Question Kauai diving in Late November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Codeman00

Contributor
Reaction score
I've read several threads about the diving in Kauai in different months but didn't realize how much the currents and swells affected the diving late in the year. My wife and I will be visiting the last week of November and wanted to know if anyone can help give the scoop on Kauai diving late in the calendar year. We are most interested in boat diving but would be okay with some shore diving also (which I have found reviews in a different thread). We'd like to get 4 days of diving in. We haven't picked out a location yet since it is up in the air based on a timeshare match availability....

I've noticed that most of the dive sites are concentrated on the south side of the island. Which cities are best to dive from in regards to more concentration of interesting dive sites? What dive ops? Any possibility of other dives like to the forbidden island at that time or is that impossible due to swells? Any info is appreciated. @AquamanKauai @KauaiScuba or anyone else.

That's great info. From reading the other threads, it almost seemed like diving in November was about nonexistent. Glad to see that there are options. Looking forward to visiting the island for the first time.

Aloha! Kauai has great diving year round. In November there's a chance of big north swells, so north exposed dive sites might be off the table, but plenty to dive on south and south west side. The Poipu/Koloa area have the most dive shops in one area, which also means multiple boats possible at the same site. The furthest south west harbor is Kikiaola Harbor and has options that other boats don't visit due to out of their normal range. Explore Kauai Scuba and Bubbles do cross to Niihau year round if the swell/weather permits. Kikiaola Harbor is the closest harbor to Niihau, which means fastest crossing times. While late November to early December is early for the humpback season, there will still be some around at that time, always a treat to see! Let me know if you have any further questions. I can help with non diving Kauai questions as well since it's your first time here! You'll love it!

A Boilermaker!!

Stayed at the Pano Kai (time share resort) in Kapaa when we were there. Most of the diving/dive shops, as you have already found, will be out of the Poipu area. We dove with Fathom Five and enjoyed them - met at their shop and they transported us to their boat, another few minutes away. Our DM indicated that many of the dive shops were good - thought that was pretty cool of him to say.

For reference, from Kapaa to Fathom Five (Poipu) is about 18 miles, but can take about 25-30 minutes to get there due to traffic on the one main highway. Was usually congested at the beginning of our drive and opened up as we got closer to Poipu.

Shore dive Koloa Landing - can't remember if we met at the dive shop for this one or just drove to the site and met the DM. It was just my buddy and me and the DM and his girlfriend. There is an east and west site, so 2 dives. Be sure to have your dive boots (or something else) if you dive this site as you have to walk across a rocky area in the water to get to depth where you then put your fins on. I'd taken full foot fins with me and wasn't warned about the rocks - did a number on one of my toes!

Think we avoided the Niihau dives, because of the time of year, cost, and the length of time the trip would take and we had our non-diving spouses to consider. @KauaiScuba can probably tell you who has the fastest boat to get you there - it's like a 2 to 2 ½ hr boat ride one way, but it seems from my research there is a RIB (and maybe because of where it leaves from) that cuts the ride down to an hour - I don't think I'm making that up.

While late November to early December is early for the humpback season, there will still be some around at that time, always a treat to see!
We were in Kauai in early April one year which is at the end of the humpback season - there weren't supposed to be any around but we are lucky on our first dive and had one swimming near us. Was glad I had my camera.

Aloha!

Came up for air long enough to see this thread! November has traditionally had some pretty awesome diving conditions on the south side without question. While opportunities to dive north, east and west shore could come up - I simply wouldn't bank on them. The southern exposures will typically be by far the best conditions for you. It sounds like you've been reading about Koloa Landing which is likely to be the only shore dive possible in November. Having just hauled out of the water there earlier today I can continue to praise and suggest that site at the highest level. It's entry is fairly easy and it's just an all around incredible dive. Some of the most amazing critters the Hawaiian Islands have to offer can be encountered at this site. Turtles are a given in abundance most days. The dive today alone include Kangaroo Nudibranchs (amazing), octopus, leaf and devil scorpion fish, multiple flying gurnards (aliens?), an eagle ray, the cutest peppered moray ever, and ..... well, the list goes on. The shallow nature allows for dives in excess on an hour! Many visitors do this dive multiple days during their visit because of how incredible it is. It might be a good kick off dive to knock off the dust and get familiar with Hawaii diving and what you can expect to see. If you are going out of Poipu which is the primary boat diving harbor (just in that 3 companies utilize it's convenience and close proximity to both resorts and dozens of dive sites) - You'd have Seasport Divers, Dive Kauai, and Fathom Five shops to choose from. Koloa Landing is less than 5 min away from any of those shops btw. If you have time prior to travel or while you are here - take a look at Hawaiifishes.com and Marinelifephotography.com to get excited about what you may see, or have seen during your dives. If you a fellow nudi-lover, SeaslugsofHawaii.com is an amazing site too. While I work for Seasport Divers, I've been on all the boats here over the years and am familiar with the different operations. I'd be happy to offer a suggestion for a Divemaster to seek out no matter who you choose as your Dive Co. During your visit to Kauai I also offer divers the option of borrowing fish books, coolers, chairs, towels, mats, etc. if you so desire. Depending on where you stay some places don't provide some of these items. I pretty constantly have these things going in and out - so it's very easy for me to provide them to anyone who is staying on or near the south shore. If you'd like I can also send a message with ideas on great beaches, hikes, places to eat .... In short, whatever you need that I can possibly help with. Sending a direct message is the quickest way to get a reply, but I check threads as often as I can.

As John Hall was told - "Yes!" wonderful dive OPs here. Lots of very professional experienced guides who LOVE what they do! I personally feel very lucky to work beside the guides with various companies here. I'm excited for you and your upcoming trip. Again, reach out with anything I can help you with above or below water!
Cheers and enjoy your summer!
A

Think we avoided the Niihau dives, because of the time of year, cost, and the length of time the trip would take and we had our non-diving spouses to consider. @KauaiScuba can probably tell you who has the fastest boat to get you there - it's like a 2 to 2 ½ hr boat ride one way, but it seems from my research there is a RIB (and maybe because of where it leaves from) that cuts the ride down to an hour - I don't think I'm making that up.

We were in Kauai in early April one year which is at the end of the humpback season - there weren't supposed to be any around but we are lucky on our first dive and had one swimming near us. Was glad I had my camera.

Explore Kauai Scuba(my shop) use to have a RIB boat but has a nice full cabin boat (still only 6 passengers) now with twin 300 outboards, she moves and is named after that channel, "Kaulakahi". We are the closest harbor(Kikiaola) to Niihau and travel time is 1 hour each way, AMAZING!. Not to be biased but it's worth a smooth car ride further west to cut off boat travel time. Bubbles Below has the 2nd fastest crossing time leaving from Port Allen and Fathom Five/Seasport leave from the farthest harbor, Kukui'ula. Explore Kauai Scuba & Bubbles Below offer year round trips to Niihau & Mana Crack, swell depending. We actually get out there quite a bit in the winter and there is an increased chance of a humpback encounter underwater there, we got 4 underwater encounters this past winter!!!

Here's a link to a book or phone app option to answer all kinds of Kauai questions. There's a whole scuba section in there too. Kauai Island - Revealed Travel Guides

As for an April encounter like that, that's rad! That whale probably didn't want to leave vacation!

Like I said, this has all be great information and helped with my research on where to stay on the island. It's appreciated.

I was first looking at staying in the Koloa area but it appears to be much more reasonable to stay on the east side. Not knowing the island at all, is it reasonable and easy to drive the 14 miles daily from as far as Kapa'a to dive out of Koloa many days during the week?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom