Moving in order to dive more, a crazy idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a crazy idea. It's crazy because every minute that goes by is another minute you could be spending in Florida. Go! :D

I own a house in New Smyrna Beach, Florida and I live in upstate New York. Made the mistake of moving up here 8 years ago when the kids were young and damn it, it's a great place to raise a family and they love it here! I'm currently scheming to work from home full-time, kick the renters out of my Florida house, and take long trips down to Florida and work from there. With laptop, cable modem, and speaker phone, I'm in the office wherever I am.

You'd be a fool not to go now.

Years ago when left my dearly beloved ‘home’ of 27 years people asked, “Why did you leave such a great place?” My answer was to go where the best skiing and hang gliding in the US was.

Do it, tomorrow may be too late, if it's your dream follow it. You might even meet your mermaid, assuming your not attached.

Pete

triton94949:
I have several x-friends who dropped everything (career, friends, etc) to move to Florida. It happens more than you think. Expecially once they catch the scuba bug and start to burn out on their careers.

foutz, how old are you? I did it when I was 22 and never looked back. You just have to be willing to live with some uncertaintly for the short term......ie, not having a "real" job lined up till you get here, or be willing to work in the service industry or similar (always jobs in abundance of those in FL, and no major experience required) until you get a foothold. I can't speak for lifestyles in Centeral Florida, but I know South Florida is where I had to be--and hasn't changed in almost ten years. Also, "real" jobs is a falsehood. I graduated college, moved here and worked on the beach for a year until I figured out what I wanted to really do. My college friends thought I was nuts....now they're divorcing, doubting their career paths and otherwise starting to rethink things. Sometimes taking an alternate path will get you somewhere faster than if you followed the "straight and narrow".

If I were to contemplate making that change now at 30 than when I did at 22, I might never have the guts. The worst that can happen? It doesn't work out for you and you go back to a place you prefer/remember/know.

Kbeck: Old enough to be done with school and young enough to not have a mortgage.

Actually I’m going to be doing my work at home stint (a large programming project) until around January of next year, so finding employment isn’t an issue. I can be anywhere as long as I have electricity and high speed internet. After that I’ll have to relocate up north and get another “real job.”

I agree with real jobs not being all they’re cracked up to be. I used to do the 9-6 jacket and tie shtick. It seemed like every day around 3:00 or 3:30 I would become completely worthless and want to go home!

Heck, the encouragement I’ve gotten on this board makes me actually seriously consider doing this!

jfoutz:
I’m currently in between “real jobs” and working from home for a little bit. (Well, actually I don’t do any work at home – I spend a lot of money at a local coffee shop.) The lease on my house here in New Orleans runs out at the end of June, so I have to move. I was originally thinking of trying to find a short-term (six month) lease here locally. Then my father pointed out that I don’t have anything tying me here at all and suggested that I go do something new and exciting.

At first I thought about buying a sailboat and moving onto it, but it would be a bit of a financial stretch and just isn’t going to happen. So now I’m thinking maybe it might be nice to move to central Florida for a bit so that I can at least go cave diving once or twice a week.

I’m curious to know what people think. A good idea? A bad idea? A really really stupid idea? Any thoughts?

Asking this here, is like asking a group of alcoholics, if they would mind if you bought them another drink! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom