Question Everyday diving in Southern Spain?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Ana

Ana

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Well it happened. I never imagined I'd leave South Florida but the insurance companies and the hurricanes won. I'm moving out to Spain, however going home to the Basque Country with their forever rain and cold may kill me, I'll start in the south by the Mediterranean Sea.

Will start in Valencia for a short time and decide from there. Does anyone here knows about a particular location that has practical year round diving? I first thought the Canary Islands but the Atlantic in that area is way too cold year round. Any info?

Valencia is meh, at least to me. Marbella is ok if you want to be on the mainland. Ibiza, Mallorca and Menorca are some of the best diving the Med can offer if you can ignore/join all the partying tourists in the summer season. The marine reserves are pretty much my wet dream, incredible how quickly the sea there recovered from literal thousands of years of exploitation.

Where do you think is the best diving in the Mediterranean from an UW photographer point of view?

Valencia is meh, at least to me. Marbella is ok if you want to be on the mainland. Ibiza, Mallorca and Menorca are some of the best diving the Med can offer if you can ignore/join all the partying tourists in the summer season. The marine reserves are pretty much my wet dream, incredible how quickly the sea there recovered from literal thousands of years of exploitation.
You don't mention water temps on this wet dream of yours, on mine I wear a think lycra suit, steel tank, no weight belt, full foot fins with toes exposed and no head cover, like last week's dive.

Honestly, it doesn't have to be a reserve worthy of Cousteau's documental, my current daily diving is average at best, reef is obviously struggling and marine life is such a small fraction of what it was when I moved here in the 80's. So the dives aren't worthy of a report, I see the disappointment the few times a visitor join us, because my local area isn't like the brochures, but is 45 minutes from my living room and we enjoy it greatly.

So now it is on my best interest to move to Spain, starting in Valencia is just convenient because I have cousins there for the last 50 years that I like. They will welcome me, including husband and an almost 30Kg floof. From there I think I have the complete Schengen area to get a place to live. I'm just hoping I find a reasonable place to end my days where I can dive when the seas are good, without much complication. Not sure if the target towns of every drunk guiri of europe would be that place.

With that said I appreciate every opinion, I get that my wish is quite specific and I may not find what I want, but I'll continue looking for it.

Where do you think is the best diving in the Mediterranean from an UW photographer point of view?
Considering my undying affection for everyone wielding a camera, as far away from me as possible :D
You don't mention water temps on this wet dream of yours, on mine I wear a think lycra suit, steel tank, no weight belt, full foot fins with toes exposed and no head cover, like last week's dive.
The med is the med, can't really expect tropical temperatures this far north. During this summer we had 28-29C temperatures in the middle of the Adriatic and those were record breaking, most of the year 15 is the best you can hope for.

Reactions: Ana
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom