Most Durable / Best Quality Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had good luck with the higher end Suunto and the shearwater computers. Some of the lower end Oceanic computers have pressure/depth sensors that go bad, and can't always be replaced if the computer is discontinued and no longer supported. That's how most of my computers have "failed". They show I am still on a dive after the dive ends. I have never had that happen on my D6i, steel, or shearwater computers.

I have had good luck with the higher end Suunto and the shearwater computers. Some of the lower end Oceanic computers have pressure/depth sensors that go bad, and can't always be replaced if the computer is discontinued and no longer supported. That's how most of my computers have "failed". They show I am still on a dive after the dive ends. I have never had that happen on my D6i, steel, or shearwater computers.
That's what happened to my Oceanic.

Shearwater absolutely looks nice.

Honestly it happened on my higher end oceanic computers as well, not just the lower end ones. I like the Suunto Eon steel a little better than the Shearwater, but everyone that has tried them likes them both. I have had a couple of odd issues with the transmitter/computer connection with the Shearwater Ai's but they have been resolved quickly and could have been user error.

B

Went to a dive shop on my lunch break and the guy working there said he has had his D6 since 2002 and over 3,000 dive.

I have always liked the Oceanic VEO series but recently purchased a Shearwater Perdix with the idea that if it didn't live up to the hype I could sell it and recover most of my money. A couple of dive trips later and now there is no way I would go back. I'll keep my VEO 3.0 as a backup but the Shearwater's ease of use and quality of display puts it in an entirely different class.

While I notice many are recommending the 'best' computer on the market (Shear water) but the models you are recommending simply hasn't been on the market long enough to know their durability or life span.

I'm intending to purchase one myself, but mainly due to functionality, design and outstanding customer service as I don't know how they will age

Something like a Cochran or Delta P with a couple decades service life might meet durability requirements.

The question I'm left with is in 2037, will my needs in a dive computer be remotely similar to what they are today? I view a computer of any kind highly parishable.

Regards,
Cameron

like a cell phone (which many change nearly at the frequency they change their underwear), a dive computer really is a disposable entity.....

not sure the stigma that it is a 20 year item folks think it is.....

Just replaced our 20 yo Oceanic Data Plus's with Pro plus 3s. Great deal and air integration were the primary drivers. Also, one of them was showing some stress cracking around the base where the clear past meets the black part. Still using them as back up.
I started out with two Pro Pluses in 2002. The pressure sensors went out in 2010, Oceanic replaced them with Pro Plus 2s for nominal cost. The PP2s are still going strong today and are used by my wife and daughter

just have experience with one so far shearwater perdix AI, mine broke after a week screen went blank at 86 foot shearwater replace it but didn't use the new one so far

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom