Moving up from Cressi Leonardo - suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elora_c

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My Cressi Leonardo was the first piece of dive equipment (after a wetsuit) that I purchased after getting certified. Unfortunately, I've already come to greatly dislike it and would like to replace it before my next trip in October. My background: AOW certified 2 years ago. 29 logged dives. Warm water only diving. I'm a small female, < 6.5" wrist circumference, though I do wear a 3.5mm wetsuit. At the time of my initial purchase, I didn't understand about the different algorithms used in computers. I have since learned (through personal experience and research) just how conservative the Leonardo is, and I would prefer something less conservative. And I thought the 1-button interface would be easy, but now really can't stand it. So I am looking for a computer that is
1) less conservative than the Leonardo (not hard, since everything is - I like the dual algorithms of the Oceanics)
2) won't be too huge on my small wrist, but still large enough to see at depth
3) easy to switch between air and nitrox (my next trip will be 4 dives a day, and I plan to use nitrox on dives 2 & 4)
4) I'm a data junkie so I like downloading the dive profiles afterwards, but that's just a nice-to-have
5) dive log (but I imagine all do)
6) I don't need multi gas or AI (or other fancy things that I don't even know are options)
7) < $400

The DM on my last trip recommended the Oceanic Geo 2.0 which looks nice on paper, but I haven't had a chance to see it in person yet. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Was going to mention the Geo 2 to go along with your small wrist and I see the DM beat me to it. I have a Geo 2 and like it, but I'm a guy and have found that I like the larger puck style computers more for diving so I tend to gravitate for the Mare Puck Pro or the Veo 3 ahead of the Geo 2 these days.

Oceanic computers have dual algorithms with the DSAT being the less conservative of the 2. All the above have 2-4 buttons, multigas, gauge mode, etc.

The Mares Puck Pro can be had for $170, the Oceanic Geo 2 $280, the Veo 3 around $300. Data cable is another 50-100 depending on what kind of deal you can work out with the shop. One reason I like the Mares is that the price/value is VERY attractive. Nothing wrong with the other computers and they are nice as well, but the value for the price of the Puck can be very hard to beat.

Some computers would not let you change from air to nitrox or vice versa readily. Some computers will also default back to air from nitrox after certain eclipsed time. READ the small print diligently.
If in doubt set air to Nitrox 21 and check the setting before every dive.
I am glad my ancient(18yrs) Uwatec Aladin Pro Nitrox never has such a "problem".

The DSAT logarithm on Oceanic is pretty liberal.

Actually if you want a significantly different algorithm you will not want a Mares either. Or a Suunto. And I think the new Deep6 computer will run a modified bubble model as well.

The Geo 2.0 should meet your needs nicely with a few added features. They were running in the 350 to 400 dollar range but looks like there as been a price drop. I see Leisurepro has them for 284.

Thanks for the info and tips. I hadn't seen the Geo 2.0 below $429 (even yesterday, I'd swear LeisurePro had it at that price). See it now at $284. That definitely makes that much more appealing. I had been considering the Veo instead as it was cheaper, but much larger, but with that sale price the Geo seems the way to go.

I like having options and comparing things, so I didn't want to just blindly go with the first computer that was recommended to me, but it does sound like she got it right with her recommendation. The dive shop I'm planning to visit today has both Oceanic and Mares, so hopefully I can get a chance to try them out physically. Thanks again!

I'll second either a Veo 3.0 or Geo 2.0. Both are dual-algorithm DSAT (liberal) and PZ+ (bit more conservative); 3/4 button controls make it easy to scroll back and forth; back-light; and both support multiple gas mixes (2). I recently picked up a pair of Veo 3.0's from LP for $275 each and a data cable for $50 from eBay. Both Veo 3 and Geo 2 are virtually identical; the biggest difference is the form-factor. I just prefer the larger size screen and larger buttons of the Veo 3; plus in my line of work I would never wear a $300 watch (I'm on my 3rd $12 Wal-Mart-special Casio hahaha).

The menu/settings layout takes a bit of getting used to, but is somewhat remedied by the free online computer class you get with the purchase.

There you go. The Cressi, Mares, and Suunto will all be conservative with their RGBM algorthms. The Deep 6 computer will be equally conservative with a RGBM algorithm. The DeepBlu computer is very conservative with its proprietary, detuned version of Buhlmann ZH-L16C, even in their progressive setting. The Aqua Lung computers are from Pelagic Pressure Systems but have been stripped of DSAT, and only run PZ+, a middle of the road Buhlmann proprietary algorithm. If you want flexibility, you'll have to get an Oceanic computer offering both DSAT and PZ+. Your choices appear to be Veo2, Veo3 and Geo2. I have been diving a Geo2 backup to my VT3 for 5 years. It has been flawless, battery change is a cinch.

Many divers do not even know there is a choice in decompression algorithms, you are ahead of the curve.

Best of luck, good diving,

Craig

Veo3 or Geo 2.0 would be a good choice.

What exactly do you mean by "too conservative?" Yes, this is a leading question.

I have since learned (through personal experience and research) just how conservative the Leonardo is:
Just a thought:

I'm 58 yrs old and got certified over 30 yrs ago, so I'm sure my age and physiology affects my opinions. I'm not sure I understand the plan to use Nitrox on 2 & 4? Is that the common way to dive on a live-aboard, or is it what they're teaching these days? I guess the idea is it to reduce O2 loading? Or just to save a few dollars?

Anyhow, if I were doing 4 dives a day, I think I'd want to be a little conservative. That's a bit of Nitrogen over a week, unless you're diving really shallow.

I've been using a Suunto Vyper for years and am very happy, although it's pretty conservative compared to others. But it's safe, proven and meets the rest of your criteria. The Suunto Zoop is very similar and comes in colors if that's of interest to you.

Can I ask how you get such low prices from LP? Id like to get a pair of Veos for my wife and I but I only see a price of $350 each.

Back
Top Bottom