Mounting Tanks Valve side down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

most people when not using a scooter have their arms folded or crossed in front of them, or when looking around with the light slightly extended etc. so just under your line of sight your gauges and bottom timer are there when you need a quick look. It also keeps your hands right next to the lp inflator and dry suit inflator to adjust buoyancy. Also you minimize the excessive movement when all the areas you need to adjust, look at touch etc are in a more confined area

Having the tanks inverted also adds the issue of much longer hose routings going across the length body. This poses a much larger risk of entangelment and hazards as well.

With the tanks and valves in the proper position you are much more streamlined, have better trim and you have a higher degree of safety.

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...

With the tanks and valves in the proper position you are much more streamlined, have better trim and you have a higher degree of safety.

Nonsense. You really have no idea what you're talking about do you? Can you spell P A R R O T?

Properly rigged hoses on inverted tanks are much less snag prone than upright bottles, there is nothing on your shoulders. (routes up the armpit)
Try it out the next time you need to do a blackwater crawl through a pile of tree branches & roots or concrete w/rebar.

There are a couple of organizations that mount tanks like this. Other than that, I just wouldn't do it because it's so unusual that it may cause problems down the line. For example, other divers won't know how your rig works. Also, if it does cause some kind of problem, we may not know about it because so few people dive like this.

If you seek any training, they'll most likely make you change it. If not, the instructor will have no experience with it and won't be able to teach you as well.

To me the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

I also think that if the problem is reaching the valves, then this can be dealt with. Going to an upside down setup is going to be much more of a headache than stretching the shoulder after each workout.

Cages around the valves are just an entanglement hazard, I wouldn't do it. It's also unnecessary...unless of course you can't see where you are going, or you have your tanks upside down. ;-)

I have a friend thats 5'4 190 and powerlifter, he had the same problem. But after some gear adjustments and alot of practice he had no problems. I would just get a partner to help adjust your gear and guide your hands till you can get it yourself.

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...

Also your hands should always be in a position where you can see the computer on your right hand, compass on the left, and access your spg clipped off on the waist d ring. reaching over your shoulder and behind your neck to do gas shut off or to isolate a tank is very very easy and accessible. Having the valves below and behind in a tight spot can leave you in a position to not have any way to do a shutdown, and the obvious result of that is scary. If your hands are always in a position to reach the valves below you then how do you look at your gauges? You can't. How do you adjust the buoyancy for the bcd and dry suit? you can't. With your hands and valves in the forward position you have easy access to everything you need.

I hope this helps.

As someone else has asked.."Whats easier? Scratching your arse or between your shoulder blades?"

Also what is the crap about the hands in front?....What is the difference of shutting off the tank from reaching back behind your head or your butt??......

I don't know about you, but I don't have eyes in back of my head or my arse....So in either case as soon as you reach to shut off the tank you have lost sight off your compass and/or computer.

Sorry I buy most of this post...but I do agree of the potential damage to the usual type of valves that we currently use, from dropping , banging etc.....But I do have to defer that judgement to the resident commercial divers who use the typw of configuration at times....

First of all I would like to thank all of you for your replies Pros and cons..... at least I got some people wondering......
I finally found a comfortable way to shut valves off, I have to loosen my rig quite a bit and stand on my head to pull it up enough to reach the posts ..... but it is doable.....not great but doable.
thanks again
Rob

rdriver once bubbled...
First of all I would like to thank all of you for your replies Pros and cons..... at least I got some people wondering......
I finally found a comfortable way to shut valves off, I have to loosen my rig quite a bit and stand on my head to pull it up enough to reach the posts ..... but it is doable.....not great but doable.
thanks again
Rob

Rob, do yourself a favor and take a class. What you are describing is not really all that safe. When the sh hits the F, you don't want to have to do acrobatics.

A GUE Fund. class will cover this.

If you don't want to take a class, just ask a local instructor to spend 1 hour with you adjusting the rig. That's the minimum I would do.

Good luck with it.

Used to dive with a guy from Russia who dove with the tanks inverted... strange rig. And of course commercial bail outs for surface-supplied divers are inverted... well, that's the way we used them.

However, I assume you are not a working diver, but recreational. In that case you'd likely find it worth while to conform to what is unarguably the norm and have your tank valves behind your head. If they are difficult to reach, and you still have some rotator cuff left in both sholders, there are a couple of Yoga / Tai Chi exercises that will open up your mobility.

You do well to ask though because if you can't operate your tank valves, your safety in the water is seriously compromised in my opinion.

Anyway, work at it mate and I would seriously suggest dropping by your local Y and asking a yoga instructor for some tips...

Take care

Doppler

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom