Mounting Tanks Valve side down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rdriver

Contributor
Reaction score
I know that I will probably get flamed for asking, but has anyone ever heard of caging the valves and mounting twins how would you say "upside down" I'm having some problems reaching the valves over my head a muscular upper body and short arms are a real limiting factor and in thinking about it, it would be much easier to reach down by my thighs to shut down posts than over my head, I would like some feedback pros and cons.
Please be kind.... it's just food for thought. I know it's not DIR But I'm sure that I'm not the only one out there with this problem?
After all if it is functional isn't that what counts, it doesn't do me much good if it looks good but I can't obtain the objective.
Thanks
Rob

Before you get carried away trying to create a solution for a problem that may not exist, let me ask a few questions.

Since you mentioned "twins" it's only doubles that you are considering mounting upsided down?

Have you ever worn doubles?

If you have, have you actually tried doing shutdowns, or are you making the assumption that due to your build it will be difficult?

If your answer to either of the last two questions is "no", I would suggest trying it valve up before looking into alternatives.

Also keep in mind that it is sometimes easier to reach the valves when you are properly trimmed in the water than it is when just trying to do the drill on land.

You might also have to play with tank height and adjustment to get it in the proper position for you to reach it.

Mounting tanks upside down can lead to a host of other problems, including having to get special hoses made up in order to get the necessary length.

Actually, this is not a new concept. It's never been the norm, but is was not unheard of in the 50's. Cousteau's divers have often have tanks set up similar to what you describe, although I believe they were also in a housing. That being said, I agree with Cave Diver. Try fixing the problem upright before moving to other options.

This was discussed last year at length in this thread. It also includes a link to an article about the Royal Navy using this configuration.

Marc

Ok, i think this is a bad idea for alot of reasons, but i have one question: How do you shut down the isolation??? Reach between your legs???

That config just doesnt sound that appealing to me...

rdriver once bubbled...
I'm having some problems reaching the valves over my head a muscular upper body and short arms

Rob, I know this may sound obvious, but have you tried stretching? Your valves should not be that hard to reach. It helps to have a friend take your hand so you can find them, then keep practicing.

It sounds like you work out. Just incorporate a shoulder stretch at the end of your workout. You know the drill...grasp your hands together behind your back, if you can't reach start with a towel in between. After a while you should have no problem.

I would get a slobwinder before I'd mount my tanks upside down...

You can also slide the tanks up a little in the bands. this is not good for trim, but what the heck, maybe with time you can slide them back down.

Before you go to mounting tanks upside down (which Ihave seen pics of, but none in person) try reaching your valves while horizontal in the water. While vertical I can barely turn them, but horizontal its mush easier.

The question on mounting tanks upside down or not has been answered. I just wanted to throw in that caging the first stages is really a bad solution for fixing bad bouyancy control, i am not saying you have bad B-control but that was the reason divers caged their 1st stages. It is the same for using an 80/20 mix for deco, bad solution to fix B-control problems.

After you try out the helpful suggestions listed above & if you are still are not able to reach your valves, you might want to consider a set of tanks/valves that are MADE to be used inverted from the get go.
Check out: http://www.interspiro.com/divator.html
The rig never caught on in the US because it was introduced in the late '60s, early '70s & a 4400 psi fill was impossible to find.
The composite bottles aren't approved for the US, but the steel bottles are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom