Mounting addition weights to SSBP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zero

Contributor
Reaction score
The very far side of the Milky Way - Aurora, Ontar
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings,

One of the challenges diving with a complete dry suit kit (fleece, dry gloves, hood, etc) is that you require a bit of weight to achieve proper buoyancy. More importantly, trimming the distribution of weight is yet another interesting wrinkle to solve. Finally, I needed to ensure that this system can be reconfigured for various scenarios (cold water dry suit to warm water 3mm). The two ends points were I needed maximum amount of weight for the dry suit configuration to requiring no addition weight for my warm water setup.

Basic equipment: OMS SS BP with 60lb wing and OMS STA adapter. I haven’t jumped into diving with double yet, so a single AL80 or steel 100 are implemented as required.
Weights: Pair of 9lb channel weights, pair of 3lb channel weights with SS low profile hardware.

Solution: Complete dry suit kit – basic equipment with steel 100 along with pair of 9lb channel weights mounted on the back side between the BP and wing. Some ditchable weight is secure to my waist strap to complete the trim.

Dry suit only – basic equipment with steel 100 along with a pair of 3lb channel weights mounted on the back of the BP.

Warm water – basic equipment with AL80 and some ditchable weight on my waist strap.

Warning – make sure to drill the holes using a pilot hole before drilling the final holes. Use cutting fluid to avoid destroying the drill and hardening the SS. Counter boring all holes will prevent hasty cuts and equipment damage.

The hardware was secured form McMasterCarr: SS blind barrel nuts with SS machine screws and SS countersunk washers.

Attachments

• SSBPinsideR.jpg
    SSBPinsideR.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 70
  • SSBPOutsideR.jpg
    SSBPOutsideR.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 77
  • WSSBPR.jpg
    WSSBPR.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 66
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back