Most marine life?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A 150 plus day! In Roatan!
600_IMG_4314_Pillar_Coral_Mango_Bite_BIBR_07.jpg

Awesome...Thanks so much for all of your input guys!
I think we've decided on Roatan. Now all that's left is confirming that the weather and conditions will be good for us in early April, choosing between Infinity Bay and Mayan Princess resorts, and researching diving with Mayan Divers.

If any of you are able to help with any of those questions as well, I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers!

Try Bay Islands Beach Resort, Small, personal, nice accommodations, great people, good food, three boat dives a day, and unlimited shore diving! Spooky Channel is right in front and it is close to both Coxen Hole and West End. Good Boats as well! Not nearly as crowded as The Princess!

I think we've decided on Roatan. Now all that's left is confirming that the weather and conditions will be good for us in early April, choosing between Infinity Bay and Mayan Princess resorts, and researching diving with Mayan Divers.

If any of you are able to help with any of those questions as well, I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers!
From Undercurrent.org's seasonal dive planner:

http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/planner.shtml

Honduras

During our coldest winter months, northers can blow down and disrupt the diving. The rainy season starts in October or November and runs into February, but it doesn't usually affect visibility that much. The no-see-ums are usually the worst during wet weather. The hottest months are March and August.

I haven't been to Roatan, so I don't have an opinion, but I can't help noticing that Papa Bear's excellent picture is fish-less. Not one fish. If you are looking to "be surrounded by schools of fish and colorful coral," you may be disappointed. My impression--based solely on reading posts on Scubaboard--is that Roatan is great for Caribbean macro-lovers, but you might not get the fish you are looking for.

If you are looking to "be surrounded by schools of fish and colorful coral," you may be disappointed. My impression--based solely on reading posts on Scubaboard--is that Roatan is great for Caribbean macro-lovers, but you might not get the fish you are looking for.

I haven't been to Roatan, so I don't have an opinion

:shakehead:

What spawns this type of silliness?

:shakehead:

What spawns this type of silliness?
The kind of silliness where you let your reader assess the value of your post by giving him as much information as possible? You find that silly?

I find this silly:

Whomever is posting that is smoking their underwear. :rofl3:

people who :rofl3: at their own unfunny jokes. Smoking underwear!!!:rofl3:

Roatan, Cozumel, Bonaire. You aren't going to go wrong with any of them. They will all offer what you want under water.
I find this silly too, coming from somebody who's only dived outside the Caribbean once, if your profile is accurate. How about a more temperate assessment, like, "Roatan has as much fish and coral as any other Caribbean destination I have visited." If true, that would be more helpful, wouldn't it? Letting him know the limitations of your comparison?

If he reads my post he will benefit from the link to an excellent resource at Undercurrent--the main point of my post--and hopefully do some more reading here in other threads by other members who have been to Roatan and may have a different perspective.

Vladimir - you really should defer to those of us who have been to Roatan when assessing the state of the reefs and fishlife.

vladimir:
I haven't been to Roatan, so I don't have an opinion.

Does that sound like an assessment to you? How could I more clearly defer to those who have been there and still convey to the OP that there are differing opinions not represented in this thread?

I think we've decided on Roatan.
Don't forget about the bugs! Roatan is notorious for their "no-see-ums", so be sure to bring plenty of DEET. Otherwise, it should do well for you. Just my 2 psi. Woody

Cheers!

I haven't dived with a lot of shops, but Coco View on Roatan offered something that I've only seen there. On the way home from the two tank dives on their boats, they drop you and your buddy...or just you along the wall and you make your way home on your own. Kind of a nice change from following a divemaster every dive.
I've only dived Roatan and Belize in the Caribbean and they're pretty much the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom