Most Marine Life in Kauai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anje77o

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, I will be heading to Kauai in mid-November. Any recommendations? I'd like to visit maybe just two sites and dive there as much as time permits. I'm definitely diving Koloa Landing. All I'm interested in is marine life with hopefully great visibility, not so much topography, caves, shipwrecks, etc.

Mid November is a great time for Kauai diving. You can't go wrong with Koloa Landing as it is one of the best overall critter dives on the island. I personally dive there on many of my days off. Upon arrival you can feel free to contact me and I'd be happy to send you any "insider info" on critters that are currently there and likely spot to encounter them. Turtles aside, the critters are consistent throughout the day. Afternoons are generally less crowded down there.

For many years I have considered Hale O Honu on the west side to be certainly among the very best of critter dives on the island. Currently there is even a small population of Hawksbill turtles there which is both fantastic and rare. Several frogfish are there there along with flame angels, bandit angels, a dragon moray, numerous nudibranchs and much more. Turtles, octopus, lion fish (non-invasive), bi-color anthers, countless eels, and invertebrates are the norm day to day. Whitetip reef sharks are currently there as well - including at least 3 juveniles.

There are numerous high quality operations here with great dive professionals here as well.

If I can help with any info please feel free to contact me and ask any questions you may have. If you need to borrow a cooler, mat or weights for your Koloa Landing day I'd be happy to let you borrow them as well.

Have a wonderful week. Hope you are getting excited about your upcoming trip.

A

An additional thought on your trip...

If you want to go big while on Kauai and experience the best of Hawaii diving....Look into Niihau charters. They can't always go in November, but if you can make the trip - NIIHAU DIVING IS UNREAL!!

A

Thanks for the helpful response.

I don't have enough dives logged yet to feel comfortable diving Niihau.

Thank you for letting me know about Hale O Hanu, I'm definitely adding it to my list. I can't find it on a map, where is it exactly? I need to book my dives soon.

What's your opinion on when to dive to avoid heavy surges, morning?

So far I plan to book dives at Koloa Landing and hopefully find me a company that will take me to Sheraton Cavern and Halo O Hanu. Marine Life is what I'm looking for but Sea Turtles is definitely on top of my list for all dives that I do, after all, they're why I decided to get certified after experiencing Snuba in Maui. =)

If I can just find two spots with the most critters, which of the 3 spots I listed are on top of your list?

Question, I'm hiking and diving on this trip. Where should I avoid hiking the day after a dive? Where is elevation too high?

An additional thought on your trip...

If you want to go big while on Kauai and experience the best of Hawaii diving....Look into Niihau charters. They can't always go in November, but if you can make the trip - NIIHAU DIVING IS UNREAL!!

A

I would strongly second this recommendation. I did Ni'ihau with Fathom Five in June, and it was far and away the best three dives I've done on the Hawaiian Islands. Loved the diving around Koloa as well. Lots to see!

Thanks for the helpful response.

I don't have enough dives logged yet to feel comfortable diving Niihau.

Thank you for letting me know about Hale O Hanu, I'm definitely adding it to my list. I can't find it on a map, where is it exactly? I need to book my dives soon.

What's your opinion on when to dive to avoid heavy surges, morning?

So far I plan to book dives at Koloa Landing and hopefully find me a company that will take me to Sheraton Cavern and Halo O Hanu. Marine Life is what I'm looking for but Sea Turtles is definitely on top of my list for all dives that I do, after all, they're why I decided to get certified after experiencing Snuba in Maui. =)

If I can just find two spots with the most critters, which of the 3 spots I listed are on top of your list?

Question, I'm hiking and diving on this trip. Where should I avoid hiking the day after a dive? Where is elevation too high?

Glad to be of help. I certainly understand and respect your feeling on Niihau.

Hale O Honu is located just to the west of Port Allen small boat harbor. There are a couple of options for divers seeking a charter there. It is not available for access from shore safely for visiting divers. While I currently work for Bubbles Below Scuba charters out of Port Allen, there are two other companies that dive Hale O Honu as well. Garden Island divers (Port Allen) and Explore Kauai Scuba (Kekaha). I don't believe they would be able to dive the Caverns and Hale O Honu on the same charter but you could certainly inquire with them. The Caverns is located a considerable distance away and it would have to be a very calm day for their boats to reach both sites. They are at the same time two nice personalized and small operations with great reviews. While mother nature always have the final say, we do have the ability to dive both of these sites on the same charter if the conditions are appropriate. We wouldn't venture to Poipu for the caverns if it was going to be a rough trip that would take away from your enjoyment based on rough water transit. Again, regardless of who you choose to dive with - you should get excellent treatment from the operations that travel to Hale O Honu. Should you decide to dive out of Port Allen the only operation that sometimes dives Hale O Honu would be Seaport Divers. The Caverns are only a 5-10 min trip from that harbor.

Mornings are almost always the calmest waters throughout the year as trade winds are at their strongest in the am. There isn't likely to be south swell at the time of your visit, but afternoon trade wind swell is possible.

It is a certainty that you will get numerous turtle encounters on your dives and I think you will be very excited and pleased with the volume of turtles and other critters you encounter based on your dive site choices.

I think you would be thrilled with a morning or afternoon of diving at Koloa Landing. The shore dives don't need to be booked far in advance and you could choose or be guided as to the best days for booking when you arrive or shortly before. Vis is consistent there as long as there hasn't been lots of rain or out of season swell.

As for critters I feel that Hale O Honu is the best critter dive on the island. It's a HUGE site that as I mentioned is loaded with critters. A charter out of Port Allen or Kekaha could get you there plus another critter spot in the area - or Sheraton Caverns weather cooperating.

Hiking should be fine just about anywhere other than Waimea Canyon as far as after dives. I can suggest some hike based on you desire for location around the island. Lots of beautiful spots to go both coastal and inland. Waimea is WELL over 1,000 feet and you would want to avoid it after diving.

Thanks for the opportunity to help out and feel free to keep the questions coming.
A

Aloha anje77o!
I can't really add any info on top of what aquaman posted, he covered pretty much everything pretty well. I am with "Explore Kauai Scuba" and we leave out of a small boat harbor just outside of Waimea. If the conditions aren't too "adventurous", we can easily make it to Sheraton Caverns on first dive and Hale O Honu(close to our harbor) for the 2nd. On a 7:30am charter we can usually go wherever we want comfortably and fast if the winds weren't blowing throughout the night. What's nice is even if the winds pickup once at Sheraton Caverns, it's an easy coast downhill back to Hale O Honu and to the harbor. Of course, all of this is done while looking for spinner dolphins, an occasional bottle nose dolphin encounter, or whatever else we may find! Our trips are never rushed and never on a time crunch. We actually hate going back into the harbor! haha!

As Aquaman noted pretty much all the dive operations here are pretty solid and great at what they do. If you would like a 6 diver max/non rushed dive trip, we'd love to have you! If you are interested in hiking, I have hiked most of the trails on Kauai, some that aren't even trails! I doubt divers want to hear about hiking on here(ha!), so feel free to direct message me on that one!

I would strongly second this recommendation. I did Ni'ihau with Fathom Five in June, and it was far and away the best three dives I've done on the Hawaiian Islands. Loved the diving around Koloa as well. Lots to see!

You must of been lucky enough to dive with Jessie from Fathom Five then?

Thanks everyone for the help. I've emailed Explore Kauai Scuba and Fathom Five a few days ago, no one has replied. I think I need to call. Anyone know how soon before I should book?

AquamanKauai, thank you so much for your posts!!

I am with "Explore Kauai Scuba" and respond to every e-mail we get daily. Maybe the internet gremlins ate it?:bounce:ha! Either way, a call always is great or direct message me your e-mail and I'll make sure all your questions gets answered. We love to share our passion for the ocean and would love to have you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom