Moving to St. John USVI...PLEASE GOD I NEED TIPS!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Jay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Well Ive taken a position with a dive Op on St. John USVI. I'll be heading out there end of this month and if all goes well will stay on. I could use some suggestions regarding:

housing (places to avoid if any)

Transport (where can i buy a jeep)

places to visit (bars, good food, fun activities)

people (do you live there, will you be my buddy? :D)

"Gee I wish I had remembered to bring that" items

furnishings (where can i buy stuff for my apartment / house)

cable / internet / cellphone (who provides these services)

Banking (should i open up an account with a local bank)

and hookers (just kidding!!:dork2:)

If you can help me with one of all of these pls post. I have a little time but not much as the jobs starts soooooo so I need to get a move on. thanks guys and I look forward to reading your responses!!!

Dang dude! You didn't figure out all that stuff before you took the position? :D

:dork2:

Must be very exciting!

Good luck and have fun!

First,
There's not much on St. John. Housing is limited and expensive. St. Thomas is much more populated. The first thing you need to go with is housing. Everything after that will fall into place. You will find a ride quickly, although you really wont need one. I lived on St. Thomas for a few years and got around without a car.

Places to visit?-You'll find these in a couple of days.
People?-You'll quickly find out who's local and who's not. Primarily by the way their dressed. Plus, there's not a lot of people so when you see the same face over and over, you get an idea.
Furnishings are like the car. You'll discover who has what for sale pretty quickly.
The bank is going to be on St. T. I don't remember a bank on St. John. If you can get by with a little cash, I would keep a stateside bank and mail your checks and deposits to them. Depending on your personal financial situation.
Fresh water is almost non-existent. You get your shower water from cisterns so forget long hot showers.
Don't know about cell and internet, it's been too long for that.
Rent is real expensive so you may find yourself with a roommate. You can't take anything for granted, i.e. water, propane, heat/air, so make sure you ask.

I'm rambling but you get the general idea. PM me if you have any questions.

BVM yeah it was kind of short notice hehe!! MRP thanks for the data. I assume you lived there a while? What kind of housing is available out there? Mostly homes or apartments / condos?

J

You're going to find that almost everything is homes or rooms for rent. I can't recall too many apartments. On St. Thomas, they're is a lot of government housing (don't live there). A room to rent or sharing a house is probably going to be your best bet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom