Most reliable time for Flower Gardens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is Keys Shuttle if you don't want to rent a car. It'll probably cost you more than the rental car but at least you won't have to drive or incur the rental risk.

You don't have to get a hotel room the last night. The Spree will let you bunk on board the last night after you return to port. The galley will be closed and you'll have to be off the boat by 9am next morning but at least you'll have a place to stay.
I was talking about flying to Houston, then driving down to the coast for the FGs. Nice that the Spree will let you bunk over the night in port tho.

Just got off the flower gardens trip from this past weekend... During the 7 dives I saw (2) Hammerheads, (2)Tigers and hundreds Silky Sharks. I also caught a glimpse of a large a Manta Ray.

The oil rig dive was fantastic. We dove around a working dive platform.

I noticed some rather "in-experienced" divers making mistakes (losing weights, separating from their groups...etc). Personal opinion: I don't think flower gardens trips are good for beginner divers and testing out new gear (for the first time).

Overall my dive partner and I were happy to get some good dives in. A big thanks goes out to the crew. Ms. Wendy kept our bellies full between dives.

Water temp was around 72 degrees water was not too bad. Had a good night dive. Looking forward to another flower gardens trip.

Last edited:
Thanks for the trip report! One of these days, I'm going to have to try an early spring trip. Alas, work makes that problematic, but I look forward to getting out there again this summer. I totally agree with you that the FG isn't a good spot for new or inexperienced divers. It can be totally still and like swimming in an aquarium, but it can be rough and ripping...sometimes within just minutes of each other! Glad you had a good time!

I am scheduled to do the trip on FLING on July 2,3 and 4th. Should be a nice 3 day trip. Anyone else on board??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom