Most marine life?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive n00b

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Wife and I are still on the fence in terms of where to go for our vacation at the end of march.

The short list is now Roatan, Hawaiian Cruise, Western Caribbean Cruise or a week in Kona.

From a strictly diving perspective, where you you recommend to see the most marine life? We'd love to just be surrounded by schools of fish and colorful coral (I guess this is kinda the holy grail for most divers).

Our last dives were at Stuarts Cove in the Bahamas and in Punta Cana DR. We've seen some of the big stuff, like sharks and rays, but weren't overly impressed with the volume and variety of fish (aside from the occasional group of yellow tail snappers, and in the bahamas Lionfish).

We'd love to see lots of stuff, big, small and otherwise. Turtles would be super awesome too.

So the question is, if you wanted to take your significant other somewhere the offered relatively easy diving, and a bunch of marine life that would solidify their love for diving, where would it be???

Cheers!

The Caribbean has far less biodiversity than Asia, and the Philippines are a center of biodiversity. Can't speak for Hawaii as I've never dived there, but a good percentage of their marine life is endemic (found only there) which might be interesting. Of course budget may preclude a trip to the PI or Asia.

In the Caribbean Roatan has a lot of diversity and big fish as well as all the little ones! It is coming on strong for Sea Horses and at the same time big Grouper are common!

Fiji is in expensive and Bligh Water is some of the most diverse in the world! Pygmy Sea horses to Leaf fish and Frogs! Also Soft coral capital of the world and the friendliest people on earth! The Dollar is over 2 to 1 right now and air fare is very good!

More info and pictures here: Two Tanked Productions HD & SD Underwater Productions and video services

Here is a sea horse that is 3/16" big!
820__MG_4966_Pigmy_Sea_Horse_Fiji_Aggressor_III_07.jpg

Over 30 different Nudibranchs and Flat worms:
820__MG_5406_Blue_Flat_Worm_FA_III_07.jpg

Thanks for the replies thus far guys! Unfortunately time and financial constraints will keep us from going to Asia on this trip, and flights to Fiji from Toronto run about $3K per person, so that's out for this trip as well.

As for the Roatan suggestion, I've been reading conflicting posts on SB. Many make Roatan seem like mecca for divers, and then there are the odd few with complaints about the viz and lack of marine life. Its those posts that have me 2nd guessing Roatan a bit. Starting to get the feeling that the reason everyone on here loves it so much is because the ease and volume of diving it affords and not necessarily the quality. Can anybody comment on that?

We aren't looking to dive all day every day. We will probably only suck back 6 or 8 tanks each, but we want to pick a destination where the quality of the dives is top notch.

Thanks again!

List the ports on the Caribbean cruise so people can comment on them - at some ports you may as well do something else. Also it somewhat depends when/where the ship docks.

For example Grand Cayman at 7AM opens up a lot more options than Grand Cayman at 10am. Since you're tendered on/off, you can't get to the better dive boats if it's later and the diving in town, while easy (two sites are walking distance) and good, isn't the best anymore due to the volume of previous cruise divers. At times I saw 2-3 ships in the harbor, not sure what that does to the transfer times. Someone mentioned that the 3rd ship can hurt the viz as it stays in position on thrusters. Eden Rock, one of the sites in town is literally in front of where they moor.

There are diveops that cater to the cruise traffic (Foster's) but they have much larger boats. Any of 1/2 dozen diveops often mentioned in the Cayman forum limit divers to 6-8 per trip, it's better than 18-24 with Fosters.

I've read that one cruise line moors off Lahaina on Maui now, but the main cruise port is east in Kahului, probably 30-45 mins. each way to the diveboats/shoredives in West Maui or south around Kihei. There's little to no diving near Kahului - there might be one diveop IIRC.

To beat the tradewinds, the Kihei boats go out really early, most around 6-7am so I doubt you could get over there in time unless it's a next morning stay over. A couple of the diveops in West Maui cater to the cruise schedule (Lahaina and Maui Dive shop afaik) with later departures and single tank afternoon dives. Due to the trades, the afternoon boats often dive just off Maui.

We saw some of the largest schools of fish ever offshore of Maui. Hundreds of butterflys, moorish idols etc. - literally more than you can count. But it was mostly off the backside of Lanai than Maui itself - about an hour ride offshore.

Sites like Shark Condos (130' off Molokini) or the St. Anthony wreck just off Maui (60' - dozens of turtles actually live on the boat) are regularly good. Multiple dive/snorkel boats moor inside Molokini crater daily so the fish are used to a handout - it's not sanctioned but it happens. Talk about fishlife..lol. It's shallow, clear diving - a long swim to break 60' in some areas. I've twice seen reef sharks resting on the sand and once a frogfish hunting in the staghorn.

For turtles Kauai is almost a given. Cruse ships moor at Nawiliwili near Lihue. A few miles south of there is the Poipu area, good for both shorediving and local boat diving. Sheraton Caverns is a boat dive there teeming with huge turtles. There are only a few diveops (SeaSports, Fathom Five ??) in that area so check scheduling. It's riddled with sunken lava tubes and they sleep under the ledges. I've seen everything from 4-5' (loggerhead?) turtles to smaller green turtles that circled around us the entire dive. Didn't exceed 60' IIRC.

I also snorkeled off Poipu Beach, dozens of butterflys and tangs just off the breakwater. If you have kids, there's a flat calm beach area where they can see fish in 3' of water.

Since Hawaii is volcanic substrate, in some areas it's not the beautiful, colorful coral on coral like you might've seen off Nassau. Otoh, in some areas the staghorn is so dense that you can't see the bottom.

The vis is outstanding, probably twice that of Roatan. Once it must've exceeded 200' horizontally - on the surface I could look down and read lettering on people's BC's 80-90' below.

I've done a couple dives off the North Wall on Grand Cayman that matched that also. They warn you to watch your depth as the water is so clear you have no particles to reference as you're dropping. Way down the wall you often see big pelagics feeding. Not sure if it's a doable location from a cruise ship, probably would be if you have all day.
Starting to get the feeling that the reason everyone on here loves it so much is because the ease and volume of diving it affords and not necessarily the quality. Can anybody comment on that?
That's certainly a fair assessment. We did a cheap(er) week on Roatan and had some great dive experiences (sharks, dolphins - paid dives) turtles, grouper, but I'd guess the viz all week in Roatan was about 60-70' everywhere we dove. But at $25-35/dive you get more than you pay for.

We did the AKR dolphin dive (60' dive) the highlight was interacting with them, the lowlight was waiting about 20mins. for them to show up on a vast sandy plain - one poor crab spotted while waiting must've thought his world was ending - we have 4 photogs in our group...lol

A week of diving on Roatan was hit or miss. We mostly dove the north (West End area) and saw turtles on average once per day in 3-4 dives. At some sites there were more fish than you can count, at others comments were made by several in my group back on the boat about how few fish/animals were seen. One site was almost barren, the DM commented that it had been epic the week earlier. Typically north side diving goes deeper down the wall first followed by a shallower second dive. The south side is often shallow for the whole dive.

Anthony's Key does cruise dives or you can do a day at Cocoview. Coconut Tree Divers in the west end is another option, they do two afternoon dives that should allow time to get back to the ship - maybe not the 2nd dive depending on your sail time. There's shopping/food in the West End also for the post-dive - and most of the nightlife. At AKR or CCV, you do everything there.

No experience with Kona - I've been there but not dove, but the two epic dives, the Mantas and the Black Water dive are done at night. So a stay there would seem necessary. Volcanoes Natl' Monument is worth the ride also.

hth,

Last edited:
The short list is now Roatan, Hawaiian Cruise, Western Caribbean Cruise or a week in Kona.

From a strictly diving perspective, where you you recommend to see the most marine life? We'd love to just be surrounded by schools of fish and colorful coral (I guess this is kinda the holy grail for most divers).
Colorful coral just ain't going to happen in Hawaii. The underwater world is entirely different there.

The fish species are also different.

Definitely worth a look see - If you have not been there.

If you are looking for lots of colorful coral and fish, the healthiest reef in the Caribbean the reefs surrounding Old Providence Island, has it. When I am there for a week of diving I usually see a school of rays once or twice during the week and turtles show up almost daily.
I am a bit biased being from there so please don’t take my word and do your research.
San Andres Island also has some great reefs the fish life there is not as good as in Old Providence, from being over fished by the locals but still good reefs.
Undercurrent.org has a few articles on the dive there and try this link for some general information about the Seaflower Reserve.
http://www.unesco.org/mabdb/br/brdir/directory/biores.asp?mode=all&code=COL+05

I also know there is a direct flight to San Andres out of Montreal in the winter months.
http://www.unesco.org/mabdb/br/brdir/directory/biores.asp?mode=all&code=COL+05

Thanks for the replies thus far guys! Unfortunately time and financial constraints will keep us from going to Asia on this trip, and flights to Fiji from Toronto run about $3K per person, so that's out for this trip as well.

As for the Roatan suggestion, I've been reading conflicting posts on SB. Many make Roatan seem like mecca for divers, and then there are the odd few with complaints about the viz and lack of marine life. Its those posts that have me 2nd guessing Roatan a bit. Starting to get the feeling that the reason everyone on here loves it so much is because the ease and volume of diving it affords and not necessarily the quality. Can anybody comment on that?

We aren't looking to dive all day every day. We will probably only suck back 6 or 8 tanks each, but we want to pick a destination where the quality of the dives is top notch.

Thanks again!

As DeputyDan said, Hawaii's reefs are not colorful. In fact they are mostly just lava rock. No big colorful sponges or sea fans. There are lots of fish, but not like most Caribbean destinations. We liked the diving there, saw lots of butterflyfish, eels, and some turtles but the reefs themselves were very dull.
me with a school of butterfly fish at Kona
ButterflyRobin0062.jpg

you can see the reefs in background.

Roatan is definitely a place you should check out. Yes, there used to be complaints about the fishlife there, but it has defiinitely made a big comeback. I think they had a problem with over-fishing by the locals. That seems to have changed in the past few years. We were there in Nov 2008 and thought the fishlife was fantastic! The vis is lower than at some Caribbean destinations at some dive sites but that is mostly because the water is so rich with life and nutrients. The things we saw there that really made us happy were all the seahorses, pipefish, squid, and smaller aquatic critters. There were schools of fish, and the usual angelfish and snappers and groupers, but seeing a seahorse on almost every reef was special. :D There are lots of shallow dives, wrecks, deep walls, swim-throughs, too. The reefs are VERY colorful and lush. We have been diving quite a while and we think the reefs there in Roatan are the healthiest we have seen in the Caribbean!!!!

Me with a seahorse I found on the shore dive at CCV
20Nov08_Seahorse084.jpg

The northside of island has different topography and fishlife from the southside, too. Each resort dives in that area so if you stay on northside, you will most likely only dive that area. Ditto the southside. There are some smaller dive ops and hotels on the West end, too. There are all-inclusives that specialize in dive dive dive vacations and then the independent ops on West End are ala carte diving. Just pick whichever suits your vacation needs and price range.
Our favorite place in the whole Caribbean is CoCoView Resort in Roatan. Welcome to CoCo View Resort
my trip report and photos and videos can be seen here: CoCoView Resort, 2008

We were there during the rainy season so vis was lower than normal for a few days early in the week when it rained alot. After that the vis cleared up. So if vis is very important, I would NOT go during the rainy season, Oct-Dec. Even with the lower vis, we loved the diving there. The sheer walls were fabulous and so was the fishlife. :D
Can't wait to go back.

robin:D

Thanks again!

Whomever is posting that is smoking their underwear. :rofl3:

Roatan, Cozumel, Bonaire. You aren't going to go wrong with any of them. They will all offer what you want under water.

Roatan is fantastic, but Fiji booked through a resort like Beqa Lagoon Resort is less than that for a week from LAX! LAX form your location can't be more than 600.00 us and I am sure you can find it cheaper? But you can't go wrong with Roatan, see the travel section of my web site! I have seen 200ft plus and it happens a lot!

Sea Horse in Roatan:
806_P8230128_Yellow_Sea_Horse_BIBR_06.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom