Mountain Creek Lake-DFW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was one of 5 staff divers (4/water...1/boat...and a non-diver shore tender) from our shop conducting a SAR last evening for a client to locate and recover a boat engine lower half at Mountain Creek Lake. I have never dove this lake and now understand why. The lake on average is 5-6ft. deep muddy/silty bottom creating a zero vis dive enviroment......no plant life and I saw or should I say felt any fish. Water was HOT at the surface. Lots of the usual junk on the bottom. Some mod. current as a result of the outflow waters from the TXU power plant which also accounts for the high water temp.. The sign at the boat dock WARNS fishers NOT to consume the fish as they are contaminated from various chemicals present in the waters. We have not yet located the engine. This lake will not make the top 10 best Tx. dive lakes---lol

texdiveguy:
The sign at the boat dock WARNS fishers NOT to consume the fish as they are contaminated from various chemicals present in the waters.

This is where our dive team pulls out the HazMat drysuits and the AGA FFM's......I hope they paid you well, ya never know what kinda chemical soup you were in.... :11:

Firefyter:
This is where our dive team pulls out the HazMat drysuits and the AGA FFM's......I hope they paid you well, ya never know what kinda chemical soup you were in.... :11:

I checked with TPW Env. officer for the latest partcl. count......the levels were very minor and posed no hazard for diving as we were conducting....BUT you are 100% right Thomas.....always check first and in doubt X the dive, and leave it to the PSD or other teams with the enviro gear!!!!

Alan,
It would not harm to do some cleaning.
Makes sure you use swimmers ear or Beer Ear and use it to clean your ears for a day or two. Then make sure you gave yourself a good scrub down, nothing wrong with using Betadine.
For your regulators and BC- take a bucket of water and mix the Betadine about 10 parts water to 1 part Betadine. The easy way is to just mix till it looks like light muddy river water. Then wash your regulators and pour some through your BC, unless you are positive that no water entered the BC.
We use this method to clean rebreathers parts and it does and good job. Follow up with a good rinse.

It is most important to clean your ears to stop ear infections- that really hurts.
You can guess how I know this- been there have the badge.

Stay healthy, Andrew

Ps- you need to look up the effects of diesel on your skin! If any diesel fuel is in the area you might feel it itching or burning. Just a heads up.

Crazyduck:
Alan,
It would not harm to do some cleaning.
Makes sure you use swimmers ear or Beer Ear and use it to clean your ears for a day or two. Then make sure you gave yourself a good scrub down, nothing wrong with using Betadine.
For your regulators and BC- take a bucket of water and mix the Betadine about 10 parts water to 1 part Betadine. The easy way is to just mix till it looks like light muddy river water. Then wash your regulators and pour some through your BC, unless you are positive that no water entered the BC.
We use this method to clean rebreathers parts and it does and good job. Follow up with a good rinse.

It is most important to clean your ears to stop ear infections- that really hurts.
You can guess how I know this- been there have the badge.

Stay healthy, Andrew

Ps- you need to look up the effects of diesel on your skin! If any diesel fuel is in the area you might feel it itching or burning. Just a heads up.

Andrew thanks for the post-dive clean-up info.. I always use drops in the ears after all dives and hit the shower as soon as home....10pm last night was one cleaning fool on the gear. Good point on hitting the ear drops again for a few days----will do that right now. Thanks Alan PS---say HI to the crew for me!!

Andrew....what's Beer Ear? I haven't heard of that one!

Hey Dee-
Ear Beer is homemade Swimmers ear.

Equal parts-
Distilled white vinegar
Isopropyl alcohol
Hydrogen peroxide
(The hydrogen peroxide is optional- however it is a good indicator if the area is clean- still foaming then it is not clean.)

A lot of divers use it before and after dives.
Please when mixing and using the first couple of times use small amounts until you are used to it.
Or use swimmers ear.

DISCLAIMER:
Very important; if you have been diving to stick nothing (including ear swabs) in your ear. After diving, clearing your ears, disinfecting them you can numb certain parts of your ear and you can do major damage to your ear and not feel it.

Dee:
Andrew....what's Beer Ear? I haven't heard of that one!

That's one of the many recipes we've used. Just never heard it called Beer Ear before. Great description, though!

Grand Prairie! Dive capital of the Southwest!!!!
I live out in that area and have always wondered about that "lake", just looking at it you get the feeling you should be on top of it and not under it.

*Crosses Mountain Creek Lake off the To Dive list...*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom