Most consequential 2 years in Diving History

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jadairiii

Contributor
Reaction score
I am a strong believer that 1974 to 1976 were the most consequential 2 years in sport diving history.

We entered 1974 with basically upgraded buoyancy vests (power inflators were optional), optional SPG’s and virtually no one using octopuses. Only one company in the world was producing a back buoyancy device (Watergill At-Pac) and most dive companies were still offering double hose regulators.

Exit 1976, every major training agency is requiring and teaching SPG’s, they are now teaching the use of octopus regulators. Every major scuba manufacturer are selling back BC’s, octopus regulators and all BC’s are coming with power inflators. Not to mention, many scuba manufacturers are selling some kind of “space age” rigs, SP scuba system, Dacor Nautilus, Technisub RAID, and the original At-pac with shell, etc. Not only that, but regulator technology was booming, by 1976 Scubapro introduced the Pilot, and every manufacturer was producing much higher performing regulators.

All in all, I don’t believe any time after 1976 produces so many milestones in such a short period of time.

Scubapro 1974:

Note the single second stage, also the J valve and pull rod and that the Mark V is turret up :wink:.

The store I worked for had these and I wanted one. The store owner would not allow me to use it during classes as he considered it dangerous. The persistent belief that back inflate and wings are dangerous continues to this day.

I converted to an SPG in 1972, did not go to "octopus" safe seconds until around 1982. That was after my one and only OOA event :wink:. I did dispense with the J valve and pull rod with the inclusion of the SPG to my kit.

Notice the Hogarthian-esgue configuration of this (bloated 63# lift) Sportsways kit (1976?). Single piece webbing, SPG on a loop for the waist strap at hip level, strap on (primary) second stage:

Notice also that both the Scubapro and the Sportways "wings" used a forward mounted (to diver) central elbow.

Scubapro 1974:

Note the single second stage, also the J valve and pull rod and that the Mark V is turret up :wink:.

The store I worked for had these and I wanted one. The store owner would not allow me to use it during classes as he considered it dangerous. The persistent belief that back inflate and wings are dangerous continues to this day.

I converted to an SPG in 1972, did not go to "octopus" safe seconds until around 1982. That was after my one and only OOA event :wink:. I did dispense with the J valve and pull rod with the inclusion of the SPG to my kit.

Notice the Hogarthian-esgue configuration of this (bloated 63# lift) Sportsways kit (1976?). Single piece webbing, SPG on a loop for the waist strap at hip level, strap on (primary) second stage:

Notice also that both the Scubapro and the Sportways "wings" used a forward mounted (to diver) central elbow.
You're correct the SP shows up in the 1974 Catalog, but what was interesting Skin Diver didn't review it until 1975, and review a slightly different model. At-Pac was launched in 1970, and Skin Diver reviewed it first in 1972 and again in 1974.

Cool thing about the BCP, which I owned one in 1976, was that the lift was just below 40 lbs, but the Sportsways, 63 lbs! At-Pac was about 60 lbs also.

Another interesting fact, in 1972 the At-Pac was identical to the later BCP, single bag construction, taped seam (of a different color) and it had a Scuba Pro OPV on the right side and the backpack/balance box looked to be able to accommodate a Scubapro single backpack band (or the standard double bands). But by 1974, it had an inner bladder with an outer shell, it had lost the OPV on the bladder and the backpack/balance box no longer could accommodate the Scubapro band.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom