Moving to Santa Cruz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beeleist

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I have immediate plans to move to the San Francisco Bay area, anybody got some good dive sites, advice, or want to dive with me?

Will you be in the San Francisco Bay area or Santa Cruz (which is technically Monterey Bay)? There are a bunch of awesome (albeit cold for wetsuits) sites in the Monterey Bay. As for the San Francisco Bay, I can't really say though I am sure there must be some. I go to school in Santa Cruz but am from Marin and will be back there in the summer to hopefully sniff out some dive sites.

What kind of wetsuit (or drysuit) do you own or have you been renting?

There's not a whole lot of diving in Santa Cruz...although it's quite lovely there. Monterey and Carmel are super-duper, world class diving destinations. San Francisco does have a few spots...if you have a boat, like rough and tough diving and know someone.

Go Slugs!!!

X

Will you be in the San Francisco Bay area or Santa Cruz (which is technically Monterey Bay)? There are a bunch of awesome (albeit cold for wetsuits) sites in the Monterey Bay. As for the San Francisco Bay, I can't really say though I am sure there must be some. I go to school in Santa Cruz but am from Marin and will be back there in the summer to hopefully sniff out some dive sites.

What kind of wetsuit (or drysuit) do you own or have you been renting?

I guess the monterey bay area then. I dont have a wetsuit yet, umm... how cold is it? you guys really say "hella" up here?

I guess the monterey bay area then. I dont have a wetsuit yet, umm... how cold is it? you guys really say "hella" up here?

Surface temps are usually 50-55, with bottom temps that can drop to 47 or so, depending on the site. A LOT of the frequent divers here dive dry, which I hope to be doing in the not too distant future. For now though, I use a 7mm one-piece wetsuit over a 6/5/4mm hooded vest, 5mm gloves, and 7mm booties. I typically start to feel the cold once I get down below 50'. I'd like to be a bit warmer, but would rather not carry any more weight to compensate. Your results may vary.

Hella? That's sooooo 90's

ther is no diving in san francisco unless you'd like to get chopped up by a cargo ship's propellers or get covered in poo and oil.

dhammer:
Hella? That's sooooo 90's

Actually, hella is still in for the younger crowd and they still say wicked on the East Coast too. :cool2:

I admit that I say 'hella.' I'm not proud of it. You SoCal folk really put a 'the' in front of major freeway names?

As far as wetsuits needed here go, THICK. 7mm farmer john/jane and jacket, or 7mm full with a 7mm jacket/vest.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom