been on Mr. C, I don't seem to recall there being much in the way of extra space (assuming a full load of divers).

I think they do 3000PSI air, so if you have 130s, bring them.

Just got to work, not a lot of time to devote to answering questions, but I'll do a quick blast now and post more later:

1. I will try to confirm the Mr C schedule today. I'll shoot for the 2nd week in December for a DIR day on the boat. If I can get that, it would have to be on Sunday (Dec. 12) as I'm booked on the 11th. I'll post a thread once I get it confirmed. So glad to see some interest!

2. Nicole - you BET I'll bring my famous desserts! Actually I'll probably provide all the food. :)

3. Size - it's not a large boat. Optimum diver load is about 20. There IS room for scooters - there are two low platforms on the deck that can hold such gear. It's best if people bring soft-sided gear bags, rather than large pelican boxes, as too much hard stuff would definitely crowd things up. However, there's a nice roomy bunk room where you can keep all your non-essential stuff, to keep the deck open for dive gear.

4. No nitrox - 3000psi fills.

5. On Two Wheels - there's another, less-negative way to look at it: Pat is a smart man for obtaining so much free assistance from somebody who IS computer-savvy! :wink: I would like to make one request - please don't publicly bash the operation if you don't have any direct experience with them. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and I understand your choice to form an impression based on this one aspect...I just think you're being a bit harsh towards a dive op that you don't actually know anything about. Come try a day with us and THEN post your impressions! :) They may not be the most computer-savvy guys, but they are all LA County instructors, the captain is an LA firefighter, the DMs are some of the best I've worked with, and the part-time galley wench ain't bad neither. :wink: (And the lemon bars alone are worth the price of admission - or so I'm told!)

More later - gotta earn a paycheck here, since Pat sure doesn't pay me much! :D

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom